Visitor reviews for Demänovská Dolina -Jasná Ski Resort
March 01, 2012
mishy from United Kingdom
We love Jasna so much we decided to set up an affordable holidays business in the area. The resort offers great value, plentiful piste runs & amazing freeriding opportunities.
If you want more info get in touch via .mist-adventures.com as we can definitely make your next holidays at Jasna most affordable.
Jasna is a great place, full of great people and has great plans for 2012-13 incl. new gondola that will link the northern & southern sides of the resort, making it easier for those who don't like using drag lifts (i.e. button lifts)
this winter they created some new pistes & this meant that maintained runs are now in place that offer great riding from the top of Chopok, again catering for those little more reluctant to try the plentiful off-piste.
Whilst Jasna is not Austria or France, it's miles ahead of Bulgaria etc & just a great value.
Hope to see you there soon ;o)
Demänovská Dolina -Jasná Ratings
Overall: 3.7. Based on 10 votes and 12 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Demänovská Dolina -Jasná.
Public Transport: 3.7
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.8
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Demänovská Dolina -Jasná.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.9
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Demänovská Dolina -Jasná is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Demänovská Dolina -Jasná relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.1
(1) There are no snow groomers at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Demänovská Dolina -Jasná is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.2
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.8
(1) Demänovská Dolina -Jasná usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.2
(1) The staff at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.4
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.5
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Demänovská Dolina -Jasná has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.9
(1) Not even a kicker at Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Demänovská Dolina -Jasná, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Demänovská Dolina -Jasná has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.3
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.4
(1) Overall, Demänovská Dolina -Jasná is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.8
(1) Overall, Demänovská Dolina -Jasná is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 21, 2012
pablo from Czech Republic
The snow making facilities were switched off because since September til December it was the driest period ever recorded there (for example in November it usually falls around 50 mm of water equivalent and this year only around 1 mm). Simply there was no water to make snow. Even so I have spent there 8 days in December and I think it was quite fine. And three days in January after falling almost 1 m of snow were absolutely excellent.
January 20, 2012
Marek from Czech Republic
I have been in Jasna almost every season for last 5 years. They are investing loads of money to the lifts and it shows. Recommend SNP hotel just next to the piste, it is very good value for money.
January 02, 2012
Tom from Germany
They have a lot of snow making facilities but they are not switched on. Caused by missing natural snow more then 50% of the tracks had been closed. I cant`t understand this. But it might be because they get the 33€ for the daily skipass also if only half is open. So why work for the money and make snow. In fact 50% closed and from the open slopes 50% in very poor conditions. So you better use only very old skies. Comparing the price for the ticket to the conditions and numbers of open ski tracks it is a very expensive area.
December 16, 2011
J Fisher from United Kingdom
Went to Jasna (Demänovská Dolina -Jasná) with 5 mates in January 2011. Had a great time. Very friendly place. Stayed in a lovely house down by the Mara lake and the Aqua Park in a village called Trnovec - can't beat those thermal pools after a hard days skiing! On-piste prices are amazing - beer €1.30 and meals from €3 and it's even cheaper in the town! Loved it so much I went back a month later. Am planning two more trips out in 2012. Will stay in the same place. Here's my e-mail if you're interested in having the details. firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 26, 2011
Eric Pollard from United States
This resort (Demänovská Dolina -Jasná) has some excellent free ride terrain. I recommend it highly.
January 05, 2011
peter from Slovakia
All of you can use Google but for sure.
Check jasna.sk - its resort website and all information about accomodation,skipass prices,open/closed slopes and lots of other stuff.
and also check horsa.sk :)
November 27, 2010
T.Rice from United Kingdom
Jasna (Demänovská Dolina -Jasná) is great, with amazing off-piste, and an ok park. It's not as big as most alpine resorts but a lot better value. We stayed with Propoganda; would highly recomend.
December 07, 2009
john from United Kingdom
Despite my previous comments Jan 2009 was really good, Not as cheap as it was but still very good value compared to other European resorts. I did look around this year but guess what have booked Jasna again for early Feb 2010, I can ski again later with the money saved.
November 30, 2008
juraj from Slovakia
Demänovská Dolina -Jasná - really the best and biggest ski resort in Slovakia. I recommend perfect packages in hotel Grand near the chair lifts - big discounts for winter 2008-9.