Visitor reviews for Mount Washington Ski Resort
January 16, 2019
Lynnie from Canada
Terrible grooming; reports are not accurate. What a shame as last year was great but this year they're back to the old ways. When questioned they say it's hard to groom with the weather but they seem to be able to do great grooming in the board park. Too expensive to ski here to put up with this!
Mount Washington Ratings
Overall: 3.3. Based on 169 votes and 340 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Mount Washington.
Public Transport: 3.3
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Mount Washington, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Mount Washington, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.4
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.7
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Mount Washington.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.1
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Mount Washington, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Mount Washington is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Mount Washington relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Mount Washington, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Mount Washington are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Mount Washington is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 1.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Mount Washington, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Mount Washington usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.8
(1) The staff at Mount Washington are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Mount Washington are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.9
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.8
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Mount Washington has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Mount Washington, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.4
(1) Not even a kicker at Mount Washington, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Mount Washington, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Mount Washington has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.8
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.3
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.6
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.7
(1) Overall, Mount Washington is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.9
(1) Overall, Mount Washington is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 16, 2019
Gord Hyatt from Canada
I was skiing on Jan 15th and found the grooming disgraceful. The last few days have been freeze-thaw conditions with no new snow and very little grooming, leaving people trying to navigate down three day old frozen crud which is unacceptable and unsafe. The few runs that were groomed were overcrowded. Won't be heading up again until they address some of their issues. Not good enough for a hundred bucks a pop!
January 10, 2019
Ghostrider from Canada
Have spent the last afternoon storm skiing the frontside Boom because the lower elevation's snow got wet and sticky:
The best lift infrastructure upgrade would be a T-bar going up into the North Bowl accessed from mid-way down the Boom backside. Having more upper elevation skiing when it's too warm would be awesome and the thought of storm skiing the North Bowl terrain blows my mind.
It would be like the Horstman T-bar at Blackcomb. You could have a junior Freeride World Tour event in that terrain.
December 20, 2018
wang kerr from Canada
Well, it's a new year and conditions have improved but not management. The website is not updated, pic from web cam shows rain but they say -5, some of displayed info is a week old. I feel this is a safety issue that the hill won't address.
It is up to paying customers to judge if the management is hiding the truth..use care when making resort choices.
April 19, 2018
Backslap Bill from Canada
(to the tune of "The Sound of Silence")
Goodbye Gibby my old friend
I guess this really is the end
For in my dreams you were softly sitting
At your desk while I was skiing
And the weather, you were always in the know
From the window
Please bring baaack the breaaakfast burrito
You sir were always in the deep
Up to your waist in healthy sheep
You led your workers, always cold and damp
A shepherd in the darkness with a burnt out lamp
The oil in the fryers will always ebb and flow
'Cause Freight Truck Joe
Makes it up the road, in the snow
And in the parking lot I saw
A thousand people maybe more
People falling without slipping
People driving without seeing
And people getting stuck in places they should not go
They didn't know
Don't park your Prius in a windrow
The lifty said they did not know
What button stops and makes it go
"That kind of stuff is a mechanic's job,
but they're at Raven drinking mochas dawg"
And the squeegee, was burried in the tool shed
The drill was dead
But the supervisors in Tobago.
And yet the people shred and slay
Another epic powder day
And the forecast called for more storming
The red coats blasting in the morning
And the words of the prophets are written on the bump shack walls
Then dispatch calls,
"We thank you for your service, Gibbo"
February 18, 2018
Winter Resident from Canada
The mountain has once again provided another exceptional snow fall in mid February that you would have to go afar to find. Low density snow of 43 cms over night with light cold winds to preserve this snowfall for days. What are you waiting for, get up here. Best mountain resort bar non in Western North America.
December 26, 2017
FRANCOISE from Canada
Excellent grooming job on the Nordic. A pleasure to ski both skate and cj. Classic dry.
March 21, 2017
Bob from Canada
Best Nordic grooming in a decade and conditions are still great. Silky smooth trails and fast skiing.
March 18, 2017
Andrew from Canada
Nordic skiing, over 50 km groomed trails, great conditions, beautiful mountain views, stellar lodge for eating and just hanging out.
March 15, 2017
Jean from Canada
So glad a friend turned me on to your web site. Love that I can I check expected freezing levels etc. With regards to Washy, it has been great all season. Best grooming (sometimes too much;-)) everyone is happy; snow has been awesome. Still skiing 'cause golf course is too wet. If you have never skied our Island secret make plans for next season; dead quiet on mid-week days. Love it.