Thollon les Mémises Resort Reviews
12 am 10 Dec 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Thollon les Memises at m altitude issued:
Thollon les Mémises
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Thollon les Mémises Ski Resort
February 01, 2015
Marie-Kate Malone from United Kingdom
What a wonderful village. We have just returned from 1 week's ski holiday in this gorgeous resort. Very family friendly, the restaurants and bars are super but the views are just simply stunning. We have skied all over Europe, over the last 35 years, but have never skied in such glorious scenery; views over Lake Geneva across the Swiss mountains are stunning.
Highly recommended on every level.
Thollon les Mémises Ratings
Overall: 4.0. Based on 22 votes and 20 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Thollon les Mémises.
Public Transport: 3.6
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Thollon les Mémises, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Thollon les Mémises, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.3
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Thollon les Mémises.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.6
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Thollon les Mémises, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Thollon les Mémises is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Thollon les Mémises relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.6
(1) There are no snow groomers at Thollon les Mémises, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Thollon les Mémises are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Thollon les Mémises is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Thollon les Mémises, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.1
(1) Thollon les Mémises usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.7
(1) The staff at Thollon les Mémises are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Thollon les Mémises are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.5
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.9
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Thollon les Mémises has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Thollon les Mémises, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.8
(1) Not even a kicker at Thollon les Mémises, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Thollon les Mémises, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Thollon les Mémises has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.3
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.1
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.3
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.4
(1) Overall, Thollon les Mémises is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.4
(1) Overall, Thollon les Mémises is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 30, 2015
Elizabeth from United Kingdom
The new gondola, installed during 2014, speeds you to the ski area and along with more snow making machines and the 4-person chair lift installed 2013 there is more life in the village. The hotel and restaurants are very good and the travel distance from Geneva make it an easy resort to get to. The views over Lac Leman and the Swiss mountains, on a good day, are breathtaking. A wonderful resort for children. The Tourist Office have done wonders in providing opportunities for those who don't want to ski. The cinema often shows films with English subtitles.
A wonderful place to come in the summer too.
We have just started our 10th season here, of approx 10 weeks duration. We can always go to other resorts nearby when we wish.
December 26, 2013
Sheila from United Kingdom
We will visit Thollon for the first time this Saturday. If we like it we will consider buying an apartment. Would be good to have a look at yours whilst there. Can you suggest the way to organise viewing.
[note from the editor: this post will remain for a limited period of time. I do hope you get a response.]
December 04, 2013
Alan Berry from United Kingdom
We have had an apartment in this lovely summer and winter resort for 15 years. Great place with loads of other resorts so close by that we usually ski days in other resorts as well; so easy to get from Geneva. Love the summer as well.
Children now grown up so selling our 2 bedroomed apartment.
If your interested let us know.
November 29, 2013
Ron Goldie from United Kingdom
We absolutely love Thollon! A brilliant small family resort with a good snow record ( largely North facing slopes) and amazing views over Lake Geneva. The four man chair (installed for the 2012/13 season) means queues are a thing of the past and the new 10 place telecabine (opening 21 December for the 3013/14 season) promises to provide rapid and reliable access to the slopes. And perhaps, as a sign of the locals' confidence for the future, as well as the investment in the lift system, there is a new bar and also a new restaurant opening in the village for the 2013/14 season.
February 03, 2013
Stuart from United Kingdom
Thollon is a great place to ski. We have been skiing here for several years, with views of Lac Leman and the Jura mountains on a clear day that are unrivalled. The investment in a new lift has improved the resort greatly with further investment still to come. Being only a smallish resort, if you ski it all and want to go further afield, there are other resorts within 10 mins (Bernex) or 30mins (La Chapelle, which opens up the Portes du Soleil area).
It is a great place to base yourself for a ski holiday.
October 23, 2011
Eileen leech from United Kingdom
As with all the previous reviews, my family and I love Thollon (Thollon les Mémises) and have been skiing there for 8 years. We have also been to this delightful village in summer and love the lake for swimming and waterskiing ! Bliss
The good news is the village will receive a huge investment in 2012 as the lift system is being replaced, which is superb news for the whole area. We have never encountered problems with the lifts etc like the previous reviewer, however, we look forward to a new system, as it means we can reach the pistes more quickly and savour the glorious view.
March 10, 2011
Snow Man from France
Thollon (Thollon les Mémises) is a great place and has served us well for many years. However, be warned the lift system is now creaking with age and frequently breaks down.
Often the queues for the telecabine become long (half hour wait time) and for the telesiege also and when the telecabine break, the beginners must ski down a long red piste to get back to the village.
Good skiing and beautifully maintained pistes but the lifts need serious investment.
March 07, 2011
Paul Lamberth from United Kingdom
I was in Thollon (Thollon les Mémises) with my family, at half-term and was very lucky with the snow. The Western Alps have been badly hit this winter but a few snowfalls managed to keep 70% of the resort open and bizarrely, there was some good off-piste from the top
I'd agree with the other contributors in that if you're a expert skier, Thollon is a weekend resort but it is a wonderful family resort and we found the mountain teams, ski shop and restaurant staff knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.
Being half-term, the ESF Ski School was very busy and, to be honest, I'm not sure that my 8 year old daughter progressed during the week as the classes were so big (this was her 3rd ski holiday), but we loved the village and will go back.
September 20, 2010
Dennis Green from United Kingdom
All the previous reviews are to be commended for balance and honesty. Thollon (Thollon les Mémises) is a fantastic place. I've been coming here for 20 years and never tire of the views or the sking. In recent years the facilities for beginners have improved and the new run down the front means you can ski straight back to the village. There are 2 excellent hotel restaurants: Belle Vue and my favourite, the Bon Sejour. Family run, the atmosphere and service are from another era. Many independent skiers use Thollon as a base. Skiing a few days there before heading off to Avoriaz, Les Gets etc. About an hour away. Good for children. For many of the local people it's where they learned to ski as kids.