Stara Planina/Babin Zub Resort Reviews
2 pm 20 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Stara Planina-Babin Zub at m altitude issued:
Stara Planina/Babin Zub
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Stara Planina/Babin Zub Ski Resort
February 26, 2017
Aleksandar Mojic from Serbia
Great place if you are looking for recreational vacation or just to relax and forget about the city life; never overcrowded, cheap accommodation and ski passes.
No waiting in line on the ski lifts, beautiful nature and great traditional food.
We offer beautiful accommodation: Shoom Mountain Lodge right next to the river whose song can rid you of muscle knots in the back, make you relax and enjoy the enchanting beauty of the landscape. The mountain air is clean, firm mountain is under your feet, the vast, deep, immense sky is above your head…
There are 10 apartments and 2 separate studios in the lodge. Each apartment has bedrooms and a living room, as well as a bathroom with floor heating, which is a source of joy for tired feet that spent countless hours skiing. For socializing and sharing stories from the piste, the Shoom Mountain Lodge has a large, separate lounge, where guests can feel perfectly warm and cosy while it’s snowing outside watching movie projections on the huge screen or listening great tunes on vinyl.
So, if you want to visit places that inspire, relax and stay in your memory, the Old Mountain Serbia will give you that inspiration and a sense of wonder at the splendor of wild nature, while the Shoom Mountain Lodge will take care of the relaxation and creating fond memories.
Welcome to the Mountain Lodge Shoom! :)
Stara Planina/Babin Zub Ratings
Overall: 3.6. Based on 18 votes and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Stara Planina/Babin Zub.
Public Transport: 2.6
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Stara Planina/Babin Zub, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Stara Planina/Babin Zub, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.1
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.6
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Stara Planina/Babin Zub.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.9
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Stara Planina/Babin Zub, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Stara Planina/Babin Zub is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Stara Planina/Babin Zub relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.6
(1) There are no snow groomers at Stara Planina/Babin Zub, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Stara Planina/Babin Zub are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Stara Planina/Babin Zub is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.6
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Stara Planina/Babin Zub, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.1
(1) Stara Planina/Babin Zub usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.7
(1) The staff at Stara Planina/Babin Zub are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Stara Planina/Babin Zub are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.9
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.1
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.2
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Stara Planina/Babin Zub has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Stara Planina/Babin Zub, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.1
(1) Not even a kicker at Stara Planina/Babin Zub, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Stara Planina/Babin Zub, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Stara Planina/Babin Zub has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.9
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.8
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.4
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.5
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.3
(1) Overall, Stara Planina/Babin Zub is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.6
(1) Overall, Stara Planina/Babin Zub is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
November 22, 2016
Ollie from United Kingdom
Great resort, great culture, I'll be back!
It's a shame that there's not more accommodation near the lifts. We stayed in a place in Crni yrh which was awesome and our English guide drove us up to the lifts each morning & back each evening which took 10-15 mins each way.
The pistes were well groomed and catered for all abilities from steep black to wide blue, lifts looked spanking new & it's nice to have a gondola on those cold, breezy days. Never queued for a lift, unlike in Bulgaria! 13km of pistes was plenty for us and for the price it was better than we expected. The locals rock! Ski staff and instructors were all so friendly; a pleasant change from France! Nightlife was limited but can recommend Sum for chilling watching ski movies from the hammocks on their bar!
February 22, 2016
BJ from United Kingdom
I had a great time here skiing for 7 days. A group of us travelled with an English guide who'd arranged all of our travel, accommodation etc which was a good job as not many of the cheaper apartment owners etc spoke much/ any English and there didn't seem to be any daily taxis/ shuttles to transfer from the accommodation to the lifts. We were on a budget trip and it did not disappoint, the snow was great the off-piste was nice, the slopes varied with something for everyone but not a great many of them so if you want to ski a new piste each day this is not for you. If you want great snow with no queues for lifts this place is the best!