Visitor reviews for Stevens Pass Ski Resort

Stevens Pass Ratings

Overall: 3.2. Based on 35 votes and 39 reviews. Vote

Snowsure: 4.1

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Stevens Pass is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Variety of pistes: 4.2

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Stevens Pass has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Off-piste: 4.0

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Scenery: 3.9

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Access: 3.6

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Stevens Pass.

Public Transport: 3.0

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Stevens Pass, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Accommodation: 2.0

(1) No places to stay in/near Stevens Pass, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 2.1

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 1.6

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Stevens Pass.

Ski in/Ski out: 1.6

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 2.3

(1) There are no child care facilities at Stevens Pass, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowmaking: 1.8

(1) Stevens Pass relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.8

(1) There are no snow groomers at Stevens Pass, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Stevens Pass are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.9

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Stevens Pass is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 2.4

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Stevens Pass, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.0

(1) Stevens Pass usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 4.2

(1) The staff at Stevens Pass are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Stevens Pass are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 2.7

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 3.6

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.1

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Beginners: 3.5

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.2

(1) No intermediate terrain at Stevens Pass, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 4.4

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 4.3

(1) Not even a kicker at Stevens Pass, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Cross-country: 3.9

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Stevens Pass, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 1.4

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Stevens Pass has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.0

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 3.4

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 2.8

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 1.4

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 1.7

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 2.4

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 3.7

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 3.7

(1) Overall, Stevens Pass is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 3.7

(1) Overall, Stevens Pass is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

September 21, 2015
Posaune from Ski United States United States
I've skied at Stevens since 1963. The more places I ski the more impressed I am by Stevens Pass. Yes, it is relatively small and it's crowded on weekends and holidays but it has a huge variety of terrain and some of the best snow on the Cascades' west side. I can ski there for a week in decent weather and not get bored. There are many little chutes and hidden places that give it great variety. I have a weekday pass at Stevens and a pass at Baker too. When comparing the two places Stevens has about the same amount of expert terrain in-bounds as Baker (though it's spread out more at Stevens) and much more beginner and intermediate terrain. While Baker is king of out of bounds skiing, Stevens has plenty to keep people happy for days. I've not been real happy with the new management, however. They have closed parts of the mountain mid-week because they thought that there were not enough people there, and they have put an emphasis on ski racing that has closed down large parts of the hill too many times for me.
November 24, 2011
Todd from Ski United States United States
Stevens is a local ski area and not a destination resort. Probably shouldn't compare it to destination resorts, because it won't measure up, not the same category. The pass prices, when you buy them pre-season, are reasonable. Hopefully that doesn't change with the new owners. We bought the weekday passes with ski check for our family of 4 for $1100. But agreed on a full pass, it's way too high. We don't like the crowds on the weekends so it works good for us. The advantage card is another great option. As far as terrain I don't understand how anyone can't have fun here. I've been skiing there 23 years and it has something for everyone. As many have mentioned, chutes, cliffs, trees, steeps, moguls, groomed, beginner thru expert. It isn't a huge area, but has a little something for everyone. The backside was a great addition, all sorts of fun to be had there. I would like it too if they opened up some more terrain, hopefully that'll happen. As far as amenities, I think the improvements over the years have been great. I think the food is good/fine, not sure why it's so bad in some reviews, apparently I'm just not picky enough. Yeah it's not the cheapest, but I haven't been to any ski area where the food is cheap. The ski shop has come in handy and prices are normal. The rental process works fine and relatively quickly. The RFID system doesn't bother me at all, works fine and I don't see how it slows anything down but rather organizes it and don't notice a difference in wait times. It's just change and some like to think it's the problem, it's not. We "lost" our daughter last year, my wife went to the patrol office and they knew what lift she'd just been on so we knew where she was and went and got her. I also like that it just charges my account if I have an advantage card, I can go right to the lift. It's a great LOCAL ski area. I live near it, Baker and Crystal aren't as close but I'll go to Baker a couple times a year, the terrain there is great too. Pretty much everyone's told me the Summit isn't worth it, not close to me either. So I'm very happy that I live near such a great little ski area. We've made a lot of great family and friend memories over the years, and that is the best part.
November 09, 2015
Butters from Ski United States United States
I've grown up in this area and know Stevens pretty well. I would say it is the worst mountain to ever ski. If you are a beginner, this mountain is not for you. There is nowhere to park, nowhere to eat, and nowhere to stay. Whatever is open on a powder day you will get a pretty sweet run in.....before you have to spend the rest of your morning in line again. If you can be bothered to get in line again, by the time you get back to the top most of the decent lines will be tracked out. You get stuck in line with a bunch of rude, and aggressive locals who'll ski right over your skis or board to get one precious chair ahead of you in the line. Also, due to the generally mild conditions the snow usually turns to crud within a day or two of a snow fall. What is not mentioned when they are broadcasting 10 feet of new snow is that several inches of rain also accompanied the storm. The back-country is horrible. Its never groomed and always leaves you getting stuck in the Cascade concrete. It is best to stay on groomed runs. The groomers are not very well groomed. If you want some nice corduroy, it's best to go to Mission Ridge where you get much better quality of snow. Wear scuba gear! You will get soaked with the amount of rain that comes to this mountain! I had season passes this season but I wouldn't bother going back to this place. Plenty of other places with great terrain if you are prepared to hunt it out, and without the crowds, hype and aggro....and where you can actually ski powder all day. Best idea: go to California resorts. I heard they have been getting plenty of snow!
March 24, 2021
gideonsergei from Ski United States United States
Echo the Vail comments below. Been a pass holder for years, took my first lessons back in early 80's and it's been a great hill, love it. Unfortunately, whether earned or not, Vail has been the source of more complaints than I can ever remember. It's been baaaaad. When you've got 8 people running lifts and 2 lifts open on sunny days after a storm... well you're going to have a lot of unhappy people. I don't know all the details but I can tell you Vail is pretty much always the source of the problems. I hope they catch on quick or there will be scores more people on their way to Crystal (awesome hill).
November 12, 2008
MarQ from Ski United States United States
Stevens is the best place to ride in Washington State. Boasting the highest base elevation in the state, this versatile all around Mt has everything & anything you could want. The front is great for the beginners, nice long flowing runs most of which are lit for night skiing. The park is without a doubt the best in the state. It’s all about the flow baby, from the minute you drop in & pick from one of the 3 lines, small/med/man size every hit leaves you perfectly on the down side & with perfect amt of set up time for the next hit without losing any speed. Various rails, hips, tables & spines give each line their own unique touch leading to hours & hours of park fun. The crown jewel of the park, & the best jump in the state is the waterfall kicker, usually hitting 6-7’ high at the lip & with a downhill so long it’s almost impossible to over shoot. This perfect booter takes advantage of the natural slope of the hill, & is placed right under the park chair for maximum visibility. This park gives you the chance to go as big as you want & unlike some of the other area resorts this park flows perfectly. The pipe is solid, partially dug in so it opens early, usually well maintained so it’s fun to ride. Last season they started the park pass system, making you watch a short safety video, & is guarded by the park crew who check your park pass. not a bad price to pay to keep the fools who have no business in the park. Now if you are not stoked yet there is 7th heaven & the back side. bowls, steeps, trees, shoots, cliffs, it’s all there. Last year was my 1st season as a pass holder at Stevens, & we found more secret spots, hidden bowls, & crazy shoots than I can count, & I know there are countless more to be found. There is some reasonable in bounds hiking to access some other peaks, so power can almost always be found in bounds. I started my 1st day of the 07-08 season chest deep in uncut powder at Stevens pass, & I spent my last day of the season chest deep in uncut powder. Check the snow reports, because in WA conditions can change fast, but if you hear of a big storm coming, & freezing level is around 2000ft, you will find yourself experiencing heaven on earth at Stevens pass on a good powder day. Stevens pass local for life!! Or till I move from Washington state.
December 10, 2013
Mike m from Ski United States United States
I am a 35 year ski year. I have skied at a lot of resorts. Stevens Pass happens to be my favorite. Luckily, I only live an hour and a half away. The skiing is phenomenal' mass powder days and steep runs. My only complaint is food in the lodges so I choose to not go to the lodges anymore. $248 for a midweek seasons pass what a bargain. Hope to see you on the slopes.
February 19, 2019
Seattle Pat from Ski United States United States
I'm a local and started skiing here in 1977. I ran the ski club at UW in the late 80s and currently run the Seattle Ski & Snowboard Meetup, the largest & most active ski group in the NW. I've skied most resorts in our state but Stevens has always been "home base". It's a mid-sized mountain that packs a punch. Lots of different terrain and unbelievably, I've not been bored and can always find something new in 42 years of skiing here! Management is exceptional and great to work with and for being so on top of their game, Stevens still has that "Family Owned " feel to it. Now that Vail has purchased it expect some improvements in parking, overflow and lifts. There is plenty of room to expand at this resort!
December 07, 2010
lex crazzlton from Ski United States United States
Just have to say Stevens (Stevens Pass) is a great mountain, it's treated me well over the years. Hey, riding is riding. Just strap the wood on and shred the hill. No matter what, Stevens is always a good time. Highly recommend it if you're here, alls I got to say is tye mill to the top is always a good time, hogsback for the family always a good time, getting phlighty in the top phlight park always a good time, just go shred it and you will found out.
January 13, 2020
RWB from Ski United States United States
Vail bought our local resort, jacked up the lift ticket prices big time but they do not deliver service. They groom only four runs on Brooks, two on the bunny hill and one on Skyline. No grooming on back side, Tye, Hogsback and Kehr. Totally unacceptable. Only experts can ski Muggles. Not worse the money. Vail is great with taking the money but that is it. They fooled us this year but not for next season. We are going to Crystal from now on. I feel bad for the people who bought season passes and are stuck now with only 20% groomed runs. Not worth the money anymore.
April 01, 2010
Dan Hatch from Ski United States United States
Stevens Pass is my favorite ski resort by far. From fun and friendly staff to comfortable accomodations, including an RV parking lot! I've had my best year yet at Stevens by utilizing the ability to stay up in the RV lot, and wake up for 1st tracks! The coffee shop is open early and the outdoor fire place was great for sharing stories until 10pm!