Visitor reviews for Castle Mountain Resort Ski Resort
March 16, 2018
Murr from Canada
It appears that snow-forecast is deliberately attempting to emphasize one bad review from contributor pariah which is now several years old. Despite record snowfall this year and probably the best snow conditions in western Canada we still see this misleading negative review as the banner review on a regular basis as noted by other reviewers. Very disappointing snow-forecast
[note from ed: nothing deliberate. The relevant post has now been removed and this post will remain for a short time.]
Castle Mountain Resort Ratings
Overall: 3.2. Based on 85 votes and 94 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Castle Mountain Resort.
Public Transport: 2.2
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Castle Mountain Resort, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Castle Mountain Resort, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.7
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.2
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Castle Mountain Resort.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.3
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Castle Mountain Resort, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Castle Mountain Resort is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Castle Mountain Resort relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Castle Mountain Resort, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Castle Mountain Resort are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Castle Mountain Resort is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Castle Mountain Resort, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Castle Mountain Resort usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.3
(1) The staff at Castle Mountain Resort are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Castle Mountain Resort are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.6
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.9
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Castle Mountain Resort has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Castle Mountain Resort, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.1
(1) Not even a kicker at Castle Mountain Resort, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Castle Mountain Resort, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Castle Mountain Resort has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.5
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.4
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 2.7
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.8
(1) Overall, Castle Mountain Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.7
(1) Overall, Castle Mountain Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 10, 2018
Brian from Canada
Get with the game snow-forecast 22 days straight with new snow. Best POW experience in western Canada. Get rid of the 3 year old report it doesn’t represent reality.
[note from the editor: please do let me know the report/review in question by sending details of date and name to email@example.com}
May 20, 2017
Skibri from Canada
March 2015 still the headline of comments, you guys need to catch up. Epic season in 16/17 that's what should be displayed. Great hill and Year at Castle.
[note from the editor : last post for this area was made January 2017. Some of this post will be edited after a short time.]
January 24, 2017
C Marriott from Canada
Castle provides a 5 star ski experience for those skiers who like good powder on steep runs. Yes, it has old lifts & few accommodations but the atmosphere of great lifties, happy skiers and a super pub make up for the lacks. Ask any local and they will point you to their favourite spots. Mid week you are in skiing bliss: no crowds! For the beginner/intermediate skier they have put in a new chair: Huckleberry that has easier terrain & a snow park. The lodge offers a good range from nice hotel rooms to shared rooms i.e hostel style.
November 09, 2016
Steve Bennett from Canada
I have spent 15 seasons skiing Castle Mountain Resort; 40 to 50 days per season. I have had very few bad days as there is always good skiing somewhere generally. 2014 -15 season was definitely poor and short, but that wasn't the fault of Castle; it is what mother nature dealt. I have skied many resorts in Western Canada and they all have bad years every so often, and have more bad snow condition days than a normal year at Castle. Nobody has bigger, steep, fall line skiing with a good variety of terrain off of a few lifts, which is why I call Castle home. Let us hope for a great season, with lots of snow for everyone. You can ski whereever you want, but you can find me at Castle.
October 04, 2016
MEXXX from Canada
Disappointed to see snow-forecast continuing to display comments from 2 years ago when all of Western Canada suffered from one of the worst snow years on record. This is my favorite resort and I hate to see them affected by negative comments that are no longer relevant.
[note from editor: an archive of reviews in addition to weather reports can be useful for users. Do submit your own this season.]
December 22, 2015
mexxx from Canada
Wonderful to see such a great start to the season. Skied the last two weekends and couldn't help smiling all the way down. Although the base area was a little thin on opening weekend, the top had unbelievable coverage. The snow cover over the past two weeks has put the base area into great shape so it should be a fantastic Christmas season. It is one of those rare years that the chutes get filled in early and now they should be great all year. What a treat after the conditions that hit all of the western Canadian and US resorts last year. I guess the world isn't coming to an end after all!
November 10, 2015
Steep Skier from Canada
Castle is an awesome mountain. Gets lots of snow; really steep terrain. Crazy long fall lines. Did I mention steep and rowdy chutes? Lots of glade options too. If you like old school feel with epic terrain, Castle is for you. Grab a Giv'r Ale and a pizza in the T-Bar for apres.
October 31, 2015
Crazy cruiser from Canada
If you love skiing, I mean really love skiing, you will really love Castle Mountain. About as close to heaven as you can get at any resort. You can easily get 30,000 vertical a day on amazing runs and oh the pow!
January 14, 2015
mex from Canada
Huge, expert terrain. Big snow, small crowds and a great community. That is what makes this resort so special.