Hintertux Resort Reviews
1 pm 19 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Hintertux at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Hintertux Ski Resort
October 28, 2015
Carl Edwards from United Kingdom
Do not waste your money on a lift pass. There are thousands of skiers race training. The Italian team are worst. They are allowed to close pistes then jump the huge lift queues.
Overall: 4.1. Based on 15 votes and 9 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Hintertux.
Public Transport: 4.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Hintertux, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Hintertux, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.2
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Hintertux.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.9
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Hintertux, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Hintertux is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Hintertux relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.7
(1) There are no snow groomers at Hintertux, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Hintertux are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Hintertux is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.1
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Hintertux, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.7
(1) Hintertux usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.1
(1) The staff at Hintertux are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Hintertux are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.6
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Hintertux has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Hintertux, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.4
(1) Not even a kicker at Hintertux, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Hintertux, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Hintertux has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.2
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.6
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.9
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.1
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.2
(1) Overall, Hintertux is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.1
(1) Overall, Hintertux is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
July 12, 2012
Peter from United States
I've been going to Hintertux for over 20 years. It's one of the most beautiful and appealing places on the planet!. It has everthing to offer: year-round skiing, hiking, fine food, top-rated hotels. If you are an avid skied or rider Hintertux is a must for your bucket list. I can't wait to go back next summer!
April 12, 2011
carole from United Kingdom
What a great place. Have been coming here for the past ten or so years; we love the glacier round, apres-ski also good with live entertainment at the Tenne at the base of the glacier. A very friendly and welcoming place
February 13, 2011
Tom B from Austria
We, as a family, have been skiing in the Ziller Valley for a good number of years. here is much choice catering for young families and the more mature. The Hintertux is great, it suits all levels, one needs to go no further, it is possible to ski all the way down off the mountain straight to the bar/car park. A really good ski-bus service, if you have a car the car park, some of it is underground is free! Great lifts; fast and almost queue free; never had to wait more than a few minutes. I have skied in other places but this resort is very difficult to beat. Would certainly recommend to anyone!
March 31, 2010
Tomas from Czech Republic
Hintertux had very good snow conditions above 2200m (1st lift level). Weather was typical for March - snow showers, freezing temperatures in the morning and warmer in the afternoon. I can recommend this resort. It's better to go between mid of Feb and mid of March as at the end of March it's very croudy because it's one of the last place in Austria with very good snow conditions during spring.
March 16, 2010
uk punter from United Kingdom
More snow @ home... don't go! Worst season ever for Zillertal.
January 12, 2009
Adders from United Kingdom
Will be going to the glacier on the 30th Jan and can't wait. This is the 3rd time in a year for me. Went on the opening day of the season: 6th Dec 08 for four days. Fantastic snow and lots of powder as the majority of the slopes opened the day we arrived. The best thing for me about Hintertux is the lack of queues and this is due to the superb lift system they have there. The only time I have ever had to fight to get on a car was the first time I was there on the way back down the mountain. As soon as I found that you can ski from the top of the glacier right down to the village of Hintertux and right up to your car if you parked in the right place, I stopped bothering with the cable car. Apres-ski is limited so if you want a really mad one with loads of bars you had better stay in Mayerhofen but it is a long way from there to the lift systems at Hintertux, Eggalm and Finkenberger. If you don't mind spending an evening in one or two bars then you can 'apres' in Hintertux or Vorderlanersbach at the bottom of both lifts with no problem. One thing you can always guarantee is the snow due to the height and the glacier so if you want snowsure conditions this is one of the places in Europe to visit.
January 22, 2007
bert fisk from United Kingdom
Just got back from the Hoff( Jan 07.) It was good spring boarding but Hintertux was amazing. The snow conditions rocked. Well groomed and no one there. The restaurant food just capped the day off, chicken and chips with a cola mix for 10 euros, bam. It's well worth a visit on a sunny day. I have heard it is not nice on windy days and also probably too technical for snowbladers but, apart from that, knock yourself out.
September 09, 2005
Tony Voss from United Kingdom
Hintertux....what a place! In my veiw the best glacier resort in Europe. Modern and fast lift system, Piste in great condition and cheap places to eat. The real secret is the off piste! Just below the glacier line in the winter there is a huge off piste bowl ( some of it marked as "schiroute" marked off piste ) and no body skis it! I was there on an "all mountain ski course" and the terrain was perfect. Tours are available with a guide to the higher peaks across the glacier. Can be cold in winter but the reward is worth it. You can link in to the main Zillertal ski system which has some great off piste if you know where to go. Good place for a mixed group of skiers. Better skiers would over look this area....they are missing out! Off the slopes the apres ski in MAD! You must check out the Hohenhaus at the bottom lift.