Westendorf Resort Reviews
6 pm 08 Dec 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Westendorf at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Westendorf Ski Resort
February 09, 2014
Scott Ferguson from United Kingdom
Had a week in Westendorf from 1-8 Feb 2014 and stayed self catering at Haus Anita, just on the outskirts of town. Owners very friendly and apartment all we needed. Daughter went to Reds ski school which was excellent and challenging; definite improvement after what was her fifth week's skiing. Weather was warm so lower slopes suffering but still some good skiing high up. Bowl on the way to Ki West is top and not too busy. Did not really like the Westendorf home run (110), too busy and narrow especially in the prevailing snow conditions. Fairly quiet après-ski but make sure you get to Campbell's Bar in cellar of Hotel Jakobwirt; great little bar and a genuine warm welcome from Campbell.
Overall: 4.1. Based on 11 votes and 26 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Westendorf.
Public Transport: 4.3
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Westendorf, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Westendorf, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.1
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.7
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Westendorf.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.5
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Westendorf, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Westendorf is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Westendorf relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.9
(1) There are no snow groomers at Westendorf, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Westendorf are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Westendorf is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Westendorf, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.9
(1) Westendorf usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.4
(1) The staff at Westendorf are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Westendorf are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.9
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.8
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Westendorf has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Westendorf, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Westendorf, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Westendorf, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Westendorf has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.9
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.3
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.3
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.3
(1) Overall, Westendorf is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.5
(1) Overall, Westendorf is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 30, 2012
Taffy joe from United Kingdom
Another ski holiday is upon us and we're all wishing away the weeks until we get to click our boots into well serviced bindings and travel over the well trodden tracks and pistes of Westendorf and the Skiwelt area.
Every year I promise to go somewhere different and higher, but when it comes to booking always go back to the 'devil' we know and love.
I always fear that we are going to suffer another 2007 season when it was 'dire'. The webcams this year tell us that there is plentiful snow, but the temps, in recent weeks, are alarming to say the least!
Anyway, to all skiers heading to Westendorf, enjoy what is maybe the best sking experience in the Alps, and give Euan a visit under the gondola for the best Scotish hospitality and fillet steak in town!
Happy days to all.
February 23, 2012
June from United Kingdom
Have skied all over Europe but this is a fantastic family resort. Everyone including ourselves return year after year because everything is spot on. Thought we would give it a miss this year but can't go through with it so we booked a late flight to go 20th March!
December 05, 2011
Colin from United Kingdom
Looking forward to getting back to Westendorf, will be our fourth time, last time in 2005. Reading reports, the new connections to the main Ski-Welt have really opened things up, just hope it has not spoilt the cosy friendly feeling we always get at Westendorf. New snow cannons are reassuring as we were worried about lack of snow, we have normally been in Feb and not so early as this year ( new year). Cant wait.
December 04, 2011
John from United Kingdom
This will be our 7th or 8th visit to Westie coming up in three weeks time. Reading the reviews it seems we are not the only ones to return year after year. We generally stay over new year, not to be missed, as Matt previously mentioned. (Matt we missed you last year so will catch up in a few weeks time).
Westendorf, whilst not the perfect resort, does have a lot to offer. For a start the village is compact so little walking required. Also walk up to nursery slope is no more than 100m from most accommodation, unless you are down near the gondola station, in which case you can just use the gondola. From nursery slope you can ski across to main gondola so again no walking. Ski schools are very good. If you can get one of the more "senior" guys they really do know their stuff, even if you think you are an accomplished skier, plus they will take you to places which are not on the map.
The ski area is massive, the Westendorf area alone will occupy you for a good couple of days, then you have the Ski welt which is huge and if you really are keen you can cover the Kitzbule slopes as well. Lift passes are available to cover all combinations depending on what you want to do.
Westendorf has extensive snow making so as long as the temperature is low enough snow is almost certain. This is perhaps it's only weakness the low altitude, but there has been huge investment in snow making so not a huge problem, although quality of the snow can be an issue.
Westendorf is a good resort to learn in, nursery slopes are right in the village. Progressing from there though can be tricky. There are no real easy runs to progress to but if you do learn here then you will be a more confident skier and should be able to cope with most resorts. The red runs in Westendorf are proper reds, no tweaking to get the percentages of blues. reds and black to balance.
Anyway looking forward to getting back and skiing again, just hope the snow arrives in time. Staying in the Post Hotel, again, fantastic central location, not five star but very friendly and comfortable, so what more do you need.
March 01, 2011
alec from United Kingdom
Just back from Westendorf after 9th visit.
Fantastic weather all week, hardly a cloud in the sky, have seen the area looking better snow wise, but all the runs were still open, best snow seemed to be over in Kitzbule, but generally ok. Over with two novices this year so joined a couple of groups, first two days with sepp and the rest of the week with godi, top instructors and a good craic with the Irish contingent.
Hoping to return 19th march weather permitting, so any feedback would be great.
This year we stayed over by the gondola station, nice and quiet, and a nice walk to the nursery slope in the morning.
still a great place to ski, never tired of the place and the vast ski areas even in winters when snow is in short supply, great value for money fun resort with massive amounts of return customers year on year, try it!! You might just enjoy it!!
February 16, 2011
Joe from Ireland
Just back from Westendorf and the snow is getting very scarce. Badly need a good snowfall. Bright, sunny and very warm days, early morning skiing was ok, afternoon was very slushy and sticky. Resort was quieter than previous years.
January 23, 2011
Matt from United Kingdom
I'm now in Westendorf (23.1.11) for the week.
Skiing today superb. Very cold and sunny day. Main pistes all in good condition - not icy, fluff on the top to work with.
Looking forward to the rest of the week, and will write brief departing report on 29th.
January 22, 2011
Catherine from Ireland
Looking forward to going back to Westendorf in a few weeks for about the 15th time. Can't wait, it has the best of everything to enjoy your ski holiday. My kids are going back for the 3rd time and it can't come soon enough.
January 15, 2011
Matt from United Kingdom
This must be close to my 50th year in Westendorf. It's the most 'whole' ski experience. Great slopes to learn on, great instructors, lovely people (the Austrians are quite mad ...) and superb food.
I usually spend Christmas and New Year there, as Christmas is wonderful, followed by the nuttiest New Year celebrations I have seen anywhere.
Westendorf is off the main road on it's own plateau, so it 'traffic quiet'.
This year, I'm about to go out with my family, and can't wait.
I'd recommend Skisport Hausberger for ski-hire, Hotel Post for accomodation and Oberhauser Taxi for taxis.
Evening food: Hotel Post and the Maierhof (which is up the mountain).
Great thing to do: get up early and have breakfast in Frau. Schober's restaurant on the top of Choralpe - Westendorf's Mountain.
Motto - Skiing and Cake.