Ski Canada - BC

Mount Washington Resort Reviews

Ski Canada - BC

Mount Washington Resort Reviews

CaMount Washington

Use the buttons below to tell us…

Visitor reviews for Mount Washington Ski Resort

• November 04, 2015
    from Canada

Totally support the new Mt. Washington group. Sounds like big plans down the road. More shredding the better. Hope to be spending more $$$ on the mountain. See ya there.

• October 05, 2015
    from Canada

If a snowflake falls in the forest, and no one is there to ski it, does anyone truly get rad?'

As with the near extinction of the once noble and majestic marmot, the Vancouver Island ski bum has suffered a steady decline since the harsh "winter" of 2013. Pow sources were on short supply and already it was hardly enough to feed the well established "resident" skiers. The annual migration of the Australian used to work symbiotically with the ecosytem. Plenty of pow for all. Now they and others are forced to look for sustenance elsewhere; they cannot afford to wait in hopes that the bounty will someday return.

Resort staff are already difficult to retain in long term capacity. Some of them with high levels of training and expertise will be forced to "migrate" elsewhere in the pursuit of powder, and in the case of the professional - the pursuit of survival. With an industry solely based on fickle mother nature, and a general rise in global temperatures, the sub alpine nub we all know and love proves not a reliable source of seasonal income. The ski bums and professionals are forced to adapt or relocate, neither a desirable option.

If only there was an answer to this seemingly unavoidable transition into the new age. What if there were some way to transform the nub into a year round destination...? Well my friends, if you look closely you can still see the skeleton of a once well developed downhill lift accessed mountain bike park. Additionally, Mount Washington is situated at the entrance to beautiful Strathcona Provincial Park. However, with backcountry use sky rocketing year round Old Nubby has failed to capitalize on the market in the slightest. The summer industry at our little mountain was in the early stages of life when it was snubbed out by the shareholders weeks before the start of the summer season.

If you want to support the cause, go to the SaveTheNub website and donate. As you know the resort is for sale; we are starting a crowd funding and campaign to buy the hill and put it in the hands of some folk who know how to run a year round resort destination. We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,

The Knights of the Knub

• September 17, 2015
    from Canada

When I learned to ski, Fat Teddy was still Fat and old Gibby told tall tales of twisties in the candle light of the goat barn. Skis were made of wood and men made of snow. We used to hike for meters to get to the secret stash spots. Now you can hire a hungry patroller to carry you to the top on his back. In those days, all it took was a hair cut and an egg salad sandwich to get on the team. I never would have thought when I was a young man dipping my bun in Rosie's hot soup that a ski instructor and a lifty would be running the show one day.

• April 24, 2015
    from Canada

The year started a bit slow but things got better quickly. I worked hard and was rewarded with some very nice days; not the epic year but great days indeed. See ya next year.

• April 02, 2015
    from Afghanistan

Why so glum chums? Sure, this season we were definitely a few flakes short of a snow cone but Mount Washington has, and will again, deliver the creamy white fluff. Yes, we have management issues, yeah prices are a bit steeper than the well established traverse tracks. With last seasons poor performance the mad larks in the money pit broke the mold when they offered skiing at Whistler Blackcomb and the 100 day guarantee was an industry first. Channel your inner saucer boy and pucker up for next season. It doesn't take an eco-climatologist to recognize that at 1500m our nubbly tree line resort can be warm and a little moist at times. Ski The Nub!

[note from the editor: post edited for the sake of relevance.]

• March 31, 2015
    from Canada

Mount Washington very, very generously refunded a portion of our previous year's seasons passes due to the low snow base last year. It was unexpected and a real bonus. I don't know how you can call them "greedy"!

Also, 6 pack tickets have become transferable, which has been helpful in using them up.

We are darn lucky to have an Island ski resort that we don't have to take a ferry to get to. Let's wish them luck instead of slanging them. Think the management can change the weather? (And they have often had the deepest base in North America.) Let's give them a break, eh?

• March 31, 2015
    from Canada

Bye-bye season of 2014-2015. I got out 7 days this season and the skiing ranged from merely ok to downright bad. Not the mountain's fault. They worked hard with what little snow mother nature sent their way.

Eventually, years like this one will be normal with climate change and the marginal elevation of the hill. People who know more than me think we will likely still enjoy a few more good years before climate change finishes the hill off.

Hopefully, next year returns to normal as I don't know how many more pathetic seasons this hill can handle before they go belly-up.

• March 22, 2015
    from Canada

This is the third season in the past 10 years that Mount Washington has been unable to open or close because of lack of snow. Long range forecasts suggest this will be the new norm. It proves how misleading the claim that the hill has the most annual snowfall of any hill in North America is. I used to buy 6 pak tickets for my family but Mt Washington's snow fall record and their refusal to refund or credit me when seasons are ridiculously short has persuaded me from doing this again. I would never buy a seasons pass given their snowfall record and greedy refund policies.

• March 17, 2015
    from Canada

Free from the island bias that holds this resort in such high regard, I've been unfortunate enough to experience all it had to offer myself, at a very unreasonable price. Second year on the island, second year without a season but not for lack of trying. Both December 12 and March 6 weekends (I thought these were reasonable dates to expect to ski). I booked accommodations and time off work and purchased 6 pack lift tickets; a significant investment. When the times came and there was no snow, we opted to make the best of it as our chalet was pre-booked and non-refundable. We found the snowless resort littered with garbage and completely abandoned. Nothing was open except Ted's, which has only pricey pub fare and is only open from 11am- 3pm daily. Our chalet was over priced and partied out; for $300 a night, I'd expect more than a stack of bagged out mattresses with sheets that don't fit and a dead mouse in the closet. As a consumer I'm angry and feel ripped off. Not because there wasn't any snow, I understand that's out of our control. But when your ski season goes bust, don't rip people off. Refund pass holders: don't sit on my cash and tell me to wait for a better day, I could have taken that money to Whistler or elsewhere. My advice to you, when the hill isn't open, get caught up on your house keeping, spruce up your rental properties, pick up some garbage, make an effort or at least an appearance if you're still charging full price. The ghost town atmosphere with trash blowing in the wind was as depressing as the weather forecast. Other activities or entertainment might help too? Can't go skiing, what about a skating rink, or public hot tub, even a fitness center or small cinema?

• March 04, 2015
    from Canada

Mount Washington acts like a spoil kid. When they have their "epic" snow years, they cramb it down our throats but on the years like now and last, they all but turtle. How many times have we had huge rainfalls at sea level and we check out the mountain report to see what they received, only to see they haven't even updated. They create no excitement,at the least, even when there is nothing to report, it should be updated daily,early in the morning, with something, anything, to make us think someone is alive up there. They wonder why so many of us just go golfing. It's too bad they don't understand they actually have competition. They more we go elsewhere, the more we realize there are options.