Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla Ski Resort
December 30, 2011
Antonio from Portugal
Very good treatment when you have any health problem.
Very good teachers in the ski school at La Covatilla.
Recommended for those who came to have a nice time.
Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla Ratings
Overall: 3.0. Based on 13 votes and 25 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla.
Public Transport: 2.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.8
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla.
Ski in/Ski out: 2.4
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.3
(1) There are no snow groomers at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.3
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.5
(1) Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.3
(1) The staff at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.5
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.5
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 2.9
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.1
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.3
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.1
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.9
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.8
(1) Overall, Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.9
(1) Overall, Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 22, 2011
Pate from Portugal
Bejar (Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla)- perfect for a weekend! Nice to ski more than 1 week for year.
I discovered it this year and now I can go once a month skiing.
It's about 4hrs from Lisbon.
January 30, 2010
mark from Spain
Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla is a complete rip off at 35 Euro for a lift pass. Only 1 lift to take you to the top of the mountain trails which are badly laid out. Also, the wait times are between 30-45 minutes. I would definitly not go back.
December 04, 2009
Jonny from Portugal
I didn't like Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla resort very much. It takes about 1 minute to ride the slopes and about 30 to 45 minutes to go up the mountain because there is only one ski lift mechanism in the resort. This reminds me of the aqua parks in the Algarve: 1- inute descent and 30 minutes of waiting.
Sierra de Béjar-La Covatilla resort itself has no natural interest at all.
Alternatives? Some, Manzaneda, San Isidro, but they are all resorts in the north of Spain.
October 29, 2008
Walter from Argentina
Small resort, perfect for beginers, good prices and polite staff. If you have to rent skis, Freerider offers great service, good prices and tuned equipment. The shop is next to the main road in a small village called La Hoya, on your way up to the resort. Candelario is a beatiful place to sleep.
February 05, 2008
Orzowey from Spain
Too expensive, too much ice. No snow always. Sometimes too windy (often...) It´s only a dry place without trees, bad for snowboarders. Be careful with the road, driving the downhill is terrible sometimes. You can sleep in a restaurant...and it´s very cold.
March 24, 2006
António Mesquita from Portugal
A really good alternative to Serra da Estrela, specially for the prices and the quality of the infrastructures.
People there are very kind and polite and the food around here is excellent. Good for beginners. Perhaps in 2007 the slopes will increase in some kms.
I stayed in a small village, called Candelário (around 10 kms from the slopes). Lovely... give it a try.
February 27, 2006
anthony from Portugal
Off-pistes in Sierra de Bejar are excellent.
January 11, 2006
Embaixador from Portugal
I found Béjar in a showroom in Lisbon and decided to give it a try. Not too big but perfect for beginners. Perfect organization, the prices are good, especialy when compared to other small resorts around. Good accessibility and the staff are very nice to the visitors. Its 15 km of snow tracks are perfect for a weekend or a small vacation. Enjoyed it very much!!!