Soriska Planina Resort Reviews
7 am 23 Oct 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Soriska Planina at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Soriska Planina Ski Resort
March 02, 2014
Rob Davies from United Kingdom
We visited Soriska Planina on the first Sunday in March 2014 at the tail of the Slovenian School holidays. The idea was to avoid inevitable weekend crowds at Vogel and to go somewhere a bit less exposed to the unsettled weather.
As reported, the resort was very quiet/low key and although some lifts were closed (notably the chair) this did not really affect access and there were no queues.
Although I am only interested in backcountry snowboarding I could see that the ski area would be a good place for learners to gain confidence as long as they are already able to ride button lifts.
Off-piste, I fully agree with the other reviewer who wrote that there is more than you would guess from the resort map. There are some nice short wooded strips within the lift-accessed area but these are quickly tracked out. The real interest is out wide of the ski area, away from the lifts.
To access this, from the summit ridge, ski down the ridge in either direction and then hike up to adjacent summits. It's easy going, takes about 20 minutes as long as someone else has already cut a track. The views are excellent.
Dropping off either summit and back into the resort basin you access some very nice off-piste that is up to about 45 degrees and quite featured. It's extensive in relation to skier traffic, so would not be tracked out too quickly. The forest density is very variable and some routes down are wide treeless glades whereas others are steep and heavily forested and very challenging. All in all, a very worthwhile alternative to Vogel, especially when the top of Vogel is foggy and/or windy. Fairly low altitude at Soriska Planina, so beware of heavy and sticky snow conditions in mild weather.
There are three pretty basic places to get a snack and a drink, and like the lift passes, prices were very reasonable.
Soriska Planina Ratings
Overall: 3.8. Based on 4 votes and 3 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Soriska Planina.
Public Transport: 2.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Soriska Planina, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Soriska Planina, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.5
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.7
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Soriska Planina.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.8
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Soriska Planina, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Soriska Planina is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Soriska Planina relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Soriska Planina, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Soriska Planina are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Soriska Planina is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Soriska Planina, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Soriska Planina usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.8
(1) The staff at Soriska Planina are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Soriska Planina are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.8
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.5
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Soriska Planina has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Soriska Planina, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Soriska Planina, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Soriska Planina, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Soriska Planina has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.3
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.8
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Soriska Planina is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.3
(1) Overall, Soriska Planina is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
November 30, 2008
Ckive Judge from Slovenia
Soriska Planina is a great family resort suitable for all levels. Wonderful place to learn with no big crowds. Soriska Planina is a good place to gain confidence. Soriska Planina has cheap ski passes and food/drinks. Very natural location with fantastic views.
April 08, 2008
tony croxley from United Kingdom
Visited March 08. More fun than the piste map and km of pisted runs would suggest. Great views. Good for families and kids (although runs best suited to improvers and intermediates) and, above all, cheap! Fair amount of off-piste potential off both sides of the pisted bowl to keep up interest.