Visitor reviews for Borovets Ski Resort

Borovets Ratings

Overall: 3.7. Based on 103 votes and 185 reviews. Vote

Snowsure: 3.7

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Borovets is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Variety of pistes: 4.0

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Borovets has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Off-piste: 3.1

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Scenery: 4.0

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Access: 4.2

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Borovets.

Public Transport: 3.6

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Borovets, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Accommodation: 4.4

(1) No places to stay in/near Borovets, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.9

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 3.7

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Borovets.

Ski in/Ski out: 4.3

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 3.6

(1) There are no child care facilities at Borovets, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowmaking: 3.6

(1) Borovets relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.9

(1) There are no snow groomers at Borovets, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Borovets are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.7

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Borovets is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 2.7

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Borovets, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.0

(1) Borovets usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 3.6

(1) The staff at Borovets are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Borovets are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.4

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 4.2

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.2

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Beginners: 4.1

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.2

(1) No intermediate terrain at Borovets, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 3.7

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 3.1

(1) Not even a kicker at Borovets, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Cross-country: 3.3

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Borovets, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 2.2

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Borovets has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.6

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 4.2

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 4.2

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 3.6

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.3

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 3.5

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 3.7

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 4.0

(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 4.1

(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

March 21, 2011
ian griff from Ski Bulgaria Bulgaria
We have just returned from Borovets, snow was great and the slopes are well groomed with all lifts running. A lot of the reports I read before we went were fairly negative. If you want good snowboarding (except the long flat tracks) and cheap nightlife it's good. We stayed in Ice Angels Hotel which was excellent although, as most people have commented, the food is only ok considering it's supposed to be a 5 star. It's position is perfect at the bottom of the Rila runs within 20m of the lifts.. So I would get accommodation only and eat out as good quality food is cheap and plentiful outside the hotels. Overall, for the cost of the holiday, passes and food etc it's a good alternative to the usual European resorts.
March 21, 2011
Dam from Ski France France
I was in Borovets last weekend. According to this website there was more than 1 meter of snow at the top but not at all, 10 cm maximum. Maybe that's the cumulative measure since the beginning of the season? All slopes were closed except 3, the one with artificial snow. Only few lifts were working. So don't believe this website's report for snow level. Apart from this, the resort is nice with many friendly restaurants and bars. [Editor's note: this snow report was provided by the Ski Club of GB. Eyeball reporters can provide observations as they see them. We encourage users to enroll.]
March 13, 2011
Phil Turton from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
We have been skiing with the family and also the chaps to Chamonix, Avoriaz, Switzerland etc but must say Borovets was great. The snow was ok but the slopes were well looked after and they had not had any new snow for 2 weeks before we arrived. The place is very friendly and very reasonable on cost as last year £7 a pint in Chamonix to £1.70 a pint in Borovets is relaxing. I would not hesitate to go again and I am looking forward to going again next year. Quite simply, better value for money and the slopes were as good. I did not really think the Alps were any better and certainly not more than double the cost for good skiing and friendly people. Recommended.
March 08, 2011
Rob Downham from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've been to Borovets twice, once with my wife and once with my brother. Both times I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have skied Three Valleys and Chamonix and, taking into account price, prefer Borovets. People who say that the Bulgarians are miserable need to look in the mirror! Smile and the world smiles at you! Everyone I met, be the older UK, younger UK, Bulgarians were happy. Had no trouble with anyone. There are quite a few lap bars but if you don't go in then they are not "in your face". Stayed in an apartment at hotel Flora, free wifi (writing this review in my apartment) and good gym/pool/sauna (costs extra if in the apartments). If planning to self cater than it is true that there is limited food available to cook yourself. There was only so many noodles I can eat! Mamacitas Mexican restaurant is excellent. I went out every evening until about 3am (got to party ocassionally) and had fun, friendly nights each time, bit of a lazy morning and then onto the slopes at 12 exactly just buying a half day lift pass. This gives you 4 1/2 hours skiing which, in my opinion, is plenty! Final bonus is that it only takes about 1 hour and 75 euro return for private transfer from airport to apartment. All in all, I highly recommend Borovets, I suppose I have been lucky with the snow each time and not had any bad incidents but then you make your own luck!
March 08, 2011
Clair from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I returned from my first ever skiing holiday in Borovets in February - I was very apprehensive before going, as I was the only non-skier of my mixed age group. I spent a week with Albena ski school (see Jean's review further down) in a small group of absolute beginners and can honestly say I had the time of my life. I found that Bulgarians seem to have a very dry sense of humour (a bit like the Brits) and can sometimes be construed as being grumpy - but they aren't! I was often out with my 3 year old and had locals help me with crossing the roads with her and sometimes even carrying her up hills for me, which I really appreciated when I was in my ski boots, carrying poles and skis! My week with my ski instructor was a dream and really helped me with my confidence and ability. I'm sure that Borovets isn't for everybody, but I wanted to say that I had such a brilliant time there, I'm already planning next year and cannot wait to get back to Bulgaria. It's a very relaxed place, so just go with it!
March 07, 2011
Emma from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Bulgaria Borovets 26/02/2011 to 05/03/2011 Stayed in Villa Apartments - great hotel, great prices for drinks. Food was a little strange but overall, great Just came back from Borovets. I'm 26 and went with my boyfriend 28, brother 31, his girlfriend 25, my mom and dad 50's and two cousins 32 and 40.. We had a great time with plenty to do, snow was a little shy but it was forecast for this week.. as for the money you couldn't spend it, it was great. A meal for two and drinks cost around 25 pound for two.. people were very friendly and helpful. As for the strip bars there were not that many and hardly any posters of naked girls, in fact, if you didn't point them out children and adults couldn't even notice - BJ's is by far the best bar and food and I highly recommend anyone to go to Bulgaria skiing for the money it was great. If you want 5 * star luxury go to Canada if you want great fun and cheap holiday go to Borovets. Great over all :-)
March 05, 2011
Yann from Ski Netherlands Netherlands
Cmon people most of the feedbacks are from so called skiers with their own appartment in the place which says it all. They will never ever place a factual feedback but always with this investment interest up their brains when writing. The fact of the matter is that there is extremely limited skiing, huge queues, tacky stalls, pushy locals, lift passes are ridiculously expensive for what it is, ski hire gear is ancient, tacky shops and seedy places up in your face (don't go with young family unless you don't go out of your hotel). The top of the mountain most of the season is closed; nothing exited there. The bottom: carnage from ice and a hell of a lot of people. The middle: just one reasonable chair midway and that's it. One big plus: If you are onto heavy drinking and planning on doing it non-stop go no further. Problem is that Bulgaria has started attracting the low end clients with alcohol in mind so prepare yourself for what you have paid (low language drunken brawls unpleasant situations). And remember lift pass is dirt expensive, you will do very limited skiing and probably you will remember nothing under the influence of alcohol.
March 05, 2011
Den from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just arrived back in UK from 5 night stay in Borovets. Having read mixed reviews before going, I wanted to say that Borovets is a great little place. You get what you pay for! The resort is not 5*. It is, however, a friendly, affordable and entertaining place. Ski school is good but a bit chaotic. I would recommend 1 to 1 lessons. They are really quite cheap and you can "agree" the price. Be careful though, as not all the instructors are licensed, so if it's one of the smaller ski schools you go to, check with the instructor. The slopes were all open, although some a little skinny on snow. Overall, we (all 26 of us) had a great time. Friendly people who love you to return. I recommend "The Blue" restaurant for great steaks and salads.
February 26, 2011
Howard green from Ski Bulgaria Bulgaria
We've just come back from Borovets. It's a lovely resort, it's cheap overall, be prepared to pay for some little extras, the skidoos are great fun, the instructors are really friendly, especially Aleena and little George! My 13 yr old had the time of his life boarding, the snow arrived the day before we got there: Friday 18th and it's snowed ever since! Check the webcam. The locals are very friendly, disregard comments here regarding the sex clubs being in your face, they're not. Unless you look, I doubt you'd notice them. We stayed in Iglika Palace hotel. The food was ok, the staff were very friendly,and it's very warm!! Sometimes a bit too warm.. Almost all the locals speak English and most bars have UK tv on, including the football. Black Tiger and Derby are bars worth a visit. If you visit Derby, which is next to Francs, have the lamb shanks! Enjoy... We did! Howard. London
February 21, 2011
Chris from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
One more thing to add to my first review below is this.......... Now my review may sound rather biased with myself siding heavily with Borovets and all the positives, I guess the reason being, I had a really great time! And you will too if you don't try and look for the faults, which to be fair, everywhere has faults but at least the ones in Borovets will be half the price!