Kühtai Resort Reviews
1 pm 20 Jul 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Kuehtai at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Kühtai Ski Resort
February 13, 2014
Jonathan Brook from United Kingdom
Kuhtai is a small steep resort with limited blue run skiing. There are a couple of blues higher up the mountain but you have to ski down quite a steep red run to get back to base. There is no lift back option unless you're prepared to walk back up the slope to the gondola. Of course this is no problem for most skiers but learners and people lacking in confidence beware. I, on the other hand, am an experienced skier with a 6 year old lad that happens to be fearless so it's great. Hotel Elisabeth is great, on the slope, next to the lift. Kuhtai also has night skiing which is a great experience. It's only 40 mins from Innsbruck Airport, much cheaper than other resorts for ski pass, accommodation etc and is big enough for a small family and the less experienced. If you wish to venture further then you can catch a free bus to a resort down the road. The lift pass covers both resorts. The snow conditions are always good due to it being the highest resort in Austria and the slopes are always well groomed and quite. If you like off-piste then there's a great damm wall you can ski down plus other bits and pieces. There's also a fantastic toboggan run that's about 2 miles long where you can hire a sledge and get a lift. If you want value and quality but can live with a small resort and can ski then it's great. Let's face it, if you find a nice ski run in a large resort then sometimes it's better to ski the one you like rather than traipse from resort to resort and plan to get back on time or you can find yourself stuck in another valley facing a very expensive taxi back. All the ski runs are good and lead back to the main village. Throw the lift pass away and enjoy the slopes!
Overall: 4.0. Based on 10 votes and 6 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Kühtai.
Public Transport: 3.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Kühtai, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Kühtai, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.7
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Kühtai.
Ski in/Ski out: 5.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Kühtai, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Kühtai is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Kühtai relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.7
(1) There are no snow groomers at Kühtai, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Kühtai are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Kühtai is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.2
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Kühtai, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.7
(1) Kühtai usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.9
(1) The staff at Kühtai are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Kühtai are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.8
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.8
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.7
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Kühtai has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Kühtai, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.9
(1) Not even a kicker at Kühtai, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Kühtai, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Kühtai has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.1
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 2.9
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.6
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.1
(1) Overall, Kühtai is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.3
(1) Overall, Kühtai is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
September 29, 2013
Will from United Kingdom
Kuthai is a very good resort! We booked our holiday and were staying in Gries im Sellrain just down the valley and went up to Kuthai most days (we also went to the superb Stubai Glacier). All together the resort was well equipped and the lift prices were quite reasonable! However, the area is only about 50km of slopes so for a couple of days in a week you should plan some excursions. Luckily, there is a ski bus to the neighbouring resort of Oetz.
Accommodation: There is quite a lot in the town.
December 28th 2012.
April 07, 2011
ANDY MUMBY from United Kingdom
Just returned from a wonderful week in Kühtai with my family.
The snow was fantastic with blue skies daily although I would say that the runs were not for novices as all of the runs were red to come back to the village. The one blue run in the mountains was great but the only way to ski it continuously was to risk life and limb on the T Bar (I thought those things were banned or obsolete). Apres ski is definitely low key but that's what we like, the mountain restaurants were perfect especially the hot chocolate with rum.
Overall, we loved it .
Can't wait to return next year.
5.5hrs transfer from Kühtai to our home in the south of England.
February 14, 2010
Jim Bell from United Kingdom
I was lucky enough to book a last minute deal for w/c 23/1 and with no prior knowledge of the resort (Kühtai) was very pleasantly surprised! Excellent hotel (Sportshotel), great skiing (although limited) with a two hill pass covering Ochsengarten (free bus transfer) and absolutely no queues!
February 03, 2010
Derion from Greece
I skied at Kühtai on 31st January 2010. Perfect weather, perfect pistes, perfect snow quality, everything was perfect... A great experience, totally recommendable. 35 km from Innsbruck. 80 min. by free shuttle bus. 30 euro day ticket. I hope I could spend more time there..