Visitor reviews for Les Orres Ski Resort
February 03, 2015
captain from France
People of countries drink and make noise. They have no respect. I live in Les Orres and every year it's the same thing!
[note from the editor: post edited to form complete sentences in the English language.]
Les Orres Ratings
Overall: 4.0. Based on 3 votes and 9 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Les Orres.
Public Transport: 3.3
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Les Orres, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Les Orres, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Les Orres.
Ski in/Ski out: 5.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Les Orres, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Les Orres is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Les Orres relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.7
(1) There are no snow groomers at Les Orres, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Les Orres are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Les Orres is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.3
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Les Orres, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.7
(1) Les Orres usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.7
(1) The staff at Les Orres are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Les Orres are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 5.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Les Orres has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Les Orres, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Les Orres, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Les Orres, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Les Orres has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.7
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.7
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.7
(1) Overall, Les Orres is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Les Orres is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
April 01, 2013
Andy Powell from United Kingdom
Spent a week here at end of March 2013. A great little resort. Not easy to reach from UK (we arrived by car) but worth the effort. We were lucky with the snowfall but plenty for us to do all week including some great off-piste. Not at all crowded, in fact, often had lifts & runs to ourselves. Enough also, in the resort, to eat; different restaurants every night between 1600 & 1800. A hidden gem? Hopefully, not too many people will read this!
March 28, 2011
Vojta from Czech Republic
Never, ever, ever, ever. I´ve just returned from Les Orres and thinking nothing good. Accommodation was sufficient, but resort conditions was terrible. No artificial snow, finishing of pistes was the worst. Take also all night long, finish at 9:30 am too.. No corduroy and they couldn´t find the same pressure for the snow finishing for all snowmobiles...
January 02, 2011
fscscveffve from Falkland Islands
it is good
December 12, 2008
Rob from United Kingdom
Les Orres is not a bad little resort. A pain to get to especially if you fly to Lyon as it takes a further 4 hours by coach.
There is good skiing at Les Orres with decent altitude but nothing too advanced. Definitely one of those 'moving from beginner to intermediate' areas.
Watch out for the groups of school kids in March.
The best airport is Marseille and there are easy train or bus transfers.
Direct overnight sleeper service by train from Paris.
March 27, 2008
jay_ref05 from France
I go to this place every year. There is good snow and a lot of sun all the year (lesorres.com/gb/winter). Even in summer you can make mountain bike, free ride... (lesorres.com/gb/summer)
And this year they have made a free Wi-Fi (wireless) internet connection everywhere : lesorressansfil.com
January 12, 2008
The Laird from United Kingdom
This is one of the gems. Les Orres is a mid-sized French station. Two fast 6-man chairs then a short drag lift to one of the top stations gives access to non-stop 1200m rides, mainly on blacks and reds. Stop at the Zenith Cafe at 2500m for a snack, or just to sit in the sun and absorb the mountain scenery.
January 05, 2006
George Dowty from United Kingdom
This little known resort in southern Alps offers some really excellent skiing. The are are some challenging reds and blacks due to steepness of the terrain. Many runs are through the treeline giving them character. We also enjoyed some excellent off piste powder. The mountain restuarant is exceptionally good. Les Orres was uncrowded - not one lift queue - and one of the best kept secrets of the Alps.
December 09, 2004
Paul Cawson from United Kingdom
The best skiing I have had not as many runs as Tignes or the Three valleys but I enjoyed the skiing more.Quite far South so it gets a lot of sun but high enough to get good snow.Some good long Reds and wide Blacks.The Black Le Horrible will have to wait for another year!. The night life was low key but the town offered good value quality food and ski gear during the day.