Snow-Forecast logoSnow mountain photo

Ski Santa Fe Resort Reviews

Visitor reviews for Ski Santa Fe Ski Resort

• January 26, 2010
    Chris F from United States

I've skied Ski Santa Fe for several years now and it was my local ski mountain during my 3 years living in Santa Fe back in the early-90's.

The area is mid-sized at 660 acres but has a decent mix of terrain for the size. Most is geared towards beginners & intermediate skiers with some advance & slightly less expert terrain. It is actually a great little mountain to improve your intermediate skills. Thunderbird was a favorite of mine to learn bump skiing as it slowly gets steeper from top to bottom. The groomers do a good job with many of the main trails kept in good condition.

Weather is usually great but the area gets packed on holidays, especially President's Day weekend. NM snow is great when you get it - nice & light just like CO & UT.

Lift improvements over the past few years have made access at Ski Santa Fe much better (upgrade of the Millenium Triple, removal of the Poma, replacement of the beginner tow lift with a magic carpet for beginners, & a load conveyor on the high speed quad). Ticket prices are OK for what you get ($60 adult, $40 kids all day) & the ski school is very good. On-mountain dining is limited to 2 locations, both of which are jam packed at lunchtime. My family usually packs a lunch to save money but seating is still limited.

For out of towners, lodging is in Santa Fe, which is more geared towards adults than kids, so you'll have to drive up to the ski area from town (about 20min to 30min). If you want a ski resort destination for a multi-day trip in the region, you'll be happier with Taos (NM), Durango (SW CO) or Telluride (SW CO).

Ski Santa Fe is a great little mountain for locals & for a day trip diversion for families staying in Santa Fe. Unfortunately, it doesn't have enough terrain to hold up as a ski destination for multi-day trips.

• Ski Santa Fe Ratings

Based on 1 vote. Vote

• March 07, 2009
    Mark from United States

Skied Santa Fe (Ski Santa Fe) serveral times this year and the snow has been holding up remarkably well. First time it was icy hardpack was last Saturday, the last day of Feb. I telemark and focus on the trees and bumps and the options this year seem better than other years; more glades in more places. To me this mountain is all about the trees, but that is just what I like. Sure the lifts are slow for those who are used to high speed detachable lifts - but afterall that just means more people are on the runs and less in the lift lines in those busy resorts. Realize that crowds in Santa Fe (Ski Santa Fe) or Taos are not measured by the 10s of thousands but by the hundreds. Finally the thing about Santa Fe is if you know the mountain (in the trees) you can always find some interesting terrain and snow, although right now we are due some & up there, it is falling lightly tonight.

• February 28, 2008
    l. cassidy from United States

The lift staff were rude and busy chatting amongst themselves. One cursed out a child who was loading, who they should have assisted. A snowboarder crossed my skis from behind and as he fell into a mess it was clear that he was drunk. There doesn't seem to be a general sense of the fact that the downhill skiers have the right of way, as several times I heard uphill skiers/boarders yell "lookout" to those below them. I saw at least 6 big crashes involving 2 or more people.
    There are a decent number of beginner runs, but for a more experienced skier, not so many choices. I feel that a number of the runs marked black should really be called blue, as they were not at all steep, had no moguls, and no obstacles.
    I think Angel Fire is much better for families with young boarders, and Taos for expert skiers. In southern Colorado, Durango and Crested Butte seem to cover both these bases better as well (Durango being more challenging, in my opinion).

• January 14, 2008
    Jake from United States

Went Saturday January 12th, 2008. Snow was OK, not great. We skied pretty much the whole mountain (mostly blacks) with the exception of the VERY rocky glades. Lines weren't bad, but my god, the lifts are SLOW. Do not go here if you except anything similar to a Colorado experience. This was my 3rd trip (other 2 to CO) this season and we probably spent 2.5 hours of the 6 riding lifts. They are slow, and constantly stopping because people do not know how to use one properly. NONE of the staff ever said a word to me getting on or off, nor was there one standing at the exit of the lift if someone were to fall, which is trademark of CO resorts. Price is right , but it was not worth the 5 hour drive each way, as we skied the whole mountain easily. The skill level of the skiers is POOR for the most part, I saw one ~40mph collision between a skier and boarder, and I was hit by a young girl "pizza-ing" down the whole mountain who yelled " I cant stop" as she was hitting me.