Gudauri Resort Reviews
3 pm 16 Aug 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Gudauri at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Gudauri Ski Resort
April 06, 2017
Dutch from Netherlands
Been in Gudauri a couple of days (last days of March 2017).
A few things I noticed:
- there was some fresh snow which melted every day. The higher slopes are the best. (as always)
-the guests of Gudauri are an interesting mix of people, because Tbilisi is very easy to reach from Dubai. Most of the tourists are Russian, but the easy Visa regime of Georgia makes it that you see a mix of Filipino, Indian, Arabic and western tourists (most from Dubai).
-the lifts: there are two faster lifts: 1 detachable chairlift (Soliko) and the gondola (Gudaura). But if you are an experienced skier, the two highest lifts (Sadzele & Kudebi) to the summits are the only red and black slopes. But these lifts are very slow. (15 minutes!) The higher lifts aren't detachable lifts and there are a lot of non-skiing tourists who are going to the summit as well, which means they slow down the lifts all the time to let the tourists get in and out. So you spend 15 minutes in the lift for 5 minutes skiing.
For beginners it's great that you can use the 'magic carpet' and 'baby lift' for free. You can find teachers for about 50 lari an hour.
For the next step there is a good and easy green slope (called Snow Park) with a chair lift at the top of the gondola (cabin). I never had to wait a minute during my days of skiing.
- In my opinion, New Gudauri (around the base station of the gondola) the nicest place to stay. There are learning lifts and there are terraces around for a nice beer in the sun in the afternoon (5 lari for a beer).
-the slopes are well prepared. Don't expect any sign.
- a little warning: don't ski the two highest lifts when you are a beginner.
-the road from Tbilisi is pretty good and it takes about two hours.
All in all: it's quite nice for a couple of days. Of course it's not comparable with most resorts in the Alpes. You can't make tours. I will be back when the lifts are a little faster.
Overall: 3.4. Based on 24 votes and 12 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Gudauri.
Public Transport: 3.3
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Gudauri, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Gudauri, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.7
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.6
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Gudauri.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Gudauri, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Gudauri is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Gudauri relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Gudauri, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Gudauri are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Gudauri is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 1.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Gudauri, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Gudauri usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.6
(1) The staff at Gudauri are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Gudauri are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.6
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.7
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.7
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Gudauri has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Gudauri, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.7
(1) Not even a kicker at Gudauri, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Gudauri, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Gudauri has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.6
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 2.7
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.7
(1) Overall, Gudauri is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.1
(1) Overall, Gudauri is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 13, 2017
David from Spain
Gudauri is known because of its powder and wonderful snow. I was there April 2016 and it was plenty of snow but quality is really bad. You must go in winter, never spring. Otherwise, resort is modern, big, prices are low, people are nice and there are plenty of off-piste slopes, with or without helicopter. Descending to the Sadzele nort slopes and returning on a taxi is amazing and cheap. Highly recommended.
February 25, 2015
alon from Israel
THE best freestyle park in Eastern Europe! Great people and atmosphere! I love Georgia!
December 26, 2014
Giorgio Emmanouilidis from Greece
A lot of improvements since the first time I've been here in 2011. New gondola lift, full renovated chair lifts, more hotels, a 24/7 super market & cafe, gas station and the most important artificial snow for the really hard times without snow. More on piste skiing slopes and a wide range of free-ride slopes with good quality powder at its best. What else can a recreational skier ask for?
October 29, 2014
Daniel from Georgia
All reviews about Gudauri are far away from reality; all things have been changed since 2011.
Resort has now: cheapest ski pass price to compare it to EU resort, artificial snow, new hotels, wifi etc.
November 21, 2011
Nora from Ukraine
Visited Feb 2011
Pro: fantastic nature, good cuisine
Cons: we were 10 persons and have fun all together. There are very few places to go out in the evening and not cheap.
Services: big hotels are ok with services for their prices. But small and more cheap hotels...it depends. Just read reviews on their site gudauri.info
Accommodation: we have found family-hotel by ourselves. Sent a mail to the owners, then call and at the end have discount 10% - essential for 10 days for 10 people:) The phones and emails of the owners of hotel and apartments we found here gudauri.ru/list.php?c=hotels
November 20, 2011
Lala from Russia
Pro: Visited this resort season 2011. Nature - just your dream. Lovely people. Cheap prices (around Gudauri)
Cons: No snow NY 2010-2011
Services in Gudauri are far from the ideal for the prices they want. If want to be happy be ready to pay a lot of money
Accommodation: We lived in small family hotel. Price was above 50usd per person and I was really unhappy. Small breakfast, small dinner, every evening need to go out to be full. Shabby rooms from USSR times. It's better to pay a little more and live in big hotel, like Freerider hotel . At least you will have excellent HB and high level of services.
Information: Information about resort and accommodation(with phones, emails etc) at the site of resort gudauri.ru .
September 13, 2011
Oleg Gritskevich from Georgia
August 27, 2011 in Gudauri first snow fell, fell asleep Mount Sadzele, Gogibashvili and Red Mountain. Old-timers say that it usually happens in late September and expect a lot of snow in season 2011 - 2012.
February 28, 2010
David from United Arab Emirates
Feb 2010 in Gudauri. Resort/hotel facilities adequate if a bit grim but fabulous skiing. Great snow, well groomed. No queues, great views, big vertical.
February 16, 2010
Giorgi from Georgia
Gudauri has very good slopes (16km total) and predominantly, in months of February, March and beginning of April, very good weather conditions. During the working days relative small amount of people are on the slope, so you can ski without obstructions. Ski lift costs 15$ per day and hotel costs start from 30$ per person/day. On Saturday you can join the night ski on first slope.
Gudauri has relatively bad developed infrastructure, very few night events.