Visitor reviews for Tiffindell Ski Resort
July 01, 2017
Dr Stevan Vukasinovic from South Africa
I did ski in Serbia where I was born. I liked it there. Weather is warmer, rooms are warm, food is good and the instructors are very helpful. Unforgettable experience. One doesn't need to go all the way to Europe and spend a lot of Euros.
Overall: 3.6. Based on 11 votes and 16 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Tiffindell.
Public Transport: 2.1
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Tiffindell, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Tiffindell, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.6
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.4
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Tiffindell.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.4
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Tiffindell, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Tiffindell is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Tiffindell relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.8
(1) There are no snow groomers at Tiffindell, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Tiffindell are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Tiffindell is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Tiffindell, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Tiffindell usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.6
(1) The staff at Tiffindell are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Tiffindell are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.4
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.4
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 2.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Tiffindell has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Tiffindell, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Tiffindell, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Tiffindell, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Tiffindell has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.2
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.2
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.9
(1) Overall, Tiffindell is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.3
(1) Overall, Tiffindell is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
June 15, 2015
Eric Whitaker from South Africa
Just returned from a great break in the East Cape mountains; Tiffindell was superb. Would recommend that everyone visit this marvellous SA resort.
June 15, 2015
Peter joseph from Slovakia
The greatest product in SA right now! Just had a wonderful few days in the snow. Food, staff, accommodation all great. Such an exciting adventure!
July 25, 2013
Stern from South Africa
We visited Tiffindell from the 21st to 24th July. We were welcomed and given a tour of Tiffindell. The accommodation was of 5 star quality, friendly and helpful staff, cozy restaurant and a well groomed slope. We had fresh powder the morning of the 24th. We have visited Afri-Ski the past 3 years and will recommend Tiffindell to all our friends! Tiffindell, thank you very much for the best skiing we had in years! See you next year!
July 05, 2013
Yda van der Post from South Africa
Just returned from Tiffendell. 30/6-3/7/2013. We will never return and won't advise any friends to visit. We feel ripped off. At R17k +!for 3 nights, acc was poor, food average (mostly out of stock), service poor. Management non existing. My prediction is that this resort won't last! Good luck.
July 03, 2013
Heidi van der Walt from South Africa
Just got back from Tiffindale. 30June-3July. What a great reception from the friendly staff (Phillip). Private Chalet for 4, small but very comfy and well warmed up with the central heating. Beautiful view over the slopes. Slopes excellent and within walking distance. Bar, restaurant and coffee shop well staffed, coffee shop can be stocked more accurately, still waiting for my chocolate cake (know they will sort this out). Ski instructors excellent! Ski shop excellent and to top everything of, we had 2 days of light snow and the men in my family mastered skiing (champs). I got stranded with an injured knee the second day. Can't wait to get back on the slope to also master the skill.
June 27, 2013
Nick Elliott from South Africa
Tiffindell Ski Resort is open from June - end August 2013!
Come over and enjoy the snow covered slopes!
August 11, 2012
Pieter van Wyk from South Africa
Tiffindell was sold. It will be opening soon!
June 03, 2012
Pieter van Wyk from South Africa
No snow up to date. Tiffindell is still close, the auction date is set for 12th July. Next year maybe open?
June 06, 2011
Pieter van Wyk from South Africa
Tiffindell is closed for this year but the snow is good. Everybody in town is waiting for you to come and visit.