Mount Washington Resort Reviews
9 pm 05 Dec 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Mount Washington at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Mount Washington Ski Resort
December 01, 2016
Ralph from Canada
The management owes their customers an explanation of the opening delay. How about a refund on my seasons pass for the 2 weeks I could have been skiing? The only local hill not open and not even displaying the base on your website as promised last week. Beautiful early season conditions squandered.
Mount Washington Ratings
Overall: 3.1. Based on 141 votes and 317 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Mount Washington.
Public Transport: 3.3
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Mount Washington, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Mount Washington, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.3
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.6
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Mount Washington.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Mount Washington, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Mount Washington is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Mount Washington relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.4
(1) There are no snow groomers at Mount Washington, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Mount Washington are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Mount Washington is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 1.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Mount Washington, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.9
(1) Mount Washington usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.7
(1) The staff at Mount Washington are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Mount Washington are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.7
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.9
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.6
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Mount Washington has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Mount Washington, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.3
(1) Not even a kicker at Mount Washington, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Mount Washington, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Mount Washington has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.7
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.5
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.6
(1) Overall, Mount Washington is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.7
(1) Overall, Mount Washington is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
November 30, 2016
Sunrize from Canada
Yep, if I were the rest of you all I would stay home!
20cm of fresh powder is down right bad for the soul!
When it snows here it's not like it is 4cm and stops when the groomers get finished. It goes all night and all day! You can't run the groomers 24 hours a day. The snow is wet most times and turns to mashed potatoes by noon. So get a half day pass and get out while the getting is good. They could do a midday groom for the night skiing though. Lineups, pfffff.. Go to Whistler and you will see lineups. Great place and a great atmosphere!
So stay home if ya don't like powder!
November 30, 2016
CHICO from Canada
Usually I have only positive comments, but sorry not this time.
Whistler..open, Cypress..open, Grouse..open, Seymour..open, Mt.Washington..closed. I guess when you're the only game on the Island who cares. Don't say conditions were not right. Get with it. I would think the new ownership group would be doing a better job than this. See you at Whistler.
November 29, 2016
caveat emptor from Canada
Looking forward to the season. Should be a good one with La Nina ruling the Pacific. Here are my gripes. (1) Couldn't the new owners invest to have a functional registration system for people wanting to put their kids in ski school. (2) It's not expensive to buy a web cam that actually works. The camera at the peak is pathetic.
November 29, 2016
The more things change.... from Canada
The more things change the more they stay the same. We are all excited that it has been snowing heavily for a couple of weeks now. The north shore mountains are open and Mt. Washington hasn't even begun to train their seasonal staff. So much for dreams of change with the new ownership group. What was an opportunity to show improved management with an early opening, was wasted. Their Facebook page says: with lots of snow comes lots of work and please stay away. That's a great message to send to people that want to spend money. I guess we can look forward to another season of Noon-erang or No-nerang because it is too much work to open terrain or too expensive to staff the lifts midweek.
One would think the new owners would be trying to get open for business as soon as possible but apparently not. Maybe I expected too much.
November 24, 2016
whiskeyjack from Canada
The gods are good. Pretty please can we ski now?
[note from the editor: post will remain in place for a short time.]
November 15, 2016
chico from Canada
Good to see all the different passes avaliable this year[mid week]etc...See you on the 9th.......
August 31, 2016
Chico from Canada
New changes at the Wash; from grooming to facilities etc. About time. Can't wait. See you soon.
March 26, 2016
Gee from Canada
As has been said before, there appears to be two kinds of reviews on this site: consumers wishing to improve their Mt. Washington ski experience by offering criticism, or fanboys (Mt Washington employees/vested interests?). I would love to see posters disclose their relationship to Mt. Washington, being that this is a review site; it would help consumers separate review from spin. I'll start it off, my only relationship to the business is that I give them money so as to ski at the resort. I don't understand why posters have to resort to calling people names for criticising a service they pay for? To echo someone previous - reminds me of US politics.
March 19, 2016
Caley from Canada
Gorilla rats. Whine in public. Pissy vacationers. Suck it Up! You people who are slamming those with opinions about the grooming sound a lot like The Donald (Trump). Canadians can have their opinions. If they believe the grooming could/should be improved so that they and their families can enjoy their day, perhaps it can be.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you; these are visitors and locals who pay good bucks for a day on the mountain.