Besse Super Besse Resort Reviews
12 am 25 Mar 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Besse Super Besse at m altitude issued:
Besse Super Besse
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Besse Super Besse Ski Resort
January 04, 2016
Antoine from France
The best ski resort at less than 4 hours from Paris (much better than the Vosges or the Jura).
Tracks are quite easy but steep enough to get some real good fun. The new speed lifts allow you to warm your thighs by getting on the top in 5 min!
The connection to Mont Dore, when the weather is nice, allows you to try one of the best places for extreme free-ride skiing in Europe.
Besse Super Besse Ratings
Overall: 3.8. Based on 3 votes and 4 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Besse Super Besse.
Public Transport: 3.7
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Besse Super Besse, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Besse Super Besse, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.3
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.7
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Besse Super Besse.
Ski in/Ski out: 5.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Besse Super Besse, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Besse Super Besse is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Besse Super Besse relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Besse Super Besse, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Besse Super Besse are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Besse Super Besse is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.3
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Besse Super Besse, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.7
(1) Besse Super Besse usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 2.3
(1) The staff at Besse Super Besse are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Besse Super Besse are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.7
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Besse Super Besse has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Besse Super Besse, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.7
(1) Not even a kicker at Besse Super Besse, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Besse Super Besse, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Besse Super Besse has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.3
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.7
(1) Overall, Besse Super Besse is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Besse Super Besse is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
March 24, 2013
Dave Fraser from France
We went to BSB early Feb 2013; 5 hours from house in Angouleme. Weather brilliant, skiing was good, but only enough runs for 2-3 days. We had a camper van but the facilities were poor. The ski hire and pass people were great, the swimming pool manager was unhelpful so we didn't use the pool. Could have done with a sauna/shower area.
But all in all it was good. (Better than Aviemore, Scotland).
I would probably go back for the day but need to get there real early or you have to park miles away.
February 11, 2009
Alex Huert from United Kingdom
Due to my parents owning a chalet just down the road from Besse, I have skied at Super Besse (Besse Super Besse) for a number of years.
The resort has improved considerably over recent years with the introduction of snow cannons on most (if not all) pistes, a new chair lift and a new telecabine system opened at Christmas 2008 (this one runs even when it's windy).
Advantages of Besse Super Besse: lower than Alpine prices, access to Le Mont Dore (listed in the top 10 off-piste areas) when there is enough snow for the liason to be open, attractive medieval town of Besse near by.
Disadvantages at Besse Super Besse: weather can often be very bleak, white-outs and high winds are common, Super Besse is not high enough to have a glacier so there isn't a snow guarantee.
November 13, 2008
andy fraser from United Kingdom
Hi, I skied for many years in the Alps at many different resorts including over 30 weeks at La Plagne. I have brought a house in the Auvernge and Besse is 1 one hours drive away. Myself and my family, including a snow boarder, were pleasently surprised at the quality of the slopes. The runs are rather short but good fun up to intermediate level. 1 day lift pass 20 euro, ski hire and drink/food good value buy this a lot cheaper than the Alps. If you are driving to the south of France down the N75 during the winter stop for a ski.