Vitosha Resort Reviews
8 pm 09 Oct 2015(local time) Weather Forecast for Vitosha at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Vitosha Ski Resort
April 24, 2012
Dimitar from Bulgaria
Cons: There are few good pistes (not too long though) but they along with their lifts are usually crowded and you spend most of the time in the queues. So value for money is low, maybe sometimes except for a few detached short pistes suitable for beginners (up to 100-200m gentle slope) and just one 800 m with moderate slope (blue piste).
Cons: An adult beginner has nothing to do at main sector near "Aleko" - for last years only children are allowed to use baby-lifts there! Adult beginners are welcome only at baby-lifts owned by Machirski ski-school at Ofeliite and Vetrovala ("Zlatnite mostove" west sector). But apart from that there is just one 800 m blue piste suitable for intermediate skiers and no one for advanced skiers at that sector. Both sectors are about 2 hours drive apart (you have to go down back to the village then go uphill again).
Cons: Car access is partially restricted while public transportation is insufficient.
Cons: You don't have a money-back option when lifts close due to weather conditions. You can try negotiating for a compensation for the next day - and sometimes you have a chance to obtain it.
Cons: "Vitosha Ski" has a monopoly over all pistes and lifts except few small baby lifts. This winter "Vitosha ski" spoiled the whole ski-season due to its jobbery motives and the ski-pistes and lifts (except those few baby lifts) didn't open at all!
Pros: There is a wide plateau (few kilometers) there and thanks to the frequent moderate winds snow-kite becomes more and more popular year after year!
Pros: You don't need to overnight at Vitosha to take a ski-tour (or just a tour) to the peak where you can drink a tee and have a lunch with friends at the meteorology station before riding your skis or your board downslope.
Pros: The main winter touring tracks (mountain-wide) in the alpine zone have relatively well maintained marking poles and offer limited or no avalanche-hazard most of the time.
Pros: Fortunately there are relatively few of those noisy snow-mobiles there (you may even don't hear one for the whole trip to the peak).
Overall: 2.8. Based on 14 votes and 10 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Vitosha.
Public Transport: 3.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Vitosha, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Vitosha, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.9
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.3
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Vitosha.
Ski in/Ski out: 2.6
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Vitosha, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Vitosha is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Vitosha relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 2.9
(1) There are no snow groomers at Vitosha, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Vitosha are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Vitosha is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.1
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Vitosha, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 2.7
(1) Vitosha usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 2.4
(1) The staff at Vitosha are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Vitosha are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.1
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 2.8
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 2.7
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Vitosha has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Vitosha, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 1.3
(1) Not even a kicker at Vitosha, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Vitosha, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Vitosha has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.5
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.2
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.7
(1) Overall, Vitosha is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.6
(1) Overall, Vitosha is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
November 20, 2011
Kelly Rowan from Bulgaria
Vitosha is about to become the most accessible resort for ski in Bulgaria. Snow stays there from the end of December till beginning of April. Ski lifts are the cheapest in whole Bulgaria and can be reached by a bus shuttle from Hladilnika every half an hour. Also there's gondola lift from Simeonovo to the Aleko chalet. The slopes are not that much, but about to cultivate. There are couple of "black" tracks, 3 red ones, 2 blue, one big green.
What has to be done is to renew the equipment of the drag-lifts.
In some words - Vitosha is best compromise according price - quality!
May 04, 2009
Boyan Batchvarov from Bulgaria
I just had a great ski day in Vitosha. Nothing so special, except it's the 4th of May :) Plenty of free-ride opportunities here.
February 20, 2009
Todor Petkov from Bulgaria
I live in Sofia. I ski and snowboard for 15 years in Vitosha. There are two options in that resort valid for 80% of the days from 1Dec to 31March:
1. Not enough snow
2. Lifts are closed due to the weather conditions
Vitosha seems to be OK being so close to the city but transportation to go up there is a nightmare.
January 13, 2009
Dimov from Bulgaria
Beautiful and extreme. The best rides in my life. Also the best spot in Bulgaria for kitewing and snowkite. Lots of winds on the Vitosha Plateau.
January 10, 2009
TE from Bulgaria
Amazing mountain with many freeride possibilities. Almost all the mountain is a freeride terrain.
November 06, 2008
Dimensions from Bulgaria
When I wake up the first thing that I see is Vitosha mountain. Beautiful mountain with great slopes and freestyle areas. 20 min by car. What else can you want? Just enjoy.
December 06, 2005
Ivan Georgiev from Bulgaria
After the long working day you can go to resort and make night ski. Very Nice.
December 02, 2005
ogy from Bulgaria
Vitosha's the best resort it only 30 min. from my house and is the best freestyle area VITO6A RULEZ