St Johann-Alpendorf Resort Reviews
1 pm 26 Sep 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for St Johann-Alpendorf at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for St Johann-Alpendorf Ski Resort
March 25, 2015
Paul Kent from United Kingdom
A smashing place for a school trip or adult ski group. Great lifts, uncrowded pistes when away from the instruction runs & British school holidays. We have had great snow conditions for a decade. The top hotels offer super food. Alpendorf is a great value resort with an amazing lift system & Snowpark.
They invest well & this resort improves every year. Hotels are available for all budgets & cater for the student skier or the all expenses paid business group.
Nightlife is what your party makes of it. Of course, the Austrians are friendly & great fun. Enjoy!
St Johann-Alpendorf Ratings
Overall: 4.4. Based on 9 votes and 15 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of St Johann-Alpendorf.
Public Transport: 4.9
(1) There are no buses or taxis to St Johann-Alpendorf, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near St Johann-Alpendorf, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.8
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in St Johann-Alpendorf.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.4
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at St Johann-Alpendorf, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) St Johann-Alpendorf is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) St Johann-Alpendorf relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.6
(1) There are no snow groomers at St Johann-Alpendorf, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at St Johann-Alpendorf are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) St Johann-Alpendorf is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at St Johann-Alpendorf, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.3
(1) St Johann-Alpendorf usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.4
(1) The staff at St Johann-Alpendorf are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at St Johann-Alpendorf are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 5.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.7
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) St Johann-Alpendorf has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at St Johann-Alpendorf, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.5
(1) Not even a kicker at St Johann-Alpendorf, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around St Johann-Alpendorf, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) St Johann-Alpendorf has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.6
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.6
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.7
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.8
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.8
(1) Overall, St Johann-Alpendorf is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.9
(1) Overall, St Johann-Alpendorf is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 21, 2013
Daniel Bustamante from Spain
Very nice place. I was here for 10 days; great off-piste and tree riding! However, very, very crowded! A lot of beginners and incredible waiting lines. In some areas practically impossible to ride. If you are an advanced skier or boarder, maybe you should think about somewhere else. Great for kids, grandpa and grandma.
January 16, 2012
Blair Scott from Austria
I have been in Alpendorf for a number of years now in association with Snowslippers, and it has yet to disappoint. There is terrain for everyone if you know where to look.
There are plenty of pistes which offer blue to black levels of difficulty. If you are interested in off-piste, then the trees and the Stegbach lift are challenging and fun.
The Better Park is available to those of a freestyle disposition, but not so challenging for beginners to feel intimidated.
All in all, with the right guides/instructors, you can have a great time over a weeks trip.
February 15, 2011
Ash from United Kingdom
I have been to Alpendorf three times, and I'm actually going back again next week. I love this place so much, it has become so familiar. I stay with Siegi Tours, an excellent company (so type them into google if you want to go here). You stay in St Veit, just a few minutes drive from Alpendorf.
The ski conditions have always been fantastic. I even went in April once, and while it was so hot you could ski in your t-shirt, the snow was absolutely perfect. This place is a must-go.
February 02, 2011
Neil O'Boyle from United Kingdom
First went to Alpendorf (St Johann-Alpendorf) about 1995 and been back lots of times (about 8). We ski as a family every year and this is a favourite haunt over the years - so many memories of great skiing, sunny lunchtimes and wonderful hosts and great 'after-ski'. After going to Solden, Flachau, Galtur and Zell um Zee we are going back in a few weeks. The Sonhof Hotel and Oberstorthof Hotels (same family) are fabulous - you are really looked after and a night at the Alm (have the Partytime - silly not to!) is not to be missed. There used to be a Kaggelbahn (type of skittles) beside the Pizzaria not sure if it's still there. One year our group went by coach to a nearby village to play their curling team - again wonderful hosts - they hammered us but gave us medals!
January 21, 2011
Alexandros from Cyprus
I ski every year in different places and countries but the last five years one of my ski trips every year is in Alpendorf (St Johann-Alpendorf). We stay in Sonnhof hotel, at the bottom of the slope next to the chairlift and is very convenient. The hotel is very nice with perfect location, great personnel and very nice and big spa. The slopes are not very crowded and we have a good choice for different kind of skiers.
May 05, 2009
Pete from United Kingdom
We just spent the Easter week skiing here. We stayed at Alpendorfhaus; it is perfectly located being very close to the slopes and has great views down into the town of Sankt Johann. The apartment was comfortable, modern and clean and had everything we needed. Skiing was fantastic and the ski pass covered a huge area. We found some charming mountain restaurants and the modern lift systems at St Johann-Alpendorf were a joy (never been on heated chairs before). The ski school was great for the kids and kept them entertained (and us free to ski). Booking our trip was straightforward and James was very helpful before and during our visit. Nice place - we would recommend this to anyone. Our first time here but we will be back next year for sure.
February 25, 2008
Deno from United Kingdom
Fantastic place, so many resorts within a short drive or free bus ride away. Good variety of runs. Super mountain restaurants that offer good food and are clean and well priced. Modern lift systems that are efficient. The whole area is a dream come true, I have skied there many times and keep going back! Give it a try.... you won't regret it.
February 07, 2008
Margaret from Ireland
It's absolutely brill. I love it and am going back next week for the third time! I can't wait!! Snow is great and the people are lovely! It's so pretty and everyone has soooo much fun there. Best family holiday ever!
March 13, 2006
keir from United Kingdom
Have skied this resort(Alpendorf)and Flachau - St johann was smaller,nicer and pistes better prepared. A must for anyone who wants a relaxing charming ski resort.