Ski Austria

Ski Austria

Ischgl Resort Reviews

Visitor reviews for Ischgl Ski Resort

Ischgl Ratings

Overall: 4.2. Based on 42 votes and 33 reviews. Vote

Access: 3.9

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Ischgl.

Public Transport: 3.9

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Ischgl, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Scenery: 4.2

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Accommodation: 4.5

(1) No places to stay in/near Ischgl, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.0

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 4.9

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Ischgl.

Ski in/Ski out: 4.2

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 3.8

(1) There are no child care facilities at Ischgl, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowsure: 4.7

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Ischgl is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Snowmaking: 4.6

(1) Ischgl relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 4.7

(1) There are no snow groomers at Ischgl, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Ischgl are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.5

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Ischgl is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 3.7

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Ischgl, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.6

(1) Ischgl usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 4.3

(1) The staff at Ischgl are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Ischgl are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.9

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 4.3

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.8

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Variety of pistes: 4.6

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Ischgl has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Beginners: 3.9

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.7

(1) No intermediate terrain at Ischgl, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 4.4

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 4.5

(1) Not even a kicker at Ischgl, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Off-piste: 4.0

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Cross-country: 2.9

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Ischgl, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 3.7

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Ischgl has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 4.5

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 4.8

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 4.9

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 4.1

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.6

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 3.9

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 4.4

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 4.0

(1) Overall, Ischgl is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 4.3

(1) Overall, Ischgl is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

December 25, 2017
David Clark from Ski Germany Germany
Just back from our first visit to Ischgl in 24 years. The infrastructure is the best we've experienced anywhere. Fast, modern lifts everywhere, immaculate grooming, mechanized walkways to save walking through town in ski boots, and pristine lavatories all over the mountain. The town itself has moved considerably upmarket, and appears to cater to an affluent clientele of a certain age. As mentioned below, there were apres-ski bars with dirndl table dancers, but there are also coffee shops and regular bars, so each to their own. We ate well on the mountain, and in town, at considerably lower prices than comparable French resorts. We were there for the week before Christmas, so it was quiet. Maybe the frenetic apres-ski is more of an issue in high season, but it was good natured and low key during our stay. Most importantly, these are great skiing mountains where you can cover significant distances without endless traversing. We'll be back!
December 25, 2017
jc from Ski Spain Spain
My gf and I went to Ischgl a couple of years ago and what I remember clearly is not the skiing but the ton of men (mostly Dutch) walking the streets ugly drunk with no clear (nor good) direction. Some of these actually made a move on my gf on the street...pathetic, as pathetic is the authorities attitude towards this kind of behaviour: nothing done. A beautiful village spoiled by drunk guys. The skiing is just ok for Austria, pretty icy in a few areas and (what else) party hard-loud music bars on the slopes. Not worthy if you are a normal person/couple/family.
March 14, 2006
jc from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Whilst the off-piste is not as good as its near neighbour St Anton, the on-piste skiing is as good and off the slopes in the bars Ischgl is definately 5 star. The lift system is very efficient, the views great, especially on the long run down into Samnaun. Not many cosy little restaurants on the pistes though. Ischgl also is one of the most snow sure resorts around, usually open from the end of November to the beginning of May, and no glacier skiing. Only negative with the skiing is the two runs from the middle station back to the village often icy, narrow in places and full of those who would be better off getting the gondola down from the mid station.
March 08, 2012
JC from Ski Singapore Singapore
To another reviewer: Some of your points are indeed valid, Tignes and Val have fantastic skiing. I have been skiing for 30 years now since I was a kid. I learned to ski in France and went there year in year out for more than 15 years. However, I discovered Austria, and nowadays I don't bother with France for all of the reasons another reviewer mentioned. I am a fanatical skier, I am up early, I ski all day off-piste with guides wherever the snow is best, but I also enjoy a beer, I don't like cold spag Bol from rude French waiters, and I like to go out in the evening too. [note from editor: text edited for the sake of relevance]
March 08, 2012
RB from Ski United States United States
To another reviewer: you sound like a skier after my own heart. I, too, go skiing mainly for the skiing. You make excellent points about lack of challenge at Ischgl but I have to admit as I get older, it is nice to have the amenities also. An ideal area would offer both. That's where I think the Rockies have the edge over the Alps. OK, the verticals aren't quite as large there as in the Alps but the snow is better (20 meters last year in Utah) and most of the skiing is below tree line. I can't overemphasize the value of the latter. Trees give character to the slopes and offer an endless array of lines. Anyone who has skied Moran Woods or Saratoga Bowl at Jackson Hole after a big dump understands what I am saying. Also, trees provide the shadows and contrast needed to ski on cloudy or snowy days. There is nothing quite like being able to ski the trees when the falling snow fills in your tracks behind you. Snowy (or even just cloudy) days in the Alps relegate skiers to feeling their way from marker to marker down groomed pistes, or worse yet, waiting out the weather in the lodge. That's not how I want to spend my precious vacation days!
January 09, 2008
KKS from Ski France France
Dec 2007 2nd week: Ischgl off-piste skiing rocks and is now on my list of top 2 ski stations in Europe - 5 continuous days of 1-3ft consistent pow. Freshies nearly every run.....500m tree lines to carving GS turns in 2ft of powder down classic 1000m big mountain open terrain. And, though usually not a hindrance for accessing the goods, unbelievably NO hiking for our turns the whole week. Our crew of 10 hombres enjoyed the hospitality and service of the Wolf family and staff at the Olympia Hotel - what a great value (Euro70/night x 5 nights for xlnt full buffet breakfast and consistently delicious 4-course dinner; spacious, clean, well appointed rooms, 200m from tram and main village. Must take the pleasant and scenic backside piste down to Samnaun for lunch......especially charming if with a family. Great on slopes dining for all budgets. Euro15 also buys you a single entry to the must-go-to wellness spa facility at the Madelein Hotel. Can't comment on the nightlife and apres-ski, but a good time was had by all. (By the way, the other top pick of overall ski stations with heavy weighting on the off-piste skiing quality are in the Engadine Valley/St.Moritz area.) Peace, love, and powder!
February 14, 2012
Victor from Ski Estonia Estonia
@Tirolerhund, no i am not a sale rep from Val/Tignes. Just a guy who understands skiing in a different way than you. I do agree with most things you say - food, drinks, accomodation, hospitality - it is all cheaper or better in Ischgl than Val/Tignes. But once again - I go skiing for the skiing itself. Nothing else matters to me. A miserable flat in an ugly appartment block in Tignes is perfectly fine by me - I never go to hotels when I go skiing. I have my comfort at home and if I wanted to have the same during my holiday then I can just stay home. Also, I ski hard all day and then I am in bed by 10 pm and it does not make a difference to me if I am in a 4 star hotel or an ugly flat. The only skiing-related comment you make is about queues in Val/Tignes during half-term - well, the solution for me is simple - I do not go there at half-term. Maybe I am just lucky that I am not one of those people who take their holidays when 95% of Europe's population does.
February 08, 2008
JM from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
There's no two ways about it - Ischgl is just absolutely fantastically brilliant. Amazing ski area, fast and efficient lift system, no queues at all, great food and drink up the mountain (not on the Swiss side though - expensive). The apres-ski and night life, my friends... legendary, out of this world. Why anyone would ever go skiing in France is utterly beyond me - not a clue. At the end of the day, come down on the Fimba side of town and go to the Schatzi Bar - "Apres Ski mit Go-Go-Girls". It is MAD in there! Indoor fireworks, girls dancing on platforms, great tunes... Everyone has a fabulous time. In the evenings, head for Pacha. Brilliant. The bottom line is, there are no bad points. Ischgl is just about perfect, which is proven by the fact that it's virtually impossible to get a room. They must be doing something right!
April 25, 2008
Vilius from Ski Lithuania Lithuania
I were there 3 times and all of them were just cool. The story started 8 years ago, when I was only 9 years old and I was just a beginner and it was amazing. We liked this place so much that we got back here and it was maybe 4 years ago. Last time was the best and that was this year. Slopes were just amazing, it helped me to learn snowboarding easier and of course, very nice thing was it's a special place where you can learn jumping. Night life and people who go to Ischgl is also very friendly and nice. We lived near a first "bahn", strategically best place. Clubs: ammmm, when I was there, pacha wasn't working yet, but fire&ice is also good, nice girls, tasty obstler. Now it is 25th April, after two days I will go to Ischgl for another time this year. And I think that I will enjoy my trip. Last skiing week in Ischgl must be great.
April 06, 2007
Rod Grinsted from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ischgl is a hidden gem. We were there in the 1st week of April and the snow conditions were amazing, especially given that 2006/2007 has been no better than average. The lift system is very efficient with fast 4/6/8 seater chairs that get you away from the main gondola stations quickly. The apres-ski and clubbing is every bit as good as some other reviews have indicated, with the Khustall at the centre of the action from 4:00pm. One draw back is the late night noise when the clubs close. If you aren't there and want to get some sleep, make sure to take ear plugs!! Having said that, Ischgl is a great ski resort and one we will definately be returning to.