Mainalo Resort Reviews
8 pm 19 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Mainalo at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Mainalo Ski Resort
January 19, 2015
JOHN from Greece
Mainalo ski resort got a much needed overhaul this year and is wonderful. New ski runs and improved grading, grooming and widening on the older ones. A remodelled chalet and new management. I was very pleased with the changes made. Well worth the trip to visit Mainalo. Great for families too. So close to Athens.
Overall: 3.5. Based on 24 votes and 8 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Mainalo.
Public Transport: 3.2
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Mainalo, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Mainalo, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.7
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Mainalo.
Ski in/Ski out: 2.9
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Mainalo, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Mainalo is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Mainalo relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.6
(1) There are no snow groomers at Mainalo, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Mainalo are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Mainalo is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.4
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Mainalo, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.5
(1) Mainalo usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.0
(1) The staff at Mainalo are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Mainalo are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.5
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.6
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.4
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Mainalo has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Mainalo, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.8
(1) Not even a kicker at Mainalo, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Mainalo, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Mainalo has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.5
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.6
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.8
(1) Overall, Mainalo is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.6
(1) Overall, Mainalo is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 27, 2013
Derion from Greece
I skied at Mainalo on Saturday, 16 February 2013. There was a lot of snow. The scenery was wonderful. The pine trees were full of snow and I took some great photos and videos. I had a great time. I skied almost 3 hours. At the beginning it was a little foggy and snowing but after the weather cleared it was almost sunny. It was cold and the snow was in excellent quality. In Mainalo there are 2 surface lifts and 3 pistes, of which 2 blues and 1 red. The one surface lift is called Arktouros and the blue piste served is called Aniti. This is on the base of the ski center and is the easiest one. The main surface lift is called Aetos (Eagle in Greek) and is serving 2 pistes, the blue Erato and the red Pan. On the slopesmap available on the website of the ski center there are also other pistes, but none of them are ever groomed. Only the 3 as above pistes are groomed (Aniti, Erato and Pan). The disadvantage of Mainalo for beginners is that the main surface lift (Aetos), which is serving the 2 most important pistes (Erato and Pan) is very steep and many beginners cannot go up until the end. Erato is very beautiful piste between the forest. Pan is a difficult piste for experienced skiers. And one tip, in order to ski Pan piste, you must cut through the red Alexia. Pan is not skiable in the beginning, right next to where the lift Aetos finishes. One must turn right, ski for little, then turn right in Alexia piste for little and this leads to piste Pan a little distance after the top.
February 14, 2012
Sadirag from Greece
Mainalo is a really beautiful mountain with a little nice ski resort. Limited number of slopes. It would be great if they could replace the old surface lifts with chair lifts. It's worth a visit.
June 14, 2011
alex from Greece
Mainalo is an excellent place for a promenade but not to ski. very short slopes (1000m maximum).
February 03, 2011
KON from Greece
Mainalo is a really nice place to visit, though not enough snow supply and few choices of pistes.
Looking forward to seeing an upgrade to the ski resort in the next years.
January 05, 2010
A Francis from Greece
Mainalo is a mountain in southern Greece. Snow is rarely enough for skiing. When the ski centre is open, it is less crowded than other ski resorts but there are only three pistes and the organisation is elementary. Mainalo is close to Athens - about 2hrs 15 mins and is easily accessible.
February 14, 2009
tassos ripolin from Greece
Mainalo is an excellent place. I have been skiing there for the last 10 years, at least.
January 12, 2005
CHARALAMPOS GEORGOPOULOS from Greece
MY FRIENDS VISIT A FANTASTIC AND NOT VERY BUSY SNOW RESORT TO GREECE.IT IS THE NEAREST SNOW RESORT TO ATHENS !!!A LOT OF SNOW AND GOOD SERVICE CONDITIONS TO VIZITORS.