Winter Park Resort Reviews
11 am 23 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Winter Park at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Winter Park Ski Resort
July 27, 2015
Graziela from Brazil
I went to Winter Park in March, 2014. Loved. I had 17 hours of snowboarding classes that should be group, but it was only myself and the teacher. I passed from beginner level to intermediate. I went by myself and on the day before the last I broke my arm. The doctors and all the crew were so kind and helped me with everything. I had insurance, so I did not have to spend any more money. And they gave me back 142 dollars for I could not use the resort for a day. Locals are really friendly and I made some friends over there. It is sooooo beautiful. But, the pistes are more ski like than snowboarding. And the snow..! Powder most of the days! Good amount of snow fall! Loved. Recommend.
Winter Park Ratings
Overall: 4.1. Based on 8 votes and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Winter Park.
Public Transport: 3.9
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Winter Park, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Winter Park, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.6
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.6
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Winter Park.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.4
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Winter Park, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Winter Park is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Winter Park relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.9
(1) There are no snow groomers at Winter Park, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Winter Park are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Winter Park is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Winter Park, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Winter Park usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.6
(1) The staff at Winter Park are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Winter Park are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.8
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.8
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Winter Park has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Winter Park, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.4
(1) Not even a kicker at Winter Park, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Winter Park, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Winter Park has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.6
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.6
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.2
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.4
(1) Overall, Winter Park is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.2
(1) Overall, Winter Park is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 27, 2008
John Crawford from United Kingdom
Just back from a week in Winter Park, after skiing there once before (in 2005).
In short, we had forgotten just how incredible the ski area is!
Fantastic snow conditions (the natives cannot begin to understand the concept of "ice" and refer to hard packed snow as such), no lift queues of more than 5 minutes - even on a UK half-term week/US bank holiday weekend (in fact, no queues at all, midweek) and a largely deserted ski area with challenging bump runs (endless, thigh burners, with the biggest moguls imaginable), incredible skiing in the trees (ranging from steady blues to ferocious - 50 degrees plus - blacks), 50 degree couloirs and chutes plus vertical open faces that you have to hike to. Oh, and lots of great cruising on immaculately groomed pistes in between!
Think I'm raving about it? Well, you'd be right! If you haven't been yet, and like a ski challenge, you can't go wrong with a trip to WP! I've skied several times at numerous resorts in Colorado, Utah, California, Vermont, Wyoming and Canada - and Winter Park is most definitely up there with the best of them!
Although it's a quiet village, in downtown Winter Park there's a wide choice of cheap, good quality restaurants, which suited us fine as we were too exhausted to shuffle around the streets after 9.30 pm... zzzzzzzz.
February 23, 2008
dave from United Kingdom
It sure is an amazing place. I went there for 2 weeks in January. There was 31 inches of snow during the two weeks, meaning lots of powder days. I highly recommend this place for any one who's interested. I've found some great reviews and pictures on northernpoint org.
February 23, 2008
Ad from United Kingdom
Went in Jan 2008, and it was an amazing place!!!
February 19, 2007
simon from United Kingdom
Fantastic snow guaranteed and a vast range of trails for all skiers.
Plenty of moguls!