Ski France

Ski France

Chamonix Resort Reviews

Visitor reviews for Chamonix Ski Resort

Chamonix Ratings

Overall: 4.0. Based on 44 votes and 86 reviews. Vote

Access: 4.5

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Chamonix.

Public Transport: 4.1

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Chamonix, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Scenery: 4.7

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Accommodation: 4.6

(1) No places to stay in/near Chamonix, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.9

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 4.6

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Chamonix.

Ski in/Ski out: 3.2

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 3.9

(1) There are no child care facilities at Chamonix, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowsure: 4.0

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Chamonix is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Snowmaking: 3.3

(1) Chamonix relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.8

(1) There are no snow groomers at Chamonix, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Chamonix are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.3

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Chamonix is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 3.9

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Chamonix, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.0

(1) Chamonix usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 3.8

(1) The staff at Chamonix are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Chamonix are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.2

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 4.3

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.7

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Variety of pistes: 4.5

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Chamonix has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Beginners: 3.1

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.0

(1) No intermediate terrain at Chamonix, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 4.7

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 3.3

(1) Not even a kicker at Chamonix, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Off-piste: 4.8

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Cross-country: 3.7

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Chamonix, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 3.0

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Chamonix has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.4

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 4.5

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 4.4

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 4.6

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 4.5

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 4.2

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 3.6

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 3.6

(1) Overall, Chamonix is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 3.7

(1) Overall, Chamonix is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

March 18, 2008
from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Had to respond to the pretty negative comments about Chamonix. As beginner skiers, we found Chamonix a really good place to ski. The ESF ski school and the beginner slopes were fantastic (le Tours, Les Planards etc). We did not queue very long for any of the lifts, but I do agree with the comment that the European children do not have any manners on the slopes (whizz past at high speed with no consideration for the beginners) or when queuing for the lifts - they just queue jump all of the time! The ski buses were regular (albeit packed) and took people to a variety of slopes, depending of your level and where you wanted to ski. This was a free service for all guests staying in the town. Our weather was superb - snowing some days, or gorgeous sunshine up on the mountains. The pistes were in good condition throughout out stay. I did not find the prices extortionate - in fact, I thought it was going to be more expensive. We had a good lunch, with drinks for approximately £10 - £15 for 2 in the mountain cafe/bar. The town is larger than I expected, but this meant there was a good variety of restaurants, bars and shops - I liked & preferred this to a small limited village. Overall, we were very happy here, so much so, we have booked another ski holiday here in January, and will try another resort in March 09. I may not have had years of experience skiing, trying different slopes or countries, but the initial impression of Chamonix was that it created a perfect ski holiday for 2 beginners.
December 21, 2008
from Ski South Africa South Africa
I visited Chamonix for an early season break and was fortunate to benefit from the best early season snow falls for several decades. As a strong intermediate to advanced skier I found it to be a challenging and enjoyable resort. Not being a very accomplished off-piste skier (and having brought my 63mm slalom skis with me) I was not really able to take full advantage of the off-piste opportunities, but I could appreciate that they were impressive. The pistes themselves were good and pretty well groomed considering the amount of snow, but not the best I have ever seen. Grading of the pistes was definitely understated, and many of the blue slopes would pass for reds elsewhere. Also I must say that the pistes were not particularly well marked or signposted and it was not difficult to find yourself skiing down the wrong piste, or even skiing off it in low vis. Scenery was fantastic (that is, when the clouds weren't obscuring it) and I liked the town. Although not cheap (especially when paying in Rand) I didn't find it much more expensive than comparable resorts in Switzerland or even Austria. I have to agree that many of the lifts are due for upgrading, but am happy to say that there are encouraging signs. The new 3000 person/hour gondola from Chamonix to Brevent opened on my last day and should make a big difference for access to this mountain. A lot of the so-called "high-speed" chairlifts were, however, unfortunately anything but. My biggest gripe, however, is the disjointed nature of the resort and the time taken to get to the slopes using public transport. Long walks, long waits and packed buses seem to be the order of the day (especially painful if you are breaking in new boots). My summary - if you are in to wild and challenging off-piste skiing, thrive on adrenaline and are prepared to suffer some inconvenience to get it, or if you have your own transport, this is the resort for you. If you are looking for mainly on-piste skiing with easy access, convenience and nice wide open pistes, there are better resorts out there. Thumbs up to the guys at Fall-line for their excellent service in customising my new boots (highly recommended) and the girls at Hotel Cretes Blanche for looking after me.
February 14, 2011
from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
This will be our third season in Chamonix and I can honestly say the more you go there, the more you love it. I have seen some of the comments made here and they are not entirely true. Most people do not speak perfect English but they will try to speak your language. I have never had a language problem in Chamonix and once required the Police help to point me out towards the nearest garage to sort out a car problem. They were kind enough to actually drive in front of me. Food is fantastic, ski lifts are absolutely great and the slopes are perfectly maintained. I am an experienced skier but my wife and co are not. We have managed to find slopes to fit all of us, ESF (French Ski School) is great. There are lot of things to do in town especially when the local hockey team (Les Chamois) is playing. I recommend this as a great evening out (tickets are only a few Euros). Never had car problem or hear of thievery, etc.. All in all for a French holiday resort you get what you pay for and in Chamonix is definitely worth it. Hotel Alpina in the centre of the town is absolutely fantastic and their restaurant is also very good. A bit pricey but if you don't want to spend that much on food there are the little bistros where food is basic, cheap and excellent. We'll be there is three days and can't wait.
October 05, 2007
from Ski France France
I have been on many ski holidays around Europe and from my experience I find Chamonix the number one and most spectacular ski resort. It has every type of terrain with four mountains to choose from as well as the famous Augille du Midi for 26km of off-piste glacier skiing (best day skiing I have ever done). Generally, I travel on holiday on my own as my partner and friends aren’t keen on skiing and so, luckily, last year I found the perfect solution. After looking at various hotels, chalets, single holidays, etc I came across this website www.coldfusionchalets.co.uk it was just what I was looking for! The chalet was brand new, food fantastic, the cold fusion team went out of their way to make sure everyone has a good time and the other people in the chalet were great and I have made some great ski buddies for the future. Five of us plan to go back this year, all together, with the same company as it was so good! If you want to ski but have no one to go with make sure you have a look at what they offer……. www.coldfusionchalets.co.uk
March 07, 2009
from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I went to Chamonix for the skiing and wasn't disappointed. Fabulous pistes - unsurpassed views - breathtaking glaciers. We had fresh snow and blues skies. Getting between areas needs planning - but I went to Chamonix in the half-term week and although it was busy I had no problems with queues. Lifts are dated but they still get you up the mountain. I have been skiing for 30 years and can easily say one of my best weeks skiing. Not really a beginners resort, but Chamonix has plenty for improvers and the more daring skiier.
March 20, 2008
from Ski France France
Just got back form a week in Chamonix – we stayed in the village of Le Houche. I do have mixed feelings about this area. I think you must choose very carefully about coming here – you need to think about what you want from a holiday. I frequently hear that Chamonix is one of the best places in the world but it certainly wasn't for me! However, I can see that if you are a very confident expert boarder/skier you will get the most out of this resort. As a decent intermediate boarder and average skier there are dozens of resorts I would have rather spent my money in. Good points; - There is a lot of challenging terrain, off piste/ski and climbing opportunities for the very extreme people!!! - Very impressive, dramatic scenery - A choice of resorts to explore - The town of Chamonix itself, although not a bustling hub of excitement, was far and away the best out of the 5 in the valley. - Regular bus system to connect you to villages. Bad points; - Very expensive - If snow is not perfect – you are left with lots and lots of ice on some quite steep runs – not for beginners. - Very few runs down to the villages were open - Which leads to very, very long queues …. - ….on a slow old antique, rusty, lift system. - If you are not in Chamonix itself there is literally no nightlife in the other villages. - Despite a decent bus service – it is still an inconvenience and means it adds more time between you and the slopes. - Long queues up and down in Chamonix, La Praz and Argentinere owing to old slow lifts. - The pistes are un-kept which means little opportunities to let rip with some high speed carving – a lot of time was spent navigating your way through lumps and bumps. If it wasn't for the poles you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between off and on piste. - Poor selection of mountain restaurants – all very expensive with long queues again! - The walk up to the gondola Overall – if you know what you are going for (i.e some extreme off-piste skiing) and the rewards of your holiday outweigh the bad points, then I suppose it could be brilliant – it's definitely best to stay in Chamonix itself as the others offer very little to do – we stayed in a self catering chalet in Les Houches – only to find the supermarket was 2 miles away and we didn't have a car!!! It seemed like a holiday full of inconveniences – we had a mixed ability group and certainly would not recommend it for this purpose. To get the most out of Chamonix you have to ensure you are going for the right reasons and have the ability to make the positives outweigh the negatives. I can imagine that Chamonix, in the right conditions for the right person, offers a very good holiday. But definitely not for us – we won't be heading there again soon.
March 03, 2011
from Ski Brazil Brazil
In Chamonix "If you're not French, be prepared to be a second class citizen. Your money is wanted, but you will only be barely tolerated." Sadly totally true. I tried my best to speak all the French basic sentences I know to satisfy the French's snob needs to feel appreciated.... and it still doesn't work. I've been travelling around Europe during the last years and I never had problem to communicate speaking English before (and as you can see, English is not my native language). They never respect arrival order in ski lift lines. Neither supermarket line... anywhere! Well... talking about what matters: Mountains... If you don't care about the lack of direction signs, you will have a lot of fun. My favourites: Le Brevent and Grand Montes.
February 05, 2007
from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just got back from Chamonix. I was there from 27th Jan - 3rd Feb 2007. No new snow whilst we were there but just enough snow from the previous weeks fall. As a learner boarder I found the green runs sufficient to learn on before I hit the blue runs. I was concerned before I went after reading that Chamonix wasn't good for beginners, I don't understand why people say this?! Chamonix is a beautiful place with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops. Buses to the ski areas are very regular, although extremely busy! If you visit Brevent for the day, take plenty of money for food/drinks, or a packed lunch, the restaurant is very, very expensive! My favourite ski area was Flegere, as I enjoyed boarding all morning and having a late lunch with a few beers! I would definitely go back to Chamonix!
March 18, 2014
from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Spent a season in Chamonix. It is a great place but only if you love mountains; it is not a resort. There is something about it; some quality, it just has "it". I have skied in quite a few other places, but the ski mountaineering here is incredible. A car is great, yes, but of little use when your departure is miles from your exit unless you have two. The train system (and bus) is absolutely spot on. Just plan accordingly with the timetables. Or hitch a lift! The pistes are pretty poor compared to Verbier, Zermatt etc. But it isn't about that! Consider yourself warned. As for rude people etc. Utter garbage. Everyone is here to celebrate the mountains. If you want some Disney resort with service, go to North America.
December 18, 2005
from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ive been to Chamonix twice now, the first time was my very first time snowboarding and as a beginner I loved it. The runs aren't particularly easy but this means you progress much quicker, a definite bonus. There’s a massive variety of runs available if you use the free bus transfers around the valley (such as tree-lined Les Tours, a bit more relaxed than the others and the big-mountain pistes of Grand Montets) – I've always found the buses to be on time and efficient (and they’re included in the lift-pass). The off-piste is something else- be it a 10min jaunt from the top lift for something a bit different or putting in the hours to find an untracked bowl, it's just awesome. And the lifts? Same as anywhere else, when they’re busy they take longer- that’s never gonna change anywhere. Make the effort, get up early. As for the town, well it’s just that- a town not just a resort. I think this is a bonus as it has much more of a character and more amenities as well as all the big bars etc Give Chamonix a go, it’s a place that needs to be visited at least once- Im hooked. Where else can u ski or board in the shadow of Mont Blanc and get a trip up the very same mountain as part of your lift-pass? And when you’re ready, where else has the Vallee Blanche?