Ski France

La Plagne Resort Reviews

Visitor reviews for La Plagne Ski Resort

• February 08, 2015
    from France

Here now snow has been good. Off-piste sketchy at the moment but still plenty to do. I had my 4 year old in ski school in the centre piou piou club; very good, she loved it. Have a good trip.

• February 07, 2015
    from United Kingdom

In response to another reviewer's comments, we have just returned from La Plagne, after another great holiday there. Snow was reasonable (considering conditions throughout the Alps so far this year) and improving. There has been a load of new snow in the last week and conditions now look excellent. We find La Plagne a very underrated resort. The Paradiski area is one of the largest ski areas in the world and there is a massive off-piste area, especially if you are prepared to walk a bit. Regarding the enquiry about ski schools, there are several independent outfits based in La Plagne. We tend to use the excellent Reflex school, run by the very affable Christophe Lagu (book via his wife Caroline, who is English). Our boys have been skiing with Christophe since they were your kids ages (they are now in their late 20's) and still insist on having at least one session with him. If Reflex cannot arrange lessons to suit, try Oxygene who are also very good. I'm sure you will have a great time in La Plagne; we are due back there in mid March and are counting the days.

• April 16, 2014
    from United Kingdom

I made an error on my previous review. The chair that's been replaced with a fast one is the Becoin chair, not the Biolley chair. The Biolley is in Courchevel - oops! I also remember the name of the good restaurant next to the Croque Niege, it's called the Grohle.

• April 15, 2014
    from United Kingdom

I think this year was my 6th trip to La Plagne. Suffice to say I really rate it although I think the 3 Vallees just beats it for skiing and certainly for the resorts themselves. La Plagne has made some great improvements recently and there's more to come in the next couple of years. The Biolley chair used to be so slow they piped music through speakers on the pylons. The replacement shoots you to the top of the hill in a few minutes to a host of good runs. I had a terrific morning just lapping this single chair. The Colorado chair has been moved about 15m down the hill. This may seem like a very minor change but when you are hauling your sluggish body up from the restaurants in Plagne Centre after lunch, this is a real improvement! As I understand it, next year or the year after will see the new 8 seat Collosses chair that should pretty much eliminate the Plagne Bellecote bottleneck caused by day-trippers returning from Les Arcs at 4pm. I'm sure it will still be bad in half-term etc but it should be queue free for most of the season. There's going to be a new bubble out of Montalbert too which will be much better than the current painfully slow chair up to Fornalet.

On my last trip (22nd March) I was still finding powder 3 days after it snowed and only stopped finding this when the weather turned hot. It's a great resort for aspiring off-piste skiers. There are some quite nasty avalanche risk slopes though so try a guide on your first few ventures beyond the pistes. I did notice that there are quite a few flatish pistes about. If you are planning to travel from one bit of La Plagne to another, you'll probably find some.

There aren't many seriously steep blacks that are pisted. The blacks tend to be left to go to moguls. We did one off the Traversee chair that had turned to crust and I think it was the hardest thing I've ever skied on the piste. Utterly unskiable. I skied it 2 years ago in lovely powder and it was probably the best run I've ever done!

For restaurants, Killis next to the Quillis chair serves the best Croque Monsieur in the Alps. The Croque Niege in the piste front in Plagne Centre serves terrible coffee and the place next door (can't remember the name) serves much better coffee and good food. Le Petit Chaperon Rouge, in 1800, is good for an evening meal. It's on the piste with red neon lights, opposite the bottom chair.

All in all, I think I've done La Plagne now but I reckon it's worth 6 trips of anyone's ski time!

• April 13, 2014
    from United Kingdom

Good beginner and low intermediate station but with some of the best lift served off-piste in the Alps.

• February 05, 2014
    from United Kingdom

We were in Belle Plagne from 18th – 25th January 2014. There was adequate snow cover and most of the pistes were in good order. The exception to that were the lower pistes down to Monchavin and Les Coches. Some of the red runs were closed and many of those that were open did not appear to have been managed or groomed. It was quite common to see vegetation protruding from the pistes.
    The Inversens lift and piste were closed for most of the week.
    Plagne Bellecote is a bottleneck particularly for people stopping in Plagne Centre and beyond who want to use the link to Les Arcs. As one of the previous reviewers has pointed out, one of the most popular lifts, the bubble up to Roche de Mio, doesn’t open until 09.25. On the only really good day we had all week, we were disappointed (understatement) to find queues for Roche de Mio forming around 9am. How the lift company can logically defend such late opening of a key lift is a mystery.
    Mountain restaurants are on the expensive side. Be prepared to pay anything between €9 and €12 for a bowl of soup. Usually it costs between €3 and €3.20 for a can of soft drink with the exception of the restaurant near the Plan Bois chairlift which charged an eye watering €4.10. We found the restaurant next to the Rossa chairlift, in the Champagny sector, to be the most friendly and best value.
    If you drive to Belle Plagne you should also factor in the additional cost of parking. There’s only a small amount of off street parking. Even if you manage to find a place, and you’re staying near the top of the village, you will probably find yourselves dragging your luggage up the pistes which run through the resort. There are lifts, but they are not easy to find. There’s a massive underground car park running under all the apartment blocks in the upper part of the village but it will cost you about €65 if you intend to park there for a week.
    Despite the above La Plagne is an excellent resort for beginners and intermediates. There’s a vast area to be explored and there is plenty of skiing below the tree line if the weather and visibility are poor (which was the case for most of the week we were there). We didn’t see a pisted black run all week as most of these have reverted to ‘natur’ status, so advanced skiers will need to seek their thrills off-piste, of which there’s plenty.

• February 03, 2014
    from United Kingdom

Positive review of La plagne!
    We returned from a long weekend on 28th Jan 2013 and the conditions were about as good as anyone could ask for. Although it's not a record year for snow, every run was open and the ski conditions were superb. It snowed at night and we had nice and clear days for skiing. La Plagne has made some good improvements over the last few years, to the lift systems, and by installing new lifts and changing some of the exists to pistes they are eliminating bottle necks.
    We had a mixed group of experienced skiers and lower intermediates and we were all able to ski together. The more confident skiers could tackle some of the great reds whilst meeting the others at the bottom who were on blues. The steeper black runs were not all open and this was due to the avalanche risk which will be in place over most of the Alps this season. We stayed in La Bergerie apartments in Montalbert which is a really nice little village connected to the whole of La Plagne.

• January 25, 2014
    from United Kingdom

I was at Belle Plagne the same time as another reviewer and didn't quite see it his way. We arrived on the Saturday in heavy snow and woke up to wonderful conditions on Sunday. It wasn't cold but all the pistes above 1800 mts were fabulous and as they opened one by one; there were avalanche risks, they were used by happy skiers. The off-piste was also fantastic.
    The week brought blue skies and warm temperatures but as long as you stayed away from the bottom villages the skiing was great. All alpine resorts suffered with very warm conditions, La Plagne being no exception.
    Runs to Champagny were soft, they are south facing but that was where there was mud to be seen. Otherwise, select your runs at altitude or north facing and no problem. If the lift was raced well then great, as they travel at modest speeds and the flats are easily passed over, if aware of them.
    Myself and my two sons had a great week in Belle Plagne and the groomers did a wonderful job no problems.

• January 12, 2014
    from United Kingdom

We returned from La Plagne 11th January 2014.

I was not impressed with the skiing in La Plagne.

Firstly, too much was closed, or in such bad condition that it should have been closed. Mud was appearing on runs, even at the top of the mountain. The bottom of the runs, at the higher villages, were rock hard ice in the am, and slush/mud mixture by eleven. The lower villages were close to un-skiable. The Piste Bashers worked hard to keep the runs this good. La Plagne is in need of a lot of snow and a drop in temps. The black & red runs close first, so unless you enjoy blues there is little fun to be had.

We played race the lift, and could get down many blues in less than half the time it took the lift to get us back up, even for lifts with no queues.

The half-pipe & snow parks were closed when we were there. One opened later in the week, with a single 4 inch high jump in it.

Secondly, the ski day is too short. The main lift from Plagne Bellocote opens at 9:25, just before the ski school jumps the queues, and takes all the capacity. It closes again at 15:40. A few connecting lifts run a little longer.

Thirdly, my 10 year old son and I skied every open run in 2 days; not really what we expected from the amount of ski runs they claim.

The runs are graded too easy in my view, the few open reds were blues with a single short steeper section. Didn't get on any blacks; they were all closed.

On the plus side, if you enjoy long blue runs in the sun, La Plagne is great. Most lift queues are short, and you can avoid the few lifts with long queues.

I did not really get the mountain experience in La Plagne, you are never far from the ugly buildings.

The best bits, for us, were the glacier skiing, when it opened, which has a couple of short but interesting runs. The link to Les Arcs allows you to visit ARC 2000, which also has a couple of interesting runs.

In general, the runs are very quiet; a few are busy, but easily avoided.

• January 02, 2014
    from France

La Plagne promises a lot but disappoints. It has a huge area but much of it is flat. So if you are a beginner you will love it but much past intermediate you will quickly get bored unless you are intrepid enough to {hike} ski avalanche chutes.

The lifts are badly laid out spending much time moving horizontally rather than up any particular mountain or ridge. And almost all the chairs originate in La Plagne which means huge lines on holiday weekends and no ability to really stay and ski in a bowl or part of the mountain you like.

it also means that to change parts of the mountain requires long traverses that gobble up precious altitude.