The two giant US ski resort owners have each promised to spend huge amounts on upgrades totalling between $356 and $361 million dollars at their respective collections of ski resorts this summer, ahead of the 2019-20 ski season. The two, which between them now run 34 Canadian, US (and in Vail’s case Australian) resorts including many of the continent’s leading ski areas, have committed remarkably similar totals ahead of next winter. Vail Resorts have committed “$175 Million to $180 Million in capital investments to reimagine the guest experience,” whilst the Alterra Group say they’ll spend $181 million (coincidentally $1 million more than Vail, announced a few months after Vail announced their spending plans) this summer, as part of a $555
|Tuesday 26||Wednesday 27||Thursday 28||Friday 29||Saturday 30||Sunday 31||Monday 1|
|Freezing level (m)||2700||3400||3650||3650||3500||3750||3600||3350||3400||3150||2800||2300||1800||2500||2650||3300||2900||3300||3350||3400||3600|
|The upper snow depth is:||- cm|
|The lower snow depth is:||- cm|
|The fresh snowfall depth is:||- cm|
|When did it last snow?||-|
Week 4 of March has on average:
Bluebird Powder days
Fresh snow, mostly sunny, light wind.
Fresh snow, limited sun, any wind.
Average snow, mostly sunny, light wind.
Mount Hotham Resort Webcam
Most recent Mount Hotham webcam image
Photos of Mount Hotham
The above table gives the weather forecast for Mount Hotham at the specific elevation of 1850 m. Our sophisticated weather models allow us to provide snow forecasts for the top, middle and bottom ski stations of Mount Hotham. To access the weather forecasts for the other elevations, use the tab navigation above the table. For a wider view of the weather, check out the Weather Map of Australia.
Click here to read further information on freezing levels and how we forecast our temperatures.
Visitor Reviews of Mount Hotham
Karl from Switzerland writes:
If you love freeriding, Mount Hotham is one of the best ski resorts in the world. I should know as I have skied every major Australian and NZ ski resort, many resorts in western Canada, western USA, Italy, France, Austria and Switzerland. I normally visit around 25 different international ski resorts per year.
If you are prepared you may encounter rain, slush, elephant snot, Australian Powder, Canadian corduroy and champagne powder. You will enjoy the good, the bad and the ugly at Mount Hotham. Like all Australian ski resorts conditions and weather are variable, but Mount Hotham has many secrets. Secrets so good, that when the conditions are perfect, there is not a better place to ski.
Try the following during the worst possible snow storms only with a local or a Mount Hotham ski ambassador.
1. Blue Ribbon as you can hide from the wild weather,
2. Notice Board, The wall of death and the pipeline off the Village loop,
3. The Canyon and Brockhoff off the HV chair.
Prepared for backcountry and very wild weather. Take a friend, when the Gotcha chair is closed and walk up Green Line and ski the following only if you know the terrain and can ski any run in any condition:
1. Gotcha, The ridge, and Mary's Slide. As soon as you drop off the ridge you are in a paradise full of untouched powder!
2. Coles Bowl and the remaining runs skier's left are great if the bottom funnel of Mary's has been skied out.
3. If the Orchard is closed, don't fear, ski all the way down Keogh's down to Orchard load cross the Swindler's platform and follow the creek back to Swindler's trail. It eventually joins the official Valley trail from Mary's Slide.
Where to go when the storm clears? HV
1. HV as it typically opens on certain in-peak season at 7:30am. Check with Guest Services. It is good everywhere.
2. Wendix is untracked, because most people turn right at the top of HV.
3. Try skier's left of Imagine, over the ridge is untracked, then continue to top of Brockoff and feed right back onto Patroller's drop.
Unfortunately, HV is usually skied out in one or two hours, so, Extreme and Orchard are next on the radar. As soon as Gotcha opens, well, take the lift...
1. Ski the Extreme zone.
2. Ski into Orchard and enjoy intermediate cruising,
3. After Orchard is done ski Boarder's Valley, skier's right of Spargo's trail. Snowboarder's take this option, because they run out of momentum as Spargo's trail enters the flat, wooded section of the run.
4. One tree hill is quite nice. If this is what you like then, ask Guest Services or a local to show you the Golden Point area. Do not enter this area without local knowledge. There are no reference points through the woods and you could easily lose your bearing. The area is skied out very quickly, so, be sure you can ski any run in any condition.
If you don't mind a walk then try...
1. Australia drift and Avalanche Gully.
2. If you like this alot, Dargo west face and try Parachute Drop (Instructor's Gully) way beyond the Drift T-bar.
3. Done it all...ski HG AKA Harris Gully, but, you should have backcountry experience before skiing down the other side ridge beyond the Drift T-bar.
4. There are more bowls including Dargo bowl, and Diamantina or South West face to Baldy Hollow beyond the Telecom tower on the summit.
1. P Gully - the north facing bowl skier's left of the summit,
2. Eagle's ridge - the southern rim of P Gully, and
3. Women's Downhill off the south face of Mt. Higginbotham.
As you can see, there is plenty to offer the freerider!
The Mount Hotham skiing weather widget below is available to embed on external websites free of charge. It provides a daily summary of our Mount Hotham snow forecast and current weather conditions. Simply go to the feed configuration page and follow the 3 simple steps to grab the custom html code snippet and paste it into your own site. You can choose the snow forecast elevation (summit, mid-mountain or bottom lift) and metric/imperial units for the snow forecast feed to suit your own website…. Click here to get the code.