- Other resorts in Iran are reporting: powder (0) | good piste (0)
- Get e-mail snow alerts for Tochal
- Print this forecast
Visitor reviews for Tochal Ski Resort
February 28, 2013
ali from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Thank you for your weather information. I use this site every time that I want go skiing but some times your information isn't updated with location and cabin is closed for ever your information is useful and helps us, thank you very much.
Based on 46 votes. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Tochal.
Public Transport: 4.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Tochal, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Tochal, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.1
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.3
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Tochal.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Tochal, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Tochal is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Tochal relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.9
(1) There are no snow groomers at Tochal, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Tochal are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Tochal is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.6
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Tochal, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Tochal usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.8
(1) The staff at Tochal are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Tochal are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.7
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Tochal has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Tochal, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.6
(1) Not even a kicker at Tochal, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Tochal, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Tochal has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.4
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.3
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.3
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.4
(1) Overall, Tochal is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.8
(1) Overall, Tochal is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
Based on 46 votes. Vote
January 24, 2013
Mehdi B. from Sweden
Hey there to all my fellow skiers and snowboarders,
This season is my first visit to Tochal and I've to admit that I'm truly impressed with the spectacular energy and view of the piste.
First, I'll start with some general info, to get to the Tochal piste you'll have to use the cable car located in the northern part of Tehran (Velenjak). You'll have to pass 3 stations named Second Station, Fifth Station and finally Seventh Station which is where the piste is located and I've no idea why the stations are named like that, maybe it's because of the distance between each station. From First Station to Second Station takes about 7 minutes, from Second Station to Fifth Station takes about 13 minutes and from Fifth Station to Seventh Station takes about 13 minutes resulting in a total time of 33 minutes (while going up I really love enjoying the view as Tehran gets smaller and smaller).
At the piste there are a total of 2 chair lifts. One of them is for getting to the summit of Tochal (advanced) and the other one for getting to the Seventh Station (beginner, this is where you start after getting off the cable car).
As of today (Jan 2013) the price of tickets are 8$ for weekdays and 9$ for weekends and the working hours are from 8am to 3pm for weekdays and 8am to 4pm for weekends.
Pros of Tochal piste: Cheap ticket price, unique trip from the First Station to Seventh Station by cable car (one of the longest in the world), amazing view all around the piste and a hotel located down the piste at about 3500 meters which is quite a feat.
Cons of Tochal piste: A very long queue in weekends and also sometimes in weekdays, cable cars must be refurbished, no entertainment at all near the piste and there are no jump ramps, half pipe and fun box for professional skiers and snowboarders.
Overall, after considering price, location and quality, Tochal piste is a very good option, from now on each year I'll travel to Iran just to ski as much as I can and also take advantage of other perfect touristic locations over there such as Kish Island (South of Iran) for its great weather during winter and northern part of Iran for the beach (Caspian Sea).
P.S. If you are a foreigner and want to visit Iran, just forget about all the stereotype news that you get from the mainstream media about Iran, you'll be impressed with the warmness and attitude of the people over there and for sure, it'll be a trip to remember.
January 23, 2013
Mehdi B. from Sweden
I'm just translating "hosseinvaziri" comment below which is in Farsi, so here it is:
Thank you very much for all your efforts and sorry that I can't write in English. I wish the editors of this website to be successful in all parts of their lives.
June 25, 2012
hosseinvaziri from Iran, Islamic Republic of
خیلی متشکرم از زحماتی که می کشید البته عذر می خوام که نمی تونم به انگلیسی بنویسم
امیدوام که تمام دست اندرکاران در تمام مراحل زندگیشان موفق باشند
[note from the editor: we need an English translation of this review please]
November 13, 2011
Narges from Iran, Islamic Republic of
When I first started skiing, Tochal was one of my favorites, as it is still now.
40 minutes travelling with cabin is like watching dead rising from grave, because of getting closer and closer to the highest part of the mountain, it's more like being free and feeling alive.
This resort is suitable for beginners while Dizin covers variety of professional levels. Tochal is close to the city (Tehran) and anywhere you are it only takes max 30 minutes to get there. Skiing in Tochal is more like sailing on snow while the horizon is exactly in front of the eye.
November 04, 2011
Bozorgzadegan A. from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Fekri aajel baraye forooshe belite Tochal bayad kard va oono az in vaze mahdoodo na besaman nejat dad!!!
Az nime shab zende dari ha dar saf haye toolani kaasto alaghemandan ra sare hal tar be pist ferestad!
Va in amalist ba forooshe belit dar shahr, jai chon matbooati ha va gheyrou, niz electronic kardane bakhshi az ann,va tahiyehe internetiye on-line.
Forooshe fasli ba takhfife vijeh.
Forooshe zaribi ya bish az yeki bedoone taarikh, va nazaere ann.
Be omide hale in sadeh, tavasote modiriyate mohtarame mojarab.
***Sorry, above has written in Farsi (fenglish) for the management of Tochal, to improve their ticket selling policies. so that, the skiers do not be obliged to stand in long raws from mid-night ! to be able to buy concern tickets at 8:00-8:30 Am! and finally carry themselves to the pist, as an exhausted one !?
November 03, 2011
Sara from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Tochal is one the most amazing resorts, not only because of its spectacular view, but also for its wild weather conditions.
One day it's sunny and the other day you will struggle with snow storm.
I personally believe that skiing in Tochal is just experiencing one amazing day tight to the nature, close to sky up on the 5th highest slope in the world. It's definitely not just skiing.
November 01, 2011
r.khodaverdi from Iran, Islamic Republic of
There are many things in the world that ruin our environment such as littering, cars/vehicles, the cutting down of trees, not recycling and too much garbage. But the main point is that we human are destroying the world. You can see a lot of plastics bottles and other not recycling garbage on all of the tracks that lead to Tochal Mountain that are thrown away by mountain climbers and skiers. We must protect Tochal environment by removing any garbage and do it as well. If your friends and family don't do this duty you must remind them.
April 15, 2011
ALVARO from Venezuela
I live and work in Teheran from 2009. Teheran is a very modern and interesting city in the world. I think that it is one of the most spectacular place for climbing, hiking and skiing in the Dizin, Hamedan and Tochal pistes, respectively. Personally, I think that those pistes are good as the European or American ones. Furthermore, I consider that Iran should be proposed to organize some winter's game or some contest in future time.
April 01, 2011
Mohammad from Afghanistan
I live and work in Iran, Tehran. It is a blessing to have this great mountain within walking distance of some neighbourhoods in Tehran. I climb every Thursday. Life is different with mountaineering.
March 18, 2011
Bozorgzadegan Amir from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Tochal peak 3900 plus, snow fully covered and bright sunny, is seen clearly north side, with it's gondola carrying nature and ski lovers to G-7 nearest ski resort to Tehran.
Passing a memorable exciting day far from traffic and pollution of Tehran, and twinkle to those like me who are remained back...
...Watching through windows, turning right a little, see the Damavand peak the great, 5671m. which is looking to whole Tehran and suburbs. to invite, meeting him/her during coming nowrooz holidays in touch.
One would say, there is a competition between Damavand peak and Sun, now in the morning of Tehran.
Showing their magnificence and dignity to surprised inhabitants.
March 18, 2011 ( 1389/12/27 ).
March 11, 2011
Bozorgzadegan Amir from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Why don't we execute the related plans for Tochal ski resorts on its north side, toward the Shahrestanak and Shekarab?
The plans which changes the face of area completely and make Iran different in winter sports facilities and possibilities and will candidate more, for world races and more nations healthness and happiness!
This resort will be unique in Iran, regarding the altitude, capital distance, accommodation, after ski possibilities in Tehran, and number of users, somehow.
Plus off-season skiing from mid November to late June!
Free from road avalanches and transportation time and cost loosing...
We are spending in different fields simply, why we can not invest for this purpose for ourselves and inside the country?
September 13, 2010
Kamran from United States
Tochal ski resort is the 5th highest ski resort in the world. The base is 3545m high and the top of the resort is 3850m high. The ski season usually starts with the first storm which is normally in late October or early November. The resort is open 'till the first day of summer (June 22nd). The resort has two chairlifts and one drag lift.
Tochal hotel at the base of the resort is a fancy one with 30 rooms and suites. To get to the resort you need to go to the end of the Velenjak Ave. in Northern Tehran, and ride the Tochal gondola (telecabin). Tochal gondola was the longest gondola in the world (7.5km) when it was built in 1978. It takes about 45 minutes to go from the first station (1600m) to the 7th station (3730m). There is another ski resort at the 5th station (2950m). You can ski from the 7th station to the 5th.
Tochal ski resort is very crowded in early fall when other ski resorts around Tehran are not open. However, as soon as other resorts such as Dizin and Shemshak open, Tochal will not be that crowded.
January 11, 2010
faridg from Iran, Islamic Republic of
I think Tochal is a good place for beginners. It also has easy access to the city.
Sundays and Mondays you can't get in the cable car.
On holidays, tickets are 20$ for each person, other days - 18$.
Ski time: 8am to 2,2:30 pm.
Parking fee 3$.
But I suggest if you want to have ski there at Tochal, it's better to reserve room in hotel because most expensive room in Touchal hotel for one 2dayz and 1night is 140$ for 4persons (it's included cable car fee). Also there is double king room - 61$!.
With taking hotel tickets you get in the cable car first of ppl - some days it's so crowded and you will not waste your time.
So I prefer to stay at hotel for 2days ski time and spend a good night in hotel.
January 06, 2010
pejman from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Tochal is the best place for the beginners.
Two slopes: 900-1200 meter long and vary safe and easy with 2 chair lifts.
Almost open for 7-8 month .
Easy access from Tehran.
Coldest of all the other slopes.
Long, long line to get or get out of cable car.
Some times it take 2-3 hours to just get back.
Tickets : 22$ weekends, 18$ weekdays.
November 26, 2009
farhad from Iran, Islamic Republic of
To be honest, as Tochal resort is very small, on holidays it is over crowded and you must spend hours to get into telecabin, besides when the wind is more than 10 kms/hr it will not work, so you must take the risk of being hanged in air for hours.
Hotel rooms are nice but in suites at nights you must smoke gasoline odour because of leakage in air-conditioners.
November 22, 2009
soheil kian from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Hi, Tochal has very good piste for snow boarding but it is very cold in the winter season.
April 03, 2009
BJT from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Tochal is great. I have so many impressions in my life on Tochal. I have gone to Tochal 2 days in week. These days on Mondays ski piste is closed. Its telecabin is too cheap and the ski piste at Tochal is the highest piste in the world.
January 11, 2009
Farshid from Canada
Tochal is the best resort for beginners. Everything is cheap; even I can afford it. It's completely reasonable to me to buy a round ticket from Montreal to Tehran. Here you can use cable cars and lifters just for $15, but I should mention that nowhere could be compared with Dizin.
November 02, 2008
payman from Iran, Islamic Republic of
The greatest piste in Iran is Dizin.
There are other pistes in other cities , like Hamedan , Arak...
but near Tehran the best is that there`s snow in 8 month of the year. and you can see a great snow in the piste.
There sometimes is a little bit crowded , and some time the lifters are out of order , and it disturbs...
but with these all , there so much fun and beautiful nature.
August 23, 2008
Coetzee from South Africa
The lift near Tajrish is the lift at Darband. You should take the lifts at Velenjak to get to Tochal. Velenjak is further west than Darband.
November 28, 2007
آرشَ from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Heaven in hell !
January 10, 2006
Nazim from Malaysia
I think your map is off (ed - will fix that). We took a taxi from the centre of Tehran to try to get to Tochal. It's in a park on the north of the city near Tajrish. Sadly, the lifts weren't running that day and a sign at the bottom said skiing is only open from Monday to Wednesday.
January 06, 2006
ali.b from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Tochal is a great place to find snow in off season and is located just North of Tehran. Driving to the lifts are easy and somewhat less dangerous than driving to the other resorts (avalanche, bad drivers, etc...) The pistes are generally easy and great for snowboarders. One of the newer chair lifts seems to be a little rough and fast.
April 20, 2004
N. from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Lovely TOCHAL:The nearest,highest alt.&
the cheapest ski resorts arround TEHRAN
capital of IRAN.just about 40 min.from base station in tehran city,s north.
it costs us$ 5.00 only for one day using concern lifts& transportation
cabins from base to 3960 m.high...
there is a reasonable islamic hotle too
just for tired skiers to rest for next
days ski!ski, & ski...when the weather
is clean you,ll have a panavision scenery:Damavand peak at east,Salt lake
hose-soltan,at south and other valeys&
peaks at north and west.
hurry & try it specially during off-
April 20, 2004
A. from Iran, Islamic Republic of
Tochal is one of the popular peaks in iran,& 5th. toppest ski lifts in the world after 4 ones in ande & himalya
ranges.it,s very good ski resort for
off-season ,in my country.last year I
did ski up to june-20-2003!so that it was usable 4 two weeks more!!!...
April 11, 2004
A from Denmark
Tochal and Damavand are in the heart of all Iranians, especially those who live(ed) in Tehran. These two unique mysterious powerfull and beautiful mountains always help you to lift your moral and clean your sprit. They are the source of energy for all Iranians.