Cypress Mountain Resort Reviews
3 am 24 Jan 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Cypress Mountain at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Cypress Mountain Ski Resort
January 14, 2017
Hungry from Canada
They do a great job with the conditions they're stuck with. However, the cafeteria has really gone down hill! Bring back the pesto pizza; it was the best pizza anywhere! Bring back the burritos! Bring back the stuffed potatoes! The new management really fails!
Cypress Mountain Ratings
Overall: 3.4. Based on 54 votes and 73 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Cypress Mountain.
Public Transport: 3.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Cypress Mountain, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Cypress Mountain, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.2
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Cypress Mountain.
Ski in/Ski out: 1.6
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Cypress Mountain, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Cypress Mountain is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Cypress Mountain relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.1
(1) There are no snow groomers at Cypress Mountain, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Cypress Mountain are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Cypress Mountain is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Cypress Mountain, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.7
(1) Cypress Mountain usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.1
(1) The staff at Cypress Mountain are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Cypress Mountain are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.8
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.9
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.9
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Cypress Mountain has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Cypress Mountain, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.7
(1) Not even a kicker at Cypress Mountain, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Cypress Mountain, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Cypress Mountain has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.2
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.6
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.6
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.6
(1) Overall, Cypress Mountain is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.5
(1) Overall, Cypress Mountain is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 06, 2017
Peter from United States
I agree with another reviewer; place is disaster.
I witnessed kids being slammed with snowboards sliding down the mountain: so called ski resort instructor left snowboard to slide down the hill and almost seriously injured a 5 year old.
Apologies like "sorry" just don't cut it, no responsibility at all.
Rental is ridiculously long, so called supervisor at this department rude and unprofessional.
For all folks claiming "if you don't like it go somewhere else", I suggest them to get a passport and go to some other alpine regions in the world to learn how ski resort should be organized.
December 19, 2016
Amy from Switzerland
I visited Cypress this weekend (Sat 17th Dec) and was very disappointed. Snow cannons were working while people were skiing. I have never encountered this in Europe! Sometimes I could barely see anything because of that. I think it shows the huge disrespect to visitors of this resort. Snow was very poorly groomed (very icy on steep parts of some slopes, piles of new loose snow close to cannons). Queues to rent equipment are also very long. We waited about 40 min and it was freezing cold. Queues are also quite long for every lift because they don't have enough capacity. If you are used to European resorts avoid this place!
December 18, 2016
George from Canada
I thought this would be for Cypress Mountain, it is not, it is for Cypress Mountain Resort as shown above. The mountains here are Strachan, Black and Hollyburn.
How about correcting the title for the forecast page too! And give a forecast for the real Cypress Mountain, please.
[note from the editor: Cypress Mountain is the name of the resort. Please refer to mountain-forecast.com for peaks in the area.]
December 10, 2016
Glen (Mennorgleno) Harder from Canada
I love Cypress. But I hate these forums for letting my biggest secret out. Sigh.
I lived next to Grouse when I was a kid and spent most week nights up there, and weekends at Whistler.
Now that I am all grown up but still love to shred, I have made Cypress my new home (averaging 65+ ski sessions for each of the last 10 seasons, except 2010, and who can blame me?).
The reasons are simple:
1.The close proximity to Vancouver, coupled with the near Whistler/Blackcomb experience. If you want to challenge yourself see if you can ski top to bottom nonstop down Raven Ridge ('First Sun', 'Meteor' etc.). Hats off if you can.
2. The outstanding staff (starting with Jamie in parking) and generally ending in with food in the Crazy Raven.
3. The view.
4. The big stupid grin that won't leave your face when you finally go home.
All that being said, please keep it to yourself.
November 26, 2016
Chris from Canada
When it snows, the secrets of Cypress rival any mountain in the world. Spend some time getting to know the locals and if you have the skills, you can have the thrills!
January 16, 2016
Lana from Canada
I'm really annoyed and this is the 2nd time this has happened. Checked weather before heading up to ski hill and they posted light snow under current conditions. Drove all the way up to the hill and it was a downpour. Turned around and came home. I would have been soaked the first time up the chair lift. This isn't the first time they have mislead me with the snow report. How can they get away with this. I'll be driving to Manning from now on; you just lost my business:(
April 30, 2014
Dennis from Canada
This last season I had both Cypress and Seymour seasons passes. Seymour has been my mountain for the previous 5 years, but I've outgrown it, I think. Cypress has the snowmakers that can make the difference between a run and a rock garden. They pay more attention to beginner park than Seymour (never figured that out...), and far more variety in terrain. If you're buying a family pass, you can't beat Seymour's early bird discount, but otherwise the price difference is worth it. I was concerned that weekends might be a total zoo, but it's about the same as Seymour and nothing like Grouse on an average weekend.
December 30, 2012
Alfantaztic from Canada
I have been shredding Cypress for 3 years and coming from Grouse I haven't turned back. Way less busy, triple the terrain, less noobs/tourists to get mad or have collisions with. Amazing food and parking. And great staff that help out alot behind the scenes.
Best mountain on the West Coast and affordable too, anyone complaining should be way more appreciative 'cause anyone who rides Cypress should feel lucky.
December 15, 2012
Yale from Canada
Most expensive but still the best.
Your next possible upgrade - to drive to Whistler. Waste of time if 1 day.