Visitor reviews for Borovets Ski Resort

Borovets Ratings

Overall: 3.7. Based on 106 votes and 186 reviews. Vote

Snowsure: 3.7

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Borovets is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Variety of pistes: 4.0

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Borovets has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Off-piste: 3.1

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Scenery: 4.0

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Access: 4.2

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Borovets.

Public Transport: 3.6

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Borovets, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Accommodation: 4.4

(1) No places to stay in/near Borovets, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 3.9

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 3.7

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Borovets.

Ski in/Ski out: 4.3

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 3.7

(1) There are no child care facilities at Borovets, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowmaking: 3.6

(1) Borovets relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 3.9

(1) There are no snow groomers at Borovets, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Borovets are groomed daily.

Shelter: 3.7

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Borovets is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 2.7

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Borovets, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 4.0

(1) Borovets usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 3.6

(1) The staff at Borovets are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Borovets are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.4

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 4.2

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.2

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Beginners: 4.1

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.2

(1) No intermediate terrain at Borovets, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 3.7

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 3.1

(1) Not even a kicker at Borovets, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Cross-country: 3.3

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Borovets, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 2.2

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Borovets has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 3.7

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 4.2

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 4.2

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 3.6

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.3

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 3.5

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 3.7

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 4.0

(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 4.1

(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

January 26, 2009
Jo from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just got back and stayed at the Samokov at Borovets. Think Spain 30 years ago. The hotel is clean and fresh towels are supplied daily with sheets changed once during the weeks stay. The food in the Samokov is dismal but won't be changing. They do have your money up front, so there is no need to put in the effort. We ate out most of the time and avoided the hotel evening meal (unless you can survive on a bowl of soup and a couple of bread rolls). The local restaurants are reasonable priced, we liked Katies - they put in an extra effort on my husbands birthday which was great; Chilli Peppers for a more relaxed atmosphere and PubSki for great morning coffee. Watch out in some of the restaurants as you will be charged approx £4 for chips and peas to go with your steak, also the Chinese portions are huge, you only need half the dishes you order in the UK. The Samokov ski school at Borovets is excellent (Angel was our instructor, the good looking one). We heard reports of broken kit being used by Boro Sports ski school but we didn't have any problems with the Samokov equipment. The instruction was good and our instructor (unlike other reports I have read) pointed out a restaurant for lunch but was in no way offended if you chose to eat elsewhere, in fact when at the top of the gondola he advised us that it was more expensive and would we prefer to go down the mountain for lunch. Watch out in the cafes at the top of the gondola, you will need 1 Lev to use the very basic, toilet facilities and don't expect any flush. There is a person who comes in after you to flush with a bucket of rather dirty looking water. The cafes at the top also charge approx 2 lev on top of the menu price when you get your bill. We countered this by not leaving a tip and taking our own water and sandwiches when we were going to be out all day. The locals at Borovets are friendly and will treat you as you treat them, so approach with a smile and you will be treated well. Yes, there are people outside every bar who try to get you in; it's a short season and they need to make their money. We didn't find any of them rude and just said we would be back later in the week, this worked and after a couple of days we were waving at them and partaking in jovial banter. Michael, on the nursery slope by the Bistro, is great (and loves the girls). He helps all the ladies get into the restaurant without slipping or being hit by the drag. Well, my overall view of Borovets is that I love the place. It's quaint, the skiing is good for beginners/intermediates (although a bit icy as we didn't have any snowfall when we were there) and I want to go back. Watching the weather reports and if March looks good we will be going back for another excellent week. My advise - Go there and enjoy.
December 30, 2014
Jim from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Been here since the 28th and the snow has been good. Snow canons have been blowing constantly to keep the base topped up. Pistes have been well groomed. Almost everything open apart from the odd black and the Mursala path all the way back to the resort. Very cold, -11 in the resort at midday today. Never skied in Bulgaria before but very impressed. No lift queues apart from a couple of dozen people waiting for the nursery slope button lift.
February 01, 2014
Colin from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just returned from Borovets from 4 days; I would not call it skiing. Very simple resort with little investment (lift facilities are very limited, set up is bland and there are ugly little shacks everywhere.The locals are so desperate that they all have installed a person, on the front of their establishments, who calls everybody and promises the best value, the cheapest drinks and food. Got fed up of them the first day. As the snow, at the moment, is very limited indeed, the only thing left is to drink yourself too silly. Plenty of that with cheapo alcohol everywhere. Funny, looking at previous feedback where person says skiing was limited but we drank a lot so we enjoyed it. Excuse me, if I want to go on a binge drinking holiday I choose Benidorm etc and will expect the above. If I want skiing, I expect skiing. True, the snow cover, in Bulgaria this season, is shockingly terrible so if you can cancel do it now unless you want to end up alcohol infused for the whole holiday. Only a few runs open and the forecast is not good. Will not go again. The money is irrelevant if you can't ski or there are only a few runs open. Pull a few more bobs and go where the snow is good, the runs are opened and there is less of a problem. Agreed with previous entry; you have been warned!
March 27, 2022
Kanellopoulos Michail from Ski Greece Greece
Recently I had a very bad experience at Borovets. As I was getting off the chair lift I was hit by the chair which was moving very fast. I did not have time to get away so the chair knocked me down and broke a bone in my pelvis. As the accident was not my fault I am considering of issuing the ski center. Most of the ski facilities are of old technology and outdated. The staff of the ski center do not care about their visitors. Strongly recommend it for skiing.
January 06, 2006
Lynn Salt from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have just come back from my stay at Borovets. It was o.k for a week and that is it. I wont ever go again. The Christmas gala was rubbish we stayed at the Rila. The rooms were standard, in the Lobby the waiters tried to rip you off, by putting extra money on your bill, so watch out. Before we went people told us that there were postitutes in the lobby in the Rila but we saw none. The ski school is good, instructors kind and caring. The runs are really only for beginners and advanced skiers are best going somewhere else. Cheap - we went out for a meal and it cost 190 Lev for 10 people axp. 19 Lev = £8 each and it was nice. The are a lot of beggars. Galoda was closed for 2 days. The skies that you hire are rubbish and they need a good wax.
January 06, 2006
Perri Walker from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have just come back from a week at Borovets (Over Christmas. What can I say? It was the worst hoilday ever, we stayed at the Rila. The first thing was that the Christmas Gala was Crap we had a Greek salad for starts which was nice, but then we had pork, it was really dry, the peas were so hard, if you dropped them they made a noise, the potatoes were cold. I know that the Bulgarians eat their food between hot and cold but that was taken the P###. The ski school was good, about the only thing, the instructors were nice and friendly and were supportive. The resort is good for beginners and that is it.
February 06, 2006
miro from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Went to Borovets in the last week of January. Stayed in a private villa 15 minutes away and between 2 ski areas. It was lovely. Huge private ground, stunning views, white fluff everywhere. Some of us decided to stay one day in the ski chalet and chill out, just looking at the scenery, watching some ski dvds and having plenty of drinks in our own very cool tavern downstairs. It was a good experience. The snow was just perfect. Very cold and sunny. What more do you want. We managed to ski at another small resort, Maliovitsa. The runs were good for a day. Very quite place and an absolute bargain. Lift passes there were around 3 pounds. To our suprise on the way back from Maliovitsa we tried the run in Govedarci which is fantastic. The choice of a ski chalet was a good one. We had freedom to do what we wanted. Highly recommended place with friendly people. Now looking at the weather forecast around the mountains in Europe I can say that Bulgaria is quite lucky with such good cover, even more than the French resorts like: Val Thorens, Meribel etc. Looking to fly there but maybe have to consider Bulgaria again for a second time this season.
March 07, 2007
becky from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just returned from a fantastic week in Borovets. Arrived on Saturday 24th Feb, returned 3rd March. It snowed twice in between sunshine! Stayed in RILA hotel with Neilson. A lovely hotel that caters for all tastes. Breakfast was fantastic, you name it they had it. Had heard reports of staff being miserable but no such experience. We went as a group of 5; myself and two boys aged 7-10 and two girlfriends, all in our 30-40's. Ski-school was well organised, very safety concious and the children (have skied now for 3 weeks) are confident parallel skiers. At the end of the week their instructor, Alex, had them safely coming down reds. The resort opposite the Rila has a 4 man chair and a nursery drag. The queue can sometimes be long for the drag-lift but the chair lift is no problem. If you continue to walk past the drag-lift away from the town there is another 4 man chair (very quite) which leads to a great green/blue/red and black from the top of mountain down to the resort. A short walk from RILA down through the town to the gondola opens a whole new mountain ski experience. However, the queues can be awful so a trick is to get a taxi or a horse and carriage to another 4 man chair (express) which takes you to a blue and a red and you can join the gondola at the halfway station. Bulgaria has good skiing and is excellent value for money. Can you imagine a hot wine (large) and a pancake for (7lev) £2.80? We will be returning next season. Lets hope the snow does too! Cautionary note; take currency/sterling or travellers cheques and use change (recommended by Neilson). Plus, check booths for tour company logos. They don't rip you off!
March 23, 2009
Denise O'Donnell from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have now been back home from my first snowboarding holiday in Borovets a while and I have still got the holiday blues. I loved it. My friend is an experienced snowboarder and I learnt in England, so I had expectations that where blown out of the water. Firstly the snow was amazing and all the lifts were open. I found that if you got to the Yastebets gondola early there was never a queue, so best advise, get up early. Also, you get up at the top before the rest; when I say rest I have some of the most amazing photos where I am the only one on a very groomed piste (except my friend who took the pics). We liked this side at Borovets better than the Rila side and that was only because there was a blue run that went into a green; not great for boarders but you can take the black run back down to the Rila, which I did on my first day. Wow. We stayed at The Lion and had a great time. The staff where really nice and they appreciated that we tried to speak a little Bulgarian. Our room was warm and clean and the evening meals were hot. The pub crawl was a riot. Rev bar, Chilli and Buzz Bar; bit too good. All in all, I had the best first experience ever. So much so I have been looking to go back. My friend has just got back this Sunday from another week there and again he had a fab time. I would not easily be put off and thought that skiing at Borovets was a fab holiday. Lets hope I can get back before the season is over or it's a long wait for another ride.
March 07, 2012
Gill from Ski United Kingdom United Kingdom
Had a fantastic week skiing in Borovets in the English half term holiday (11th to 19th Feb). Having been to many resorts in France & Austria I was a little apprehensive about Bulgaria after reading some reviews. However we were pleasantly surprised. We are a family of 5 with the children's ages of 8,10 & 13 with varying abilities. There was loads of snow & we were all able to ski together as there are harder & easier routes down the mountains from the tops of most lifts. We managed to go up the gondola twice & the route down is beautiful. It was closed a few times in the week due to bad weather but plenty other places to ski when it's closed. Stayed in the Hotel Samokov which was great. The food was good & lots to choose from at breakfast & evening meal. Maybe not so hot as we would eat it, something some seem to complain about but it wasn't a problem to us!!!! Lots of ther activities going on in the hotel, kids loved the sports bar with pool, table tennis & bowling & the swimming pool which was a little colder than we are used to in England but wasn't a problem to any of us. The people were mostly very friendly & very helpful. Nowhere was over crowded & no massive lift queues even though it was half term & we could actually afford to stop at a mountain cafe for a hot chocolate. France/Austrai had become too expensive to do such things. A few seedy bars around as we had been warned but easy to ignore if you wish & we stayed in the hotel at night anyway. Maybe not the place for those wanting challenging black & red runs but for us a great affordable family skiing holiday & would definitely go again.