Visitor reviews for Stevens Pass Ski Resort

Stevens Pass Ratings

Overall: 3.2. Based on 35 votes and 39 reviews. Vote

Snowsure: 4.1

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Stevens Pass is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Variety of pistes: 4.2

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Stevens Pass has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Off-piste: 4.0

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Scenery: 3.9

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Access: 3.6

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Stevens Pass.

Public Transport: 3.0

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Stevens Pass, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Accommodation: 2.0

(1) No places to stay in/near Stevens Pass, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 2.1

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 1.6

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Stevens Pass.

Ski in/Ski out: 1.6

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 2.3

(1) There are no child care facilities at Stevens Pass, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowmaking: 1.8

(1) Stevens Pass relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.8

(1) There are no snow groomers at Stevens Pass, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Stevens Pass are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.9

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Stevens Pass is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 2.4

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Stevens Pass, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.0

(1) Stevens Pass usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 4.2

(1) The staff at Stevens Pass are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Stevens Pass are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 2.7

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 3.6

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.1

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Beginners: 3.5

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.2

(1) No intermediate terrain at Stevens Pass, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 4.4

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 4.3

(1) Not even a kicker at Stevens Pass, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Cross-country: 3.9

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Stevens Pass, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 1.4

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Stevens Pass has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.0

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 3.4

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 2.8

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 1.4

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 1.7

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 2.4

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 3.7

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 3.7

(1) Overall, Stevens Pass is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 3.7

(1) Overall, Stevens Pass is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

September 21, 2015
Posaune from Ski United States United States
I've skied at Stevens since 1963. The more places I ski the more impressed I am by Stevens Pass. Yes, it is relatively small and it's crowded on weekends and holidays but it has a huge variety of terrain and some of the best snow on the Cascades' west side. I can ski there for a week in decent weather and not get bored. There are many little chutes and hidden places that give it great variety. I have a weekday pass at Stevens and a pass at Baker too. When comparing the two places Stevens has about the same amount of expert terrain in-bounds as Baker (though it's spread out more at Stevens) and much more beginner and intermediate terrain. While Baker is king of out of bounds skiing, Stevens has plenty to keep people happy for days. I've not been real happy with the new management, however. They have closed parts of the mountain mid-week because they thought that there were not enough people there, and they have put an emphasis on ski racing that has closed down large parts of the hill too many times for me.
December 10, 2013
Mike m from Ski United States United States
I am a 35 year ski year. I have skied at a lot of resorts. Stevens Pass happens to be my favorite. Luckily, I only live an hour and a half away. The skiing is phenomenal' mass powder days and steep runs. My only complaint is food in the lodges so I choose to not go to the lodges anymore. $248 for a midweek seasons pass what a bargain. Hope to see you on the slopes.
November 24, 2011
Todd from Ski United States United States
Stevens is a local ski area and not a destination resort. Probably shouldn't compare it to destination resorts, because it won't measure up, not the same category. The pass prices, when you buy them pre-season, are reasonable. Hopefully that doesn't change with the new owners. We bought the weekday passes with ski check for our family of 4 for $1100. But agreed on a full pass, it's way too high. We don't like the crowds on the weekends so it works good for us. The advantage card is another great option. As far as terrain I don't understand how anyone can't have fun here. I've been skiing there 23 years and it has something for everyone. As many have mentioned, chutes, cliffs, trees, steeps, moguls, groomed, beginner thru expert. It isn't a huge area, but has a little something for everyone. The backside was a great addition, all sorts of fun to be had there. I would like it too if they opened up some more terrain, hopefully that'll happen. As far as amenities, I think the improvements over the years have been great. I think the food is good/fine, not sure why it's so bad in some reviews, apparently I'm just not picky enough. Yeah it's not the cheapest, but I haven't been to any ski area where the food is cheap. The ski shop has come in handy and prices are normal. The rental process works fine and relatively quickly. The RFID system doesn't bother me at all, works fine and I don't see how it slows anything down but rather organizes it and don't notice a difference in wait times. It's just change and some like to think it's the problem, it's not. We "lost" our daughter last year, my wife went to the patrol office and they knew what lift she'd just been on so we knew where she was and went and got her. I also like that it just charges my account if I have an advantage card, I can go right to the lift. It's a great LOCAL ski area. I live near it, Baker and Crystal aren't as close but I'll go to Baker a couple times a year, the terrain there is great too. Pretty much everyone's told me the Summit isn't worth it, not close to me either. So I'm very happy that I live near such a great little ski area. We've made a lot of great family and friend memories over the years, and that is the best part.
November 17, 2011
Tim from Ski United States United States
Perhaps I am biased, but I would rate Steven's Pass as average. Growing up near South Lake Tahoe I am used to large resorts with a large number of varied runs, great powder, and beautiful weather. I will say that Steven's is a good choice for those looking to come from Seattle for a short trip, but compared to the standards set by CO, CA, and BC, Steven's is nowhere near that level. And to top it off, the season pass prices are ridiculous! Over $900 for an adult pass. Yes, you heard me right, $900!!! You can get an unlimited pass that includes Northstar California and Heavenly Mountain Resort and Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin in Colorado for $669. Any educated shopper knows that Steven's prices are a joke...
October 06, 2011
Shane from Ski United States United States
I love Steven's Pass. This coming winter will be my third season there. Already bought my season pass. For Mid week Riders it's the cheapest in the state. I admit it can be very crowded on the front side during the weekends but since I only get weekdays off that is not a problem for me. I never wait in a line on the weekdays. The terrain is very versatile from beginner to expert. A lot of people complain that there is no backcountry or only beginner runs. They have not truly explored the place then. I primarily hang out on the back side. Plenty of back country and tree runs there. I can snowboard all day back there and find new ways down every time. If you like terrain parks they probably have the best in WA. And if you have the unfortunate luck of injuring yourself on the mountain like I did last season their snow patrol is fast at responding and very friendly. It was a very crappy time for me but they made it suck less. My other two favorite places in WA are Crystal and Baker but I always find myself going to Steven's the most even know Crystal is quite a bit closer to me.
February 24, 2011
Mark from Ski United States United States
The previous posters listed some amazing back-country spots already so I don't need to re list them. I can vouch that those spots have everything: amazing tree runs in deep pow, gnarly steeps and cliffs, boulder fields full of pillows to smash, jumps ranging from small to insane, wide open steep and deeps, and fresh lines everywhere. It may not have the highest vertical stats but Stevens (Stevens Pass) has amazing terrain that is so easily accessible.
February 16, 2011
Jay from Ski United States United States
Only a beginner would think that Stevens Pass is only for beginners, or that it doesn't have a proper backcountry. As I recall, it's the only worthwhile resort in Washington (or Oregon that I know of) with an Open Backcountry Policy, that means no gates BTW. I think some of the naysayers here need a personal tour of Wenatchee Bowl, Tunnel Creek, Cowboy Ridge or Rooster, and then they can let us all know what similar options exist in such easy and open accessibility at other resorts. Until then it's Stevens and Baker as the two TRUE Washington State ski area gems...
February 15, 2011
Ama from Ski United States United States
To Ethan; You obviously have not skied at Stevens Pass for long enough to say that they don't have a proper backcountry. Just because Stevens has runs for beginners, and groomed runs does not mean that they don't have expert runs too. If you dont beleve me that Stevens has backcountry, I'll list some places for you: Hollywood Bowl, Roostercomb, Highland Bowl, Wenatchee Bowl, Cowboy Mountian, The Death Shoots (if that isn't expert enough for you, I don't know what is) Grace Lakes, and of course many others... I cant be expected to remember all the names, after all...I'm only 13.
January 19, 2011
ethan from Ski United States United States
Stevens Pass is for only beginners and intermediates; simple terrain, no continuity in the runs and lack of a proper backcountry. Alpental is much better with backcountry and less beginners.
January 18, 2011
Shane from Ski United States United States
You can get a seasons for deals months in advance. I got a seasons at Stevens (Stevens Pass) this year for $300 in October. Plus all the other parks around here suck besides the one at Stevens. Also, I've had my pass suspended from Mt Baker for 2 weeks, for speeding on my snowboard. Who does that...