Mount Washington Resort Reviews
9 am 24 Jan 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Mount Washington at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Mount Washington Ski Resort
January 11, 2017
Wendy from Canada
I don't know who wrote the Eyeball Snow Report 16 hours ago but they are completely out to lunch with reports of rain and closed lifts. Maybe they are at a different Mount Washington and not the one in BC? I have been here since Jan. 1. Every day has been below freezing. We have not had any rain. The lifts have been open every day on schedule except for one day when it was so windy they ran the yellow chair instead of the blue one. The snow is excellent and the skiing today was amazing with no lift lines. They have revamped the coffee shop and the new one is awesome with more menu choices and seating spaces.
Mount Washington Ratings
Overall: 3.2. Based on 150 votes and 328 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Mount Washington.
Public Transport: 3.3
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Mount Washington, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Mount Washington, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.3
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.6
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Mount Washington.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Mount Washington, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Mount Washington is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Mount Washington relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Mount Washington, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Mount Washington are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Mount Washington is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 1.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Mount Washington, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.9
(1) Mount Washington usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.7
(1) The staff at Mount Washington are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Mount Washington are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.8
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.9
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.7
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Mount Washington has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Mount Washington, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.4
(1) Not even a kicker at Mount Washington, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Mount Washington, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Mount Washington has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.8
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.5
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.6
(1) Overall, Mount Washington is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.7
(1) Overall, Mount Washington is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 09, 2017
Gord Hyatt from Canada
I posted a negative review last season and wasn't happy. But this year things have changed for the better from bringing back the mid weeker grooming and new restaurant facilities. I have to give the management credit for addressing some issues and making the overall experience on Mt. Washington very pleasant.
January 09, 2017
Puder Luder from Canada
Last year was definitely a transition year for the new ownership group and the executive staff. You are right, the grooming was horrid last year...and it is hard to groom when, at times, they were down to one cat. I know it did not make them happy.
This year, I have noticed such a positive vibe coming from all the staff at Mount Washington and the grooming has been excellent on the days where there hasn't been fresh snow. For me personally, if there is fresh snow, I would prefer limited grooming. That is just me and I know that there are a lot of people out there at the beginner/ intermediate level who need to be on groomers. I am pleased that they are really trying to meet everyone's needs. The new café is fantastic and I really have to commend the leadership/management group with the work they have done in coaching their staff and making sure that customers have a great experience.
I have nothing but positive thing to say about the mountain. I love skiing, I know how fortunate we are to have this great mountain in our backyard and it is only going to get better.
23 year skier at Mount Washington, 10 year member and not an employee. My kids started skiing there when they were 2.5 years and now they are 16 and 13 and can ski anywhere and on anything. We have skied all over the province and the country and we always feel a great deal of pride when we get back on our home mountain.
Looking forward to the incredible season continuing and many great years to come.
January 09, 2017
Goobie from Canada
Best place for skiing and snowboarding on the Vancouver Island. Priced much better, is way cheaper and has shorter lineups than Whistler and surrounding ski hills. Friendly staff and a huge variety of runs for all levels. Advanced and beginner terrain parks and usually tonnes of snow. Super nice, cozy, well-priced lodges to stay in. Restaurants and shops as well as a great selection of rental gear. Gear also available for purchase. 20 minute drive up the mountain, about half an hour from Courtney; the nearest city. Excellent size mountain and Easy Acres runs and magic carpets for beginners. Everyone's (including mine!) favourite place to ski and snowboard. Definitely go there. It's worth it. I'd rate it 8/10 for sure. Best place ever!
January 08, 2017
Georgina Price from Canada
Best Nordic skiing in 30 years at Mt Washington. Excellent grooming, good base and record hours of sunlight.
December 24, 2016
Harry from Canada
As a season pass holder, we were pleased on the first outing of the year that the grooming was well done. Obviously, the 3 new groomers are essential to making a big improvement on what has been a bit of a sore point for the last few years. Exciting with the new ownership! Unfortunately, the first time we went out was the best. Now it seems we are back to maybe it will be groomed and maybe it won't be groomed. Well, the latter seems to be the way it is or I am incredibly unlucky which days I pick to go for a ski. Hearing lots from other skiers as well and it's not good. Maybe it's time to rid the rest of the 'old' staff, get some new blood in there that knows what they are doing and are able to listen and understand when the masses complain. There is lots of pow in the backcountry, so why can't the runs be at least groomed. Just a thought from a Level 3 instructor!
December 21, 2016
Harry from Canada
Hmmm. New owners, 3 new groomers and still a major lack of grooming. What a huge disappointment!
December 19, 2016
Ron from Canada
I am very impressed with the grooming that I have witnessed so far this early season. The lodge improvements are nice also. Looking forward to another great season and to further improvements.
December 08, 2016
Heather Owens from United Kingdom
We visited Washy in 2014 when my son was an instructor there. It was so good that he is returning with a group for a month, this month.The local hostel was brilliant for young people. We found all staff and facilities very good and we have been all over Europe. Go Washy and we hope you have a brilliant season.
December 08, 2016
hockeydoc from Canada
Lots of pissing and moaning is mostly what i've seen on the reviews. Suck it up...it Is the only show in town, and you're fortunate it's in your back yard. Go spend $100 for a lift ticket in Whistler and $400/night for a hotel room, and enjoy the scenic ferry ride btw. New management has clearly spent millions of dollars for the betterment of resort operations; from bringing back mountain biking, new cats, new restaurant, snow making., etc, not to mention more options for pass holders at a lower rate than the previous year. Deflation? When does that ever happen.? Reading the ridiculousness of some of these post has grown tiresome. No affiliation to the mtn.