Ski Chile

Ski Chile

Nevados de Chillan Resort Reviews

Visitor reviews for Nevados de Chillan Ski Resort

Nevados de Chillan Ratings

Overall: 2.9. Based on 89 votes and 327 reviews. Vote

Access: 2.9

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Nevados de Chillan.

Public Transport: 2.5

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Nevados de Chillan, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Scenery: 3.9

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Accommodation: 3.7

(1) No places to stay in/near Nevados de Chillan, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.2

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 3.1

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Nevados de Chillan.

Ski in/Ski out: 3.5

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 2.5

(1) There are no child care facilities at Nevados de Chillan, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowsure: 3.6

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Nevados de Chillan is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Snowmaking: 1.4

(1) Nevados de Chillan relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.3

(1) There are no snow groomers at Nevados de Chillan, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Nevados de Chillan are groomed daily.

Shelter: 2.5

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Nevados de Chillan is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 1.9

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Nevados de Chillan, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 3.6

(1) Nevados de Chillan usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 2.7

(1) The staff at Nevados de Chillan are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Nevados de Chillan are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 2.4

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 3.4

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 3.4

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Variety of pistes: 3.8

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Nevados de Chillan has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Beginners: 3.4

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 3.8

(1) No intermediate terrain at Nevados de Chillan, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 4.0

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 2.2

(1) Not even a kicker at Nevados de Chillan, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Off-piste: 3.7

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Cross-country: 2.5

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Nevados de Chillan, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 1.7

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Nevados de Chillan has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.0

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 2.7

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 3.0

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 3.0

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.0

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 2.8

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 1.8

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 2.4

(1) Overall, Nevados de Chillan is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 2.5

(1) Overall, Nevados de Chillan is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

July 01, 2013
juan from Ski Chile Chile
Everything has been a success for snowy regarding planning because everything works great, the coffee shops are nice and have variety for every taste (fallen snow to the forecast of snow, the tracks are buenisimas).
June 18, 2013
andres calamaro from Ski Chile Chile
For me one of the best ski resorts! Snowy squeal, I was surprised this season was incredible improvement. From year to year, and the prices are good, nothing to say.
May 27, 2013
James from Ski Chile Chile
My wife and I took a drive to Nevados de Chillán this weekend and stayed in Las Trancas. We booked into Cabañas Los Andes, a great place that we would higly recommend. The owners were extremly helpful and friendly and the cabins are cozy and clean. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about Hotel Nevados de Chillan. My wife and I wanted to go to the hotel to soak in the the thermal pool. Stuart, from the cabins, tried calling the hotel to find out about prices but there was no answer, (a hotel that doesn’t pick up it's phone?) so we decided to just drive there and see for ourselves. We walked into the hotel and went to the reception desk where customer service does not exist! It was a huge effort to get any information from the girl at the desk, she seemed really put out that someone wanted her to give out information. It turns out that they wanted 19,000 pesos, (that's $40uds!) per person in exchange for the use of their thermal pool. I thought to myself that maybe the reception girl was over charging us, perhaps punishing me for asking for information at a hotel reception desk, but I can´t be sure. We decided to take a closer look before handing over almost $80. We walked through the coffee bar area where the enormously over sized plasma was blasting football from it's surround sound, only being viewed by the number of bar staff that had nothing better to do. At closer inspection of the pool, it turned out that the water was not hot. It was lukewarm at best. Now I'm no thermal water expert but I was under the impression that thermal water was hot and flowing. This pool had neither. In fact the pool had no appeal and was not worth paying $80 for. To be honest my wife said she wouldn´t use it even if it was free. So we decided to sit and have a coffee in the bar area. We sat down and waited for one of the 5 bar staff to drag themselves away from the football to serve us. It didn't happen. I had to go and ask someone if they could give me a couple of menus and take our order. There was only 1 other couple in the bar and they didn't seem too fazed by the football commentary being screamed out of the TV. My wife and I sat as far away from the TV as we could but it was still painfully loud. We ordered our coffees and tried to ignore the noise. 2 minutes later the waitress came up to us and asked if we wanted our bill. I asked if they were closing, my sarcasm lost on her as she replied that she was finishing her shift. I can only guess that she was after her tip on our 2 coffees. We told her we would order the bill when we were ready. The brief time we spent in the hotel was not a good experience, people don't seem that friendly and the atmosphere is like walking into a place you don’t belong to or shouldn't be. And forget customer service, it just doesn´t exist there. We would not return there, even for a coffee, I believe that staying in the valley of Las Trancas is a much more pleasant experience. Stay away from The Hotel Nevados de Chillán and it's staff, it will only disappoint.
September 28, 2012
Andres from Ski Chile Chile
Another season is over and yet no real improvement. Someone could say they have 2 more lifts but there is no good news from that: they are old, slow, uncomfortable and moreover: unsafe. Customer Service: almost nonexistent; Roads: dirt road with bad condition even for Chilean standard; no ATM; bathrooms: ugly and unsafe for a ski boot user. The long chairlift is old and slow but it’s still the backbone of this ski resort. I hope they have the budget of having soon a new chairlift (I refurbished one will do!) in order to avoid long line at Bunny Hill. Beautiful place, good runs (no signal though), very bad management. PS: It is very odd that there are almost no reviews this year for this resort. I’m pretty sure a lot of people came and left very disappointed.
August 14, 2012
Kerstin Abagge from Ski Brazil Brazil
I have been to Chillan twice before (about 6 years ago) and I was very disappointed with what I have found now. The facilities are poor, everything closes at 5pm (so, don't even think about aprés ski). The lifts attendants are awful, as most of the personnel. There are few restaurants and few choices of food. We stood 1 hour trapped freezing on the lift with winds of 70km/h until they could get us down. The lifts are old and uncomfortable and the tracks are badly signed. If you don't have the map you will not find any up there. I really hope it gets better because the place is beautiful and the termal waters could be better used.
September 13, 2011
roger from Ski Australia Australia
Ok, I am way south of Nevados now but will arrive there for my first visit next week. I will give a totally unbiased report of the resort to clear up all these conflicting stories.
September 06, 2011
Andrew McLean from Ski Chile Chile
The resort is not worth $30000 a day it is $20000 for high season! They haven´t and they will not open the whole mt. this year again. The lift line at the basde during the weekend is 45 minutes long and then it takes you 15 minutes to ski down to the same start againg. Muy malo!!!
September 05, 2011
Andrew McLean from Ski Chile Chile
Most of the comments here are negatives towards the ski area but they are truly true, the ski area is on a bad very bad form!!!
August 21, 2011
Jim Blaney from Ski United States United States
Recently returned from a very fun trip to Nevados de Chillan - great snow and good terrain, staying in Las Trancas. Unfortunately, all the reviews that I had been reading about the bad mountain management turned out to be true. We skied five days from August 3rd through August 7th. The first day was sunny and gorgeous with plenty of untracked powder to be had. We like to ski advanced and expert terrain and, while the mountain didn't offer a lot of especially steep terrain, there was plenty of good terrain to be had, primarily off piste. Also, there is plenty of "out of bounds" terrain for knowledgable alpine tourers. The first day all the "available" lifts were open. "Available" does not mean all the advertised lifts on the trail map. One of those appears to be "permanently" closed and another doesn't exist anymore. Many of the "youtube" videos that I based my travel plans on were shot from the no longer existing lift. On day two there was some early morning winds along with snow and the Don Otto was closed, so we were able able to ski only the bottom one sixth of the mountain, primarily the Tata chair and the poma. Still, we had good powder in the trees. The snow continued on days three and four and the Don Otto remained closed. Absolutely no excuse for management not making an effort to open more of the mountain. The winds were quiet and the snow stable, according to inside information from the ski patrol. The Don Otto has an intermediate station and rope lines could have been used to control access if management was worried about visibility and people getting lost. I am not sure how all the resort management and ownership connections work, but had to wonder if management was content to sell their lift tickets and have people retire to the spas and casinos to spend more money after taking a run or two. In spite of the limited opening, we still managed to have fun skiing powder in the trees and skinning up part way for more on the main mountain. Finally on day five, they reopened the Don Otto at about 10AM to the intermediate station. We had three fabulous powder runs before they opened the chair to the top for a very brief period (one fabulous run) before shutting down for some winds. It is a real shame that the management does not make an effort to open more of the mountain. I don't accept the "It's Chile" excuse, offered by some locals. They have a great mountain, good snow, and fantastic potential, but a bad attitude and a growing bad reputation. We would like to ski here again, but would advise anyone making a trip from US, Europe, or Australia to be aware of potential shortcomings. Out of five days, to only get less than two days of the whole mountain is not acceptable when management only had an excuse for one of those days.
August 14, 2011
Mercosurtrav from Ski Chile Chile
Nevados de Chillan is a disgrace for Chile. I have lived in this beautiful country for over 3 years and find it sad that such a beautiful mountain is so poorly maintained. NO where in the world will you pay 65USD for a lift ticket that only accesses bunny runs and every now and then a hard run. The mountain has the potential to become the Vail of South America yet with the current management they will be lucky if they do not kill anyone with the used lifts they have installed from over 30 years ago. Nevados get your act together ... If there is I anyone thinking about skiing Nevados do not come until they get it together.