Ski Greece

Ski Greece

Kalavryta Ski Resort Resort Reviews

Visitor reviews for Kalavryta Ski Resort Ski Resort

Kalavryta Ski Resort Ratings

Overall: 3.2. Based on 117 votes and 76 reviews. Vote

Access: 3.3

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Kalavryta Ski Resort.

Public Transport: 3.3

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Scenery: 4.4

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Accommodation: 3.9

(1) No places to stay in/near Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.4

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 3.7

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Kalavryta Ski Resort.

Ski in/Ski out: 2.6

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 2.6

(1) There are no child care facilities at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowsure: 3.4

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Snowmaking: 1.7

(1) Kalavryta Ski Resort relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.9

(1) There are no snow groomers at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Kalavryta Ski Resort are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.0

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 2.5

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Kalavryta Ski Resort, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 3.8

(1) Kalavryta Ski Resort usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 3.4

(1) The staff at Kalavryta Ski Resort are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Kalavryta Ski Resort are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.0

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 3.8

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 3.6

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Variety of pistes: 3.5

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Beginners: 3.9

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 3.9

(1) No intermediate terrain at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 3.9

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 3.4

(1) Not even a kicker at Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Off-piste: 3.7

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Cross-country: 2.6

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Kalavryta Ski Resort, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 2.7

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Kalavryta Ski Resort has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.1

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 3.0

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 3.2

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 2.0

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.0

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 2.9

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 2.6

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 3.1

(1) Overall, Kalavryta Ski Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 3.0

(1) Overall, Kalavryta Ski Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

February 01, 2013
Ane from Ski Greece Greece
Dear snow-enthusiasts, I'm writing to share with you my deepest disappointment about this so-called ski-resort. It is by far the worst resort in Greece, in terms of staff, management and infrastructure (in proportion to its ticket price and size). Almost every time I go snowboarding to Kalavryta, I bitterly regret it. Once again (last Tuesday) the greedy management, of the resort, dared to charge visitors 12 euros, while the whole resort was under routine maintenance (during the whole day), excluding the plate-lift (the one at the right of the base). Further to the above unjustified charge, the 'management team' had made no notification at the ticket kiosk in the previous days to inform those who had visited the resort, nor had they posted any clear and bold notification at their website to avoid putting us through this ordeal. I hate those people. They have always taken advantage of customers and their monopolistic character. We are always taken in by them when it comes to a infrastructure fault. Shame on them. I hope an investor takes over in the near future and gives them the sack!
June 29, 2012
Management of the Ski Center from Ski Greece Greece
We regret that you didn’t have an excellent impression during your visit to the ski center, since the team of our employees is always focused on the best possible preparation and the safe operation of the ski center, based on the resources and capabilities available. Helmos Mountain is an ideal destination for safe skiing at all levels. We are always at your disposal for the best possible service and hope you will have an excellent impression next time you visit us.
February 29, 2012
marios from Ski Greece Greece
Hi to all, I am writing just to mention the situation at Helmos Ski Centre during last Friday. Great sunshine and light powder from Thursday night's snowfall, it was probably one of the best days of the season. Or at least that is what me and my friends thought. Instead the lazy employees of the ski centre did not even try to keep the pistes in a decent condition and it was bumpy all over!! They opened Styga at 10:30 and they never worked on Artemis. Great day for snowboarders though. If the management of the centre aims to turn it to a snowboard-only resort, all they have to do is just communicate it to all of us still skiing. Take care.....there are also other ski centres. Marios
February 21, 2012
Alex from Ski Greece Greece
Perfect powder snow conditions during Fri 17/2 & Sat 18/2 @ Helmos. More than 80cm fresh powder, 200cm snow height. That was the best days of this season! Sunny with low temp. I was there taking the first chair on the lift (Stiga) and enjoy untouched powder!
February 05, 2012
trancewindsurfer from Ski Greece Greece
This resort is getting more ridiculous by the second. The lifts reminded me of a resort in a third world eastern block country. Granted, it was a bit windy this weekend but the lifts they decided to operate stopped every other second, the lines were long too. Also, on non windy clear days you'd be lucky to find Styga open. I'm guessing 'cause they don't wanna spend money on electricity, cause skiers aren't that many. Pricing sucks too, instead of spending money on marketing (tons this year it seems) maybe it wouldbe better to reduce prices. I'll leave it up to the smart managers to prove me wrong...
January 08, 2012
nicksar from Ski Greece Greece
On January 6th, 2011 Helmos Ski Resort didn't open neither to skiers nor to visitors for security reasons due to stormy winds (the wind speed was more than 50 km/h) and fog. Relevant announcement has been issued and published previous evening.
January 07, 2012
Dimitrios Panagiotou Kosmopoulos from Ski Greece Greece
Last week I visited the ski-center of Helmos with my cousin, Jimmy, for skiing. The weather was snowy and the pistes were full of snow. When we arrived there, we were skiing at the easier pistes where there weren't too many people. After almost two hours, we wanted something a bit more difficult and we decided to go to the most difficult piste of the center, Ino. At first it seemed to be a really hard piste for my cousin to go down with me because of the much powder but we had decided to do that. At a moment, my cousin fell down and hurt his leg. He couldn't stand up, crying with pain and my aunt was ringing me because we had to leave! I was very confused! After twenty minutes I lifted my cousin up and we went straight down to chalet where my aunt was waiting for us. When we finally got there my aunt started shouting angrily at me because we were too late. I tried to explain her what had happened but she was extremely angry. When we returned back to the town of Kalavryta, where we live, I understood that I did well that I helped Jimmy. I had never felt so nervous in my life, but I knew that I had to do that.
January 06, 2012
Kalavryta Visitor from Ski Greece Greece
The only ski resort on earth that can be closed due to snow. Even the cafeteria. God help us!! (06/01/2012)
January 04, 2012
drew from Ski Greece Greece
They have sorted it this year, the park is open, and being looked after for a change, the mountain has a good base down and it's going to snow again next week. Well done to the management apart from the slow lifts that can't handle weekends or holidays. Will be back on my next days off!
December 28, 2011
drew from Ski Greece Greece
Am looking forward to the new season and I hope the staff attitude towards paying customers improves this season as well a reliability and speed of the lifts (I also got stuck on the 10th of March this year and got lousy attitude from staff) I also hope they update the pass system soon similar to Parnassos because several times my pass got tatty and they refused to let me on the lift and it took me an hour to sort out a solution. Swore last year I wouldn't come back but I'm going tomorrow. Fingers crossed.