Visitor reviews for Gala Yuzawa Ski Resort
January 08, 2011
Daz from Japan
I went to Gala Yuzawa yesterday and had an awesome time. It was powder-tastic!! They had recieved up to 60cms the previous day and when I rolled into the area on the early morning Shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo, it was still puking down. The upper slope of the central area was powder heaven, hardly anyone there and face shots at every turn. I don't know if I lucked out on the weather but the snow was as good as anywhere else I've been. For ease of access from Tokyo, its hard to beat this place, the resort has its own Shinkansen station built into the Base Station. Get on the train in Tokyo and 90 mins later you are slashing up the mountain!! Get off the train, go upstairs get your ticket, change clothes then get on the Gondola......its that easy. On the negative side, 1000 yen for a locker is a bit steep IMO and the same again for the onsen is also a bit much for what is a glorified bath. The runs are a little short and there are some weird flat run outs that are not good for me and my fellow snowboarders BUT the quality of the snow made these all insignificant. Yuzawa is a great area with a big choice of resorts all easily accessed from the Train Station in town....Kagura and Naeba are the heavyweights but the other smaller resorts are definitely worth a day's riding to check out.
Gala Yuzawa Ratings
Overall: 3.5. Based on 2 votes and 2 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Gala Yuzawa.
Public Transport: 5.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Gala Yuzawa, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Gala Yuzawa, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Gala Yuzawa.
Ski in/Ski out: 5.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Gala Yuzawa is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Gala Yuzawa relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Gala Yuzawa, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Gala Yuzawa are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Gala Yuzawa is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Gala Yuzawa, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.0
(1) Gala Yuzawa usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.0
(1) The staff at Gala Yuzawa are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Gala Yuzawa are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Variety of pistes: 3.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Gala Yuzawa has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Gala Yuzawa, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Gala Yuzawa, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
Mountain Dining: 4.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Ski Pass Value: 3.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.0
(1) Overall, Gala Yuzawa is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Gala Yuzawa is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 28, 2005
Vasu from India
Great place for Sking and site seeing. View from ski spot is excellent with all mountains with snow around. If weather is good, this is an excellent place to visit.