Visitor reviews for Livigno Ski Resort

Livigno Ratings

Overall: 4.6. Based on 58 votes and 76 reviews. Vote

Snowsure: 4.8

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Livigno is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Variety of pistes: 4.8

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Livigno has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Off-piste: 4.2

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Scenery: 4.8

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Access: 3.3

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Livigno.

Public Transport: 3.9

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Livigno, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Accommodation: 4.9

(1) No places to stay in/near Livigno, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 4.6

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 4.7

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Livigno.

Ski in/Ski out: 4.7

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 4.8

(1) There are no child care facilities at Livigno, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowmaking: 4.7

(1) Livigno relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 4.9

(1) There are no snow groomers at Livigno, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Livigno are groomed daily.

Shelter: 4.3

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Livigno is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 3.6

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Livigno, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.9

(1) Livigno usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 4.9

(1) The staff at Livigno are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Livigno are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 4.5

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 5.0

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.9

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Beginners: 4.8

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.9

(1) No intermediate terrain at Livigno, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 4.5

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 4.9

(1) Not even a kicker at Livigno, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Cross-country: 4.6

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Livigno, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 3.6

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Livigno has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 4.5

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 4.9

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 4.7

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 4.6

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 4.7

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 4.5

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 4.7

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 4.8

(1) Overall, Livigno is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 4.9

(1) Overall, Livigno is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

December 25, 2012
Martin Brøchner-Nielsen from Ski Denmark Denmark
Going to Livigno for the 9th time this January. Have stayed in different places, hotels and appartements, but have never been dissapointet. The food and bars in the ski area have good food and drinks and nice atmosphere. And the preperation of the pistes is beyond what I have ever seen at other places. So, Livigno, I'll be back, again and again.
November 25, 2012
Patricia Shields from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
We have been skiing in Livigno as a group for 15 years; we have stayed at the Hotel Le Alpi. Mauro and his family have always ensured that we have a great week. The hotel is very clean and food is great. Family are always willing to spend time and chat in the evening. The hotel is a short walk away from the pedestrian shopping area. it is close to Doss 18 (lift) which means you can ski back to the hotel. Bus service is good and free. Mauro's brother runs a ski shop and they will always give you good service. The transfer from Milan is long but as you get the early flight it is a chance for a sleep and you arrive refreshed and ready to go. As the village is so high you can almost guarantee snow, they have also invested in a lot of snow cannons and snow parks. We have skied several resorts in Italy, this one is value for money. A wide range of pistes, good hotels, good ski schools, guaranteed snow, all round good value for money.
November 12, 2012
Ryan Mitchell from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Livigno is situated in a beautiful tree lined valley, with no ugly high rise architecture. The food is excellent, the snow is usually excellent, given its high altitude location right in the centre of the Alps, and lift pass/lessons/equipment hire prices are lower than almost anywhere else, due to the tax free status of the resort. Do not let the low prices put you off, however. The lift system is fast and efficient with helpful lift staff and good piste grooming, and they have recently added several new lifts and opened up some scenic tree skiing near the lake. They have two excellent snowparks, both with airbags to practice tricks on, and they have extensive freeride areas of graded difficulty. I've been skiing in resorts all across the Alps and Pyrenees, but Livigno is my favourite by far, independent of its low prices.
May 16, 2012
Keith Binks from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Returned yet again at Easter 2012 for 9 days, against doctors advice after cruciate ligament replacement in August, but survived just about intact. It's still a great place, so good in fact we're going to drag the caravan there this summer to do a little biking and sample the best national park in Europe.
April 12, 2012
Hilton Davidson from Ski South Africa South Africa
I travelled with my wife and two children aged 22 and 19 to Livigno for the first time in March 2012. While I have always selected high altitude resorts in the French Alps for the past 6 ski trips from South Africa together with ski-in-ski-out accommodation, I admittedly was a little apprehensive about our first trip to Livigno due to the spread-out nature of the resort. Firstly, the agent, Alessia, who assisted me in not only our booking of accommodation at Chalet Picchio but also a total package deal including ski hire, ski lessons and ski pass was brilliant. Secondly, any dealings that we had with the citizens of Livigno was always met with friendliness and assistance. Thirdly, Livigno was extremely family orientated for all ages of children and made the stay brilliant for all members of my family. Lastly, the ski school instructors were definitely more professional than those that we have had in the French resorts. While we have visited Belle Plagne and Tignes Le Lac on numerous occasions and thoroughly enjoyed each visit, the overall impression left by our visit to Livigno has already lead to our next trip being organised for January 2013. This time hopefully for 10 or more days versus our 7 days in March this year. While getting to the resort takes more effort than most in the Alps, it is worth the effort.
February 24, 2012
Andy Marshall-Brown from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
In resort as I write this having not visited for three seasons. This is our ninth time in Livigno. We stay at a lovely family run hotel called Hotel Valeria right in the centre of the village and I cannot recommend it enough. It's spotlessly clean, great food and very friendly hostess. We can ski in and out from the rear of the hotel with access right from the door. Three new lifts have been built since our last visit along with new runs being opened the skiing is excellent with very well maintained slopes. We have always found the locals to be very helpful and friendly and the resort offers a good variety of eating and drinking establishments along with lots of shops. Prices have increased dramatically over the last few years since the introduction of the Euro. Livigno is no longer a cheap resort despite its tax free reputation. That said it's no more expensive than other parts of Europe we visit. All in all, I believe that Livigno is a fantastic resort with great skiing for beginner and intermediate skiers and we will continue to return year in year out to the Hotel Valeria.
January 18, 2012
Clive from Ski South Africa South Africa
I visited at the beginning of January 2012, having been there 3 times previously. It has deteriorated enormously, and I can certainly no longer recommend it. The ski slopes are very poorly groomed. The bus service, the main form of transport in the resort, is hopelessly inadequate. The locals have very poor attitudes. Prices have rocketed. It has, in my opinion, become a money making racket and I suggest anyone wanting to go skiing looks elsewhere.
January 16, 2011
Greg from Ski Cyprus Cyprus
We went first time to Livigno in the second week of Dec. Private transport from Milan Malpensa took around 41/2 hours. The road after Bormio was full of snow so do not go without snow tyres. When we arrived it was snowing and everything was white. We stayed at hotel Mota in the center of the village. The location of the hotel was ideal for both shopping and skiing as the gondola was just opposite to it. The hotel itself is great and modern, good food, perfect indoor swimming pool and facilities. As other reviewers mentioned about shopping ripoffs, I did not check anything on electronics. However, clothing, food and drinks were a great deal. For example, a Salomon 10k/30k jacket had a price of 450 Euro in Livigno and the same jacket in Greece had 600 Euro (do not know prices for other countries). Also, when you go there check the prices on diesel and petrol, and wish you can avoid paying taxes in your home town. Skiing was amazing, most days being sunny but freezing, one day reached -23c in the morning in the village. Due to low temps the snow was hard but, thanks to snow cannons (which are everywhere), we had fresh snow every morning. Best day was Saturday. Whilst being change over day for Livigno, I was completly alone in the whole ski area up to around 11 in the morning when some Italians showed up. Anyway, other people are no trouble in Livigno as all chairlifts are fast and efficient. The longest I waited in a queue all week was 4 min to catch a chairlift. The gondolas before 9.30 had no skiers waiting. Do not know for later in the morning. If I have to say something negative (just to say it so they will have something to improve) it would be that I think they should renew Carosello 3000 gondola as it looks very old compared to the rest. Also, while we were there they were renewing two old lifts, this I guess can be done in autumn and not to wait for athe winter season to start. A final thing is that they are charging a price on the tube rides (next to Campo Scuola chair lift 23), come on guys...put it there for free, people will pay for the skipass anyway. All in all, we had an amazing skiing holiday and will go back. Ciao!
March 29, 2010
simon stafrace from Ski Malta Malta
I have been in Livingo last week and what a great place to be. I just want to give some advice to people: although it is a tax haven everthing is a rip off in Livingo. In fact I wanted to buy a new cam corderd and to my disbelief I found the same Sony came corder that I own for sale. This was more expensive than I bought 3 years ago in my honeymoon. The same happened to me when we where trying to buy a Guess watch as we realized that my wife had one exactly the same on her wrist. To our disbelief they asked us 180 Euros for it and we barely paid 50 Euros for it 3 years ago. I think that any thing worth it to buy in Livingo is sugar and whisky. In fact, all scotch items in shop are all old stuff. I must say that the food is great here, especially if you move out of the center as you will taste the real food of Livingo at a fraction of the price. Our holiday last week was as just being in paradise. But again I do not recomand that one should do shopping unless he is happy to be ripped off.
February 06, 2010
stokie steve from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have always flown to Bergamo, but I must say the cheap flight ain't so cheap anymore and there isn't the choice of flight times and dates that used to be available. I will be honest, this must be the 1st year in about 15 that we have not gone to Livigno. I've always used Jacquie from Mountain Tours in the past to book my accommodation in Livigno and I must say she provides a greast service and her husband, Renzo, is a top taxi driver if you ever want a taxi. I went to Alpe D'Huez this year with Ski World Ltd and had a great time. Just found a great offer to Flugen, in Austria, for £92 for the week. Looks like a goer. Just need to convince my Mrs it's a good idea for me to go skiing again.