Visitor reviews for Borovets Ski Resort

Borovets Ratings

Overall: 3.7. Based on 106 votes and 186 reviews. Vote

Snowsure: 3.7

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Borovets is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Variety of pistes: 4.0

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Borovets has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Off-piste: 3.1

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Scenery: 4.0

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Access: 4.2

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Borovets.

Public Transport: 3.6

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Borovets, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Accommodation: 4.4

(1) No places to stay in/near Borovets, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.9

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 3.7

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Borovets.

Ski in/Ski out: 4.3

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 3.7

(1) There are no child care facilities at Borovets, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowmaking: 3.6

(1) Borovets relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.9

(1) There are no snow groomers at Borovets, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Borovets are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.7

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Borovets is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 2.7

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Borovets, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.0

(1) Borovets usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 3.6

(1) The staff at Borovets are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Borovets are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.4

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 4.2

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.2

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Beginners: 4.1

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.2

(1) No intermediate terrain at Borovets, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 3.7

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 3.1

(1) Not even a kicker at Borovets, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Cross-country: 3.3

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Borovets, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 2.2

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Borovets has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.7

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 4.2

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 4.2

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 3.6

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.3

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 3.5

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 3.7

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 4.0

(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 4.1

(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

January 02, 2009
Adrian Singleton from Ski Bulgaria Bulgaria
I've been to Borovets for 4 years on the run between 2004-2007 with Inghams & never had any problems. Travelled with my wife, teenage children & in-laws, and I've enjoyed every year. Something for everyone from quiet bars to nightclubs for the night-owls. Skiing instructors are good & speak excellent English. The snow conditions have been excellent except 2007 but 2007 was bad all over Europe. Every year the lifts have been good, some replaced with new ones & the infastructure is continually being upgraded & improved. Stopped in both the Iglika & Ela Hotels but prefer the Iglika; rooms very similar clean/comfortable but food far superior in the Iglika & also is a quieter location behind the Rila Hotel. Both bars are cosy & tend to be a lot cheaper than the larger hotels. Overall, I can recommend Borovets to anyone new to skiing. I prefer smaller hotels but friends have stopped in the Rila & Samakov & say they are good. Last year I went to Italy & yes, the pistes where better groomed but I would still go back to Borovets especially if taking family/friends new to skiing.
December 31, 2008
Carla Berry from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Have just spent Christmas in Borovets and wouldn't recommend it!. Went with Inghams and wouldn't recommend them either. As soon as we boarded the coach in Sofia we were told that there wasn't much snow and we would have to meet at 8am the next morning to see if the slopes were open. It turned out that there was never any chance of the slopes being open that day as the Opening ceremony was at 1pm. I don't like being lied to. So we lost a day's skiing. I could live with that but we weren't even allowed to pick up our skis etc, we had to wait 'til the next morning - at 8am again. We were then told the wrong place to collect them. All in all this summed up the service we received from Inghams: wrong information. The skis and snowboards, when we did get them, were just terrible, talk about cheap crap, not looked after, certainly not serviced - all this on the first week of their season. The slopes aren't pisted, they can be pretty dangerous. The ski instructor my family had was absolutely rubbish and far more interested in her niece than them. For a place which markets itself as being ideal for beginners and intermediates I would say they're lying about that too. The nursery slopes were packed, queues for the button drag lift were all the way to the top of the lift, nuts! A lot of people in Borovets were lovely, friendly and whilst they obviously wanted your money they weren't too pushy. However, none of the nice people worked in our hotel. The staff at Hotel Ela are miserable, rude, unfriendly and can't cook. The food was atrocious, the Gala Dinner on Christmas Day was an insult, I wouldn't have fed it to the scabby dogs which hung around outside. I am not a fussy eater, I will try anything but I came home very hungry. The radiators didn't work and two of our group were awoken by water dripping on them from a crack in the ceiling. The hotel staff gave them a key to another room but couldn't be bothered to help them move, I guess they had more important things to do at 1.30am. Skiing isn't a cheap hobby, we all know this however, before you visit Borovets be warned that you have to fight for your change, you will be overcharged at every turn, the hotel bar is a separate business from the hotel so make sure you don't try to take a drink from the restaurant to the bar, you will be threatened with the manager getting the police to ' kick your ass outta here' - even if it is Christmas day! Virtually everything in the shops are fakes, a Coke at the restaurant at the top of the gondola will cost you £5 and a packet of Strepsils will cost you £6.50. Orange juice and lemonade was the best one - having been asked if she was sure that's what she wanted my mate was then charged £7.50!! Unbelieveable. Borovets is beautiful, some of the skiing was good but really and truly you would be much better off going to the Alps.
December 29, 2008
sam philip from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Fantastic. A friend and I went to Borovets in Jan 07 and stayed at the Iglika which was comfortable, clean and the rooms were quite big. There were decent food and facilities such as a swimming pool and games room. The thing I liked most about the hotel and all the other hotels at the resort is that they are all right at the bottom of the slopes so you never have to walk for long. You come out the hotel door and you’re on the slopes. We really liked the lively atmosphere of the resort. There are many bars and a few clubs, all friendly and very, very cheap (£1 for a beer and 50p for a shot). As highlighted in other reviews there are people outside the bars asking you to come in but nothing too pushy and all quite light hearted. This adds to the spirit of the place. We liked the Buzz bar the best mainly because of its happy hours from 8pm till 1am. There were also a few strip clubs which were a good laugh. The resort is best suited to young people looking for a good time in the evening. We went in early Jan and the snow was excellent; some of the best I have seen in Austria and Switzerland. There is night skiing available every night for about 12 lev or 8 pounds which is worth a go as a surprisingly large amount of piste is open by flood-light; very fun evening. My friend and I are experienced skiers and found that the pistes catered for us very well. In particular there was a black run right up the top of the left hand side which is my favourite run of all time. It has snow which is fairly piste bashed so has a light powder dusting which is amazing. We also noticed that it would be a fantastic place to learn to ski as there are plenty of gentle slopes as well as a great area in front of the Rila hotel for total beginners to lean. We did not have any problems with queues for lifts as it was not too busy and all lifts stayed open all week. I think that this is one of the best ski resorts I have been to as it mixes good skiing with very good après-ski, also guaranteed good snow due to it being so high. There are some fantastic deals on the web such as lastminute.com, week holidays for around £250, which is less than half as much as you would pay in other European places but with none of the draw backs and I really do mean none. A large group of my friends have just paid £850 for their holiday in France in this coming Feb which is ridiculous. After my holiday in Borovets I don’t think I will go anywhere else. My friend and I have got a group together and just booked our holiday for the 24th of Feb 09 for £265 and can’t wait. Go with an open mind and you will have one of the best ski breaks ever, and for 1/2 or 1/3 of the price, is good news for every one in the present economic climate.
December 29, 2008
MARTIN DAVIES from Ski Bulgaria Bulgaria
I go to Borovets 3 times a year, 2 in winter for snowboarding and one in summer for the hot sunny weather in which I got burnt last July. Slopes are great for intermediate/beginners prices are well below France and the slope fashion competition is non existent; wear what you want and don't feel bad about it... I liked it that much I have a house out there now and with Easy Jet flying out there for £60 I can't lose. I was out in late Feb 2008 and conditions where not great but the weather was hot and sunny as it was in every other ski resort in Europe. France was in trouble as was Andorra and Italy so whereever you went in March you would have struggled to get good conditions, lesson? yes; book in Jan/Feb next year. Great food, great company, no slope snobery, good night life and good segregation if you don't want it. Slopes are reasonable and prices are good. It's a great location overall.
December 27, 2008
Nikolay Minkov from Ski Bulgaria Bulgaria
I could hardly read few of the comments but I am sure most of them are not so good at all. With 2 words about Borovets I can say that it is one of the best resorts for winter sports in Bulgaria. I know it is not so well developed as some other places in Europe but the nature is the amazing part. First of all the highest point where people can ski is on over 2500m on different pistes with different difficult level. The weather is some times severe but when the day is fine the experience is unique. On the top of that in sunny days you have the privilege to ski or snowboard on the landscape with the highest summit on the Balkans (Mussala-2925 m). On the other hand the prices are really low for an average European citizen - day pass for less than 30 euro during week days and lower in the weekends (season 2008/2009). There are some improvements going on like building new lifts and so on.
November 28, 2008
mark from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Been to Borovets 3 times and would recommend it to all but the best serious skiers. Stopped in the hotel Zodiac once and the Ella twice. Hotel Ella is clean and warm with a friendly atmosphere, food in the Ella is rather horrible but in the resort it is fantastic. Would recommend Marmamcitas, the chinese, the alpine are all fantastic. Marmacitas has fantastic food with good prices and one of the best live bands I have ever heard. The lead guitarist is amazing. We go in a group of 15 and everyone loves the place. Go to Borovets if you want a holiday that is more than just skiing. I'm an intermediate skier and there are enough slopes for me. To beat the queue at the gondola on a morning take a horse taxi to the Yasterbets lift and ski down to the gondola mid station. From there you get straight on the lift to the top. If you can avoid it don't eat on the top. Food is poor and over priced. Ski down to the resort if possible. All in all, I would recommend Borovets to people who want a holiday instead of just a skiing trip.
November 17, 2008
Deb Fletcher from Ski Bulgaria Bulgaria
Borovetz My family and I really enjoyed Bulgaria for our first ski holiday. My husband and I are mid to late 30's and the children are 13 and 15. It was like having 2 holidays in 1 with the children in ski school from 10 - 3 my husband and I got to ski together all day, then ski the last couple of hours with the children. The ski school instructors the children had were great and both girls really enjoyed it. Although we didn't have lessons we managed most of the red runs by the end of the week but the scope of runs was great. The food was fine even for my fussy 15 year old. The hotel was great. The rooms, although not huge, had everything you needed. Fantastic showers that massaged the tired muscles after a long day on the slopes. We were in bed by 11-12 every night so didn't see the late late night life but enjoyed a few beers after supper. When we asked the girls this year if they wanted a Christmas present or to go skiing again they both said skiing. Cant wait to go back:)
November 14, 2008
Evgeni from Ski Bulgaria Bulgaria
The general negativity of people who went to Borovets in March is understood... and still unfair. The best skiing there in my opinion (and I'm from Sofia so I got my fare share of skiing in Borovets) is down the Yastrebets slopes, using the newly built Yastrebets Express chairlift, which currently is the best in Bulgaria. It takes out the necessity to use the old gondola, which as some have noticed closes down when conditions are not perfect. The Yastrebets Express takes only 8 minutes to take you from top to bottom, and the queues there are rarely even half the size of those at the Gondolla. The slopes are for intermediates/experts, and having been to Bormio, Solden, Axams, Livigno, Stubai, St. Anton, etc. I must say that one of the two slopes, Yastrebets 2, or as it recently was renamed - "Popangelov" is up to the level of most FIS World Cup slopes. And to be fair, what can people expect coming to Borovets in March... Of course there will be rain and snow, it's the end of the season, and the slopes are at a very low altitude. This year my last skiing on the Yastrebets slopes was on March 29, and there was still snow for a week or so. All things considered, I must admit that for beginners Borovets is a great resort... until February. After that, it gets really difficult for people trying to learn, but for those who have already learned there are always opportunities. You just have to know where to look ;]
November 07, 2008
Tim from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I feel I must right in response to the review below. I was there in March 08 and conditions from resort to 1900m were absolutely horrendous. Over half the runs in this area were closed and the other half should have been closed. Above 1900m conditions were fine but that meant that in March 08 over half the resorts runs were closed or in terrible condition. You have to be careful reading positive reviews for this resort because the amount of Brits and Irish who have invested in this place and other Bulgarian resorts,and continuously come on the internet and different forums speaking positively of these places, lying about snow conditions, the ski infastructure, ski pass price etc etc. I was there in March 08 and the conditions were awful, 14 degrees at the resort and it also rained extremely heavily when I was there. If you are going here take everything positively that you have read with a huge pinch of salt
November 03, 2008
Linda from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Visited Borovets in March 2008,had a wonderful week skiing with superb conditions. Stayed in the newly built complex called Royal Plaza which was located in the centre of the resort; highly recommended. Food was ok in most restaurants and as we stayed in an apartment, we self catered for breakfast. Will be going again this season.