Yad Moss Resort Reviews
6 am 19 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Yad Moss at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Yad Moss Ski Resort
January 04, 2011
roy from United Kingdom
Yad is a cool place when there's about 10 cm of fresh as the volunteers have over the years cleared the hillsides of stones etc.
The top of the runs (about 500mt) gives some good sport on a snowboard with little bumps and berms to air off.
looking down the slope and over to your right you can see a gap in the wall ....head for this and on the other side is a great v shaped valley which when loaded provides some excellent wupeeee sport on a board. Its difficult to get back to the base of the poma from here but its worth it for the sport!!
some advice on transport.... i've been a few times and the road from upper teesdale (high force ) can and does get blocked......don't attempt it without 4wd or chains (like one ****head bmw driver did and blocked the snowploughs way!!)
It's a long walk over the top so check carefully before setting out.
Ride on Roy
Yad Moss Ratings
Overall: 2.6. Based on 4 votes and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Yad Moss.
Public Transport: 1.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Yad Moss, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Yad Moss, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Yad Moss.
Ski in/Ski out: 1.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Yad Moss, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Yad Moss is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Yad Moss relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Yad Moss, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Yad Moss are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Yad Moss is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.5
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Yad Moss, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Yad Moss usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 5.0
(1) The staff at Yad Moss are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Yad Moss are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 1.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 2.2
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 2.8
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Yad Moss has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Yad Moss, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 1.8
(1) Not even a kicker at Yad Moss, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Yad Moss, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Yad Moss has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 1.2
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 1.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.2
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.7
(1) Overall, Yad Moss is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 5.0
(1) Overall, Yad Moss is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
March 09, 2010
Neige from United Kingdom
The poma button drag lift at Yad Moss is not suitable for absolute beginners because it goes very fast.
March 04, 2010
tresco gills from United Kingdom
If conditions are right Yad Moss is a nice outing. By the way: the roads from Weardale and Haltwhistle are less likely to block up than the Penrith-Alston route.
A little hint for freeriders:
Walk up to Cross Fell (just west of Yad Moss) and board down to Ousby, Kirkland or Blencarn in right conditions. An amazing route!
January 10, 2007
Dave Truscott from United Kingdom
Not the Alps or even Scotland but when the place has good snow it leaves you with a big grin on your face - riding real snow in England!!! If you want steeper terrain try Raise ski area in the lake district - but be warned - the walk up to the lift is a killer!!
February 08, 2006
Simon Richardson from United Kingdom
If the conditions are good a great little area. Excellent atmosphere with the club regulars and great hill side lodge to shelter in poor weather. Does not need much snow to get things going due to the grassy slopes. Access can be difficult due to fast blocking approach roads, so a shovel is handy.