Ski Greece

Ski Greece

Kalavryta Ski Resort Resort Reviews

Visitor reviews for Kalavryta Ski Resort Ski Resort

Kalavryta Ski Resort Ratings

Overall: 3.2. Based on 117 votes and 76 reviews. Vote

Access: 3.3

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Kalavryta Ski Resort.

Public Transport: 3.3

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Scenery: 4.4

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Accommodation: 3.9

(1) No places to stay in/near Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.4

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 3.7

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Kalavryta Ski Resort.

Ski in/Ski out: 2.6

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 2.6

(1) There are no child care facilities at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowsure: 3.4

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Snowmaking: 1.7

(1) Kalavryta Ski Resort relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.9

(1) There are no snow groomers at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Kalavryta Ski Resort are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.0

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 2.5

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Kalavryta Ski Resort, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 3.8

(1) Kalavryta Ski Resort usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 3.4

(1) The staff at Kalavryta Ski Resort are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Kalavryta Ski Resort are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.0

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 3.8

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 3.6

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Variety of pistes: 3.5

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Beginners: 3.9

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 3.9

(1) No intermediate terrain at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 3.9

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 3.4

(1) Not even a kicker at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Off-piste: 3.7

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Cross-country: 2.6

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 2.7

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.1

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 3.0

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 3.2

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 2.0

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.0

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 2.9

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 2.6

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 3.1

(1) Overall, Kalavryta Ski Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 3.0

(1) Overall, Kalavryta Ski Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

March 22, 2011
Aris from Ski Greece Greece
I would like to comment on an area that needs improvement. This is the place where people are waiting to get the lift, especially at the waiting area of lifts for Styga and Thetis. The surface of the land is not straight and people are hitting each other. I believe that it is very easy to put somebody to dig the area and create a straight surface.
March 13, 2011
Anestis from Ski Greece Greece
Indeed, the infrastructure in Helmos ski-resort did reach new heights. However, the human resources remained the same, disappointing. Not only are they indifferent when asked for help, but also they are offhand, rude and tend to scorn visitors at any given time. I would be very lenient if I considered them inadequate even to herd the goats of Helmos mountain range! Last Thursday (10/03/2011), my friends and I set off for Helmos ski resort. We paid the €15 ticket fee and board on the first lift at 11:00. Suddenly it broke down. We, and the rest of the skiers, stayed confined to the obsolete lift for 45 minutes! The lift was announced to be out of order and so the 50% of the mountain pistes. When we claimed for compensation, the staff was laughing at us and they said that no refunding was possible. When we asked to speak with the administrator of the resort, they were completely sarcastic and they all alleged to be the administrator themselves. It was a parody! As you can figure out, we couldn’t even communicate with such ignorant people. Shame on them, shame on the man who bears the title of resort manager, shame on these speculators, these filthy business cons who take advantage of their monopolistic character and eventually the naïve visitors. I wish I didn’t have my cottage in the area so I could avoid visiting this resort for the rest of my life!
March 01, 2011
Long time skier from Ski Greece Greece
I visited Helmos a few days ago for the first time in a couple of years and I'd like to congratulate the resort operators for seriously improving the overall experience there. The pistes were wonderfully groomed and the equipment looks well maintained despite its age. Piste staff is courteous and helpful. However, having said that I'd like to point out two issues that negatively affected our visit. First of all the issue of cost. Though I realize the ski season in Greece is short and prices are high in order not to operate at a loss, the prices in the cafes are extortionate. 4,5 euro for a tiny cappuccino is disgraceful. Secondly, the staff at the ski rental building at the resort must have missed the customer service training because they were rude and arrogant. My girlfriend and I (both very good skiers) were each given a pair of skis in obviously terrible condition (for double the price compared to ski rental shops in the town of Kalavrita) and when I (politely) asked for a newer pair the staff member seemed very displeased that he had to go to the trouble of unmounting another pair. When I pointed out a specific pair, he said "what, you want me to take down all these skis so I can get you the one you want?" That is simply unacceptable. Also, when we returned the equipment, the same guy asked my girlfriend (who had dropped one of her batons on the floor while giving the equipment back): "Did we only give you one baton?" in a very sarcastic manner, even though he had seen the baton fall to the floor. Unfortunately, this is a frequent occurrence in tourist resorts in Greece, where staff somehow feel it is a privilege for you to be served by them instead of the other way round. I hope the resort managers are able to sort these issues out. Other than that, (not including the snowboarders who cut up the snow and take up half the pistes by sitting down wherever the feel like ) we had a great day :)
February 13, 2011
Nicholas Vembos from Ski Greece Greece
A new season has started at Helmos ski resort. A little late, I'd say, but at least it did! Excellent powder off-piste and very well prepared pistes. I see a lot of good new things happening there and and once again, I keep my fingers crossed that this is the time and that good things will keep on happening there! The snow park is excellent with super neat kickers, a very nice thick rail that anyone can ride and a huge balloon that makes jumps and tricks easy even for noobies! Guys, grab your video cameras and run at the park. You can catch very professional videos and pictures of yourselves airborn! And the best is that the balloon if for free while last year it had a per day charge. At last a good playground for all has been formed. I am so happy about it, so happy. I can't wait for the weekend to come! Cheers to all guys and happy rides! Nick
January 26, 2011
Kalavrita Ski Center Management Team from Ski Greece Greece
We would like to inform you that the ski season at the Kalavrita ski center(Helmos) started as of today! At first we want to introduce ourselves. Since this winter we are the new management and operating team at the Kalavrita ski resort (the company was recently restructured to an S.A.). We are very thankful for all your comments and we are committed to do our best to make your visit in our ski resort a memorable experience. We also want to inform you that we have changed a lot of things this year; let us give you a few examples: We put all our staff through a customer service training, starting from the cashier till the ski patrol. We invested around 100 k Euro in building a new fun park, improving the lifts, renewing the building, etc... but please understand that we are not able to build all lifts new in one season. We are talking about 3-4 million Euros for one new installation! Of course the installations are not new, but they are in a very safe and, for their age, good condition. All lifts have been checked by specialists, who have provided all necessary certifications! We hope we could be able to give you some more context in the future. We hope also that we will continue receiving your feedback, especially about your feelings after a visit on our mountain. Thanks and nice ski days.
March 09, 2010
DIMITRIS from Ski Greece Greece
I have been skiing at Helmos mountain for the past 15 years. The only reason that I have been doing it is because it is the nearest resort to my home (only 45km). It is a very beautiful mountain and it has every potential to become the best ski resort in Greece. Unfortunately, it is the worst ski resort in Greece and that is because the lifts are very slow, old and probably dangerous. They brake down continuously and as an engineer, I can easily understand that as they have almost no maintenance. The most important disadvantage of this mountain is the people working for this resort, especially the people at the parking and at the lifts; they are very rude. They do not help at all and especially on weekends and holidays (don’t visit the resort that days!) they constantly delay to open the resort and hurry to close it and go home. The people operating the snow-ploughs work maximum 1 to 2 hour per day all together. I have never in my life experienced such bad services anywhere else. As for the web side…. don’t believe the web side! Paragliding, endurance skiing, snow tubes, snow park simply do not exist! There is, from time to time, something like a snow park but please don’t try it as you will probably harm your self and maybe end up at the hospital. As for the height of the snow, they don’t say it, they prefer the customer to go to the resort, pay a pas (25 euro at weekends!) and only then he can see if the snow is suitable. I really hope that things will change soon and until then I will try to visit other resorts even if they are far away from my home.
March 03, 2010
taliban from Ski Greece Greece
A ski resort consists of three elements. The mountain, the infrastructure and the people. So, one at a time: 1. The mountain: It is really beautiful at Helmos and quite high for Greek standards. The pistes are basic and with no specific difficulty. For example, the main blue resort run, begins with a steep part [red] which often frustrates beginners. A couple of red runs begin with really flat parts, where even well waxed boarders have to walk. The obvious off-piste options though, are quite interesting. A few mellow hills close to the resort, a big, steep open face under the Styga chairlift, a couple of small natural pipes, and a face with trees and wide gullies on the right side of the double drag lift give the boarder many options, depending on his ability, the snow quality, the weather and of course the lift operation status. If you are prepared for some easy walking, and possibly a bit of adventure, there are also some very interesting, not obvious off-piste routes, to discover. 2. The infrastructure: It is bad, even for Greek standards. It would be very easy to start joking about the slowest lifts on the planet, but for me it is not funny any more. Would be nice to rebel against the cappuccino price [4.50€] but I do not care. My belief is, that the resort was designed by people who had nothing to do with mountain sports, and that is why the two base lifts are useless, offering 200m of vertical ascent in about 10 minutes, not counting the queue wait. Actual descent time for these two? From 45" if you "straight line" them to six minutes, if you walk down on one foot, carrying your mother in law. For the same reasons, the top of one lift is not high enough, for a boarder to reach the bottom of the next one without walking and on a weekend or holiday, the queues can be lifetime long [10-45min]. Anyway.. Now, if you take a look at the resort's web site, you will find out about some very interesting extras like paragliding, endurance skiing, snow tubes, moguls ski, Snow Park and even an MX race track. Well, I have never seen any of these on the mountain [although there is a terribly maintained [dangerous] park, from time to time]. Probably the web designer made all these up.. So, considering all these I would suggest a reasonable day-pass price of 7-10€. Reality though, makes me sound ridiculous, since lift passes cost 15-27€.. 3. The people: Oooh, the people. It is really embarrassing, since they are ireeks like myself, but I have never, ever met, worst -well paid- workers in my life. I don't care if they are rude, because I am 1,90m tall and weigh 90kg, so they aren't rude to me. But they are useless. They do nothing. They do not need to be there, they do not have to be paid, they do not need to exist as parts of the resort team. For sure trained monkeys, would have done a better job.. As a conclusion: I would definitely suggest a visit to Helmos, under a few golden conditions. Never on a weekend or a holiday. Never when the wind blows faster than 25km/h. Always with lots of patience, a couple of sandwiches, and a bottle of water in your pack. The mountain is nice! PS What is mostly disappointing, is that in the last five years, no progress at all has been made. Things just keep getting worse. Would be really something, if us, riders could boycott the resort for a whole season, just to make things move a bit in the right direction of privatization..
January 28, 2010
Chris Georgantzos from Ski Greece Greece
I don't know where to start. Maybe from the parking personnel who tell you to park the car so close to each other that at the end of the day it is very difficult to unpark and you have to unpark passing cars by centimeters in the snow or icy tarmac, why are they there? The snow center opens at 09.00 although the site mentions at 08.00. We waited from 08.45 to 09.00 in -4 celcius for the ticket person to roll her cigarette in the warmth of her shelter. Why can't they issue tickets or even open earlier than 09.00 - science fiction. Coffee or snack prices 5 euro each. In Austria prices in the snow center concerning snacks are much cheaper. Not to forget the outdated lifts that need 13 minutes to get you to the piste (that's for the faster Styga seated lift). You spend 13 min in the lift to ski for 10 minutes, each round perfect. I try not to use this ski center (Helmos) at all but because of its proximity I use it 3-4 times a year. I would like to use it more but the condition of the pistes means you need all-mountain skis most of the time. Shame, if nothing worse.
January 26, 2010
Pantelis from Ski Greece Greece
A pleasant surprise indeed. The lifts at Helmos are all modern and function well. Great place for families. The Green run at the bottom of the mounain was free to use so it was perfect for children just starting out. The ski school was also located there so it was extremely convenient. Organisation wise, not easy to judge as we were there on a Monday and we pretty much had the whole mountain to ourselves. It did appear that the lift staff preferred to be in the shelters so not sure if they would have come out if there were long queues. Will definitely go to Helmos again!
December 27, 2009
Fotis Lekatsas from Ski Greece Greece
Helmos lead has been changed... It is going to be better. Example, first day opening with Styga totaly opened, great snow and track quality... that never happened before. But the main problems remains: Styga lift problems. It stuck and I was waiting in the middle approx. 20min Also high chalet prices. 4.5 euro for a coffee or 6 euro for a Red Bull. I think that this year will be the last one without updating the lifts at Helmos.