Visitor reviews for Sasquatch Mountain Resort Ski Resort
December 15, 2017
Roy from Canada
Great mountain with wide open usable terrain, short lines, great views and plenty of potential. The terrain is great and snow abundant. The vertical drop posted is somewhat misleading at 1300', as it is 1100' with the highest point of 4320'at the top of the green chair not the red chair, either way that will improve with the future expansions to adjacent mountains.
[note from the editor: we display information suggested by the staff at this ski area.]
Sasquatch Mountain Resort Ratings
Overall: 3.4. Based on 40 votes and 29 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Sasquatch Mountain Resort.
Public Transport: 2.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Sasquatch Mountain Resort, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Sasquatch Mountain Resort, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.6
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.1
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Sasquatch Mountain Resort.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Sasquatch Mountain Resort, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Sasquatch Mountain Resort is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Sasquatch Mountain Resort relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.1
(1) There are no snow groomers at Sasquatch Mountain Resort, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Sasquatch Mountain Resort are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Sasquatch Mountain Resort is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Sasquatch Mountain Resort, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.9
(1) Sasquatch Mountain Resort usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.4
(1) The staff at Sasquatch Mountain Resort are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Sasquatch Mountain Resort are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.9
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.9
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.7
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Sasquatch Mountain Resort has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Sasquatch Mountain Resort, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Sasquatch Mountain Resort, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Sasquatch Mountain Resort, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Sasquatch Mountain Resort has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.1
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.8
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.4
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.6
(1) Overall, Sasquatch Mountain Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.6
(1) Overall, Sasquatch Mountain Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
November 14, 2017
Hemlock Pow from Canada
Great family hill with so much potential.
This past year: 2016/17 was incredible. Who says Hemlock doesn't get any snow? With 900+cm last winter I had so many 18"-30" of powder days it was unreal. Go to other local mountains with high speed lifts/lines and it is all tracked up within a couple of hours. Even on the busiest of days if all the chairs are running the lift wait is minimal at SMR. It has been good to see some improvements lately like the magic carpet (which needs a cover like Mt. Seymour so the staff does not need to clear snow off it on snowy mornings and could focus on other morning start up operations). They also need a reliable generator for the frequent power outages so Sasquatch (green) chair could remain operational. It would be great to see night skiing on the Skyline (red) chair instead of Sasquatch chair as it is not nearly as likely to be closed due to wind/cold on that side of mountain. Looking forward to the future development and increased terrain once pre-development hurdles are crossed.
March 14, 2017
Anna from Canada
Great little mountain and good snow, but service could definitely be improved. All ski resorts I've been to clear off their chairlifts when it's snowing. We were there the other day with heavy snowfall and no one lifted a finger. Not only is it incredibly cold to sit on an inch of snow, it's also very unsafe. I tried to clear it myself, but it was too difficult and when I sat on it, I almost slipped off a couple times. We had to leave early because our butts were frozen and our pants soaked. I would not feel safe taking my kids on these lifts in the snow. In addition, their crew is young and not well trained in operating the lifts (one was stuck for 10 min) and customer service: didn't even move to retrieve the pole I lost getting off the chair in front of his booth. A first aid attendant walked up the hill to get it for me.
February 13, 2016
SnowBear from Canada
Back on the slopes at the beginning of Feb and with all the rain that had been reported, the slopes were still in useable condition with a couple of cm of snow added to it. Once again, the whole family was up and we enjoyed riding, lessons, snowshoeing and tubing. There was some left over powder on some of the slopes. Staff is always friendly; sometimes you just have to start the conversation. If you want food, the pub is where to be. The burger to order is the Hemlock Burger: excellent and definitely filling. Service was great considering they were busy.
This mountain is ready to roll. Heard about the expansion and can hardly wait for the 6pack chair on the red and quads on the green. Hope to see you on the slopes soon.
February 10, 2016
Snow Bear from Canada
Once again we went up to Hemlock at the beginning of February and were not expecting too much riding as there had been a lot of rain, but to our surprise with 14 cm new, we all had a great time on the slopes. The snow held up it's side and we all had a great time. With the mention of the expansion beginning soon, we can look forward to more from this little gem of a mountain. Can hardly wait to see the 6 pack on the red chair and the terrain that they will be opening.
We did some snowshoeing as well and as always we enjoyed the quiet walks in the forest. See you on the slopes and trails.
January 12, 2016
Rockin Ronnie from Canada
We, once again, spent the Xmas holidays at this sleepy mountain. Well it was anything but sleepy this year! The snow was absolutely great, along with bluebird skies from the 28th on, wow! It was just amazing to ski in December with these kinds of conditions. The resort was overwhelmed so waiting for food and drink in the bar could have been better but the line-ups for skiing were not bad although Hemlock locals had a different opinion. Anyways, once again our experience was one of fun in the sun and great ski conditions. Thanks to all the lifties and bar staff for making it a great 10 days. Will be back soon.
March 31, 2014
SnowBear from Canada
Wow, March is here, spring break and up to the mountain we go again, this time we did some tubing. Our adult children had a ball, they said it definitely was the attendants who made the experience so fun. The tube hill is not very long but this sure tells you that the staff make all the difference.
We also did some skiing. The snow, for this time of year, was great, no sticking to the snow, yet. LOL. Again the staff were great.
Well, we had to try the snowshoeing, we went off on our own and the views of the valley and resort area was just awesome, definitely will be doing this again.
The resort offers quite a few other things to do than just riding, we will be doing it all again soon. Sure will be great once the new owner replaces some of these relics called chairs. Hope to see you on the slopes or trails, it's just good to play outdoors here.
November 30, 2013
ski bum from Canada
Hemlock is a good resort - but could do so much better. Couple of years ago - we left the comment on SnowFlake Resort and Hemlock Hollow. We have used all 3 services and our comments about the 3rd one being grouchy and crancky was based on our experiance and how things went. We do not know how everyone is doing, rather we look for a good time and service and fun. How can we help attitude and what we found? With the 3rd provider we felt like we were bothering them and they were renting to us as a huge favor. When we come we pay full price. We are not there on any deal, it's just our comments on our experience. The 3rd provider may be good but their customer service is like rock skiing in September, not much fun and painful.
As for the mtn, the place can do so well, just so little has changed. Someone said the new owner has done sewer and water upgrades. That is good but when we buy a lift ticket we look for the ski experience. Lifts that run (not broken down) and night skiing, where the lights work, is all we look for. The staff are always very good but just a little more resources. It could be such a great ski area.
We have faith in Hemlock and yes, we will be back and staying with Snowflake resort or Hemlock Hollow; their service makes up for any rough conditions. Here is what we hope is a great 2013/2014 season :)
March 03, 2013
Snow Bear from Canada
Wow, the powder we have enjoyed is great. Were up at Christmas and it was busy with all the sun and such, but the one thing we were dissappointed in was at the end of the run, we had to plow through Ski School, people just standing around or of all things taking off their equipment and leaving it on the access road to the chair. This is very frustrating to everyone we spoke to as well who were riding on the mtn. Almost ran over a pedestrian while trying to assess the small chair, no matter the other chair.
Have returned again and no matter if they're busy or not, this seems to be a problem. Hopefully, they will figure things out as this was a fun mountain to ride on this past Feb.
See you on the mountain.
January 10, 2013
Rockin Ronnie from Canada
We ventured back to this mountain over Xmas this year. The conditions were awesome. The grooming was well done and bluebird skies treated us to some glorious days of skiing. There were more people than we remember last time, but they had music on the deck and outside BBQ going which seemed to be a hit with a lot of people. All in all, a great week of fun. So much so we have started looking for a place there.