Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows Resort Reviews
4 pm 21 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows at m altitude issued:
Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows Ski Resort
December 04, 2014
some local from United States
I'd like to point out that the nearest airport to Shirley Meadows is in Bakersfield. It's a small one though. For big planes the nearest airport would be in Los Angeles. Saying that, San Francisco being remotely close to the location of Shirley Meadows is false lol. Get your facts straight! Source: I'm a local in the area.
Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows Ratings
Overall: 2.9. Based on 3 votes and 7 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows.
Public Transport: 2.7
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 1.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows.
Ski in/Ski out: 1.5
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.3
(1) There are no snow groomers at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.0
(1) Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.7
(1) The staff at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 5.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.7
(1) Overall, Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.5
(1) Overall, Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 20, 2011
Pimp Daddy from United States
I live in the area, great place to spend the weekend. Kids can learn how to snowboard in a very nice environment with moderate slopes. Lifts are kid friendly and the staff are always willing to help get you started if needed. Come see what a gem this place is, the owners are great, the park it great.
December 03, 2011
PBJ from United States
Wonderful place. Spent numerous days with the family last year. Great place to learn how to ski as it's kind of a beginners hill, with a couple BD's. (black diamond) You can make loads of runs and the lift lines were short. The ride up is about 4 minutes. Go there to get a good workout and have a Family Fun Day. Oh yes, hot chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon were awesome.
February 06, 2011
Sheri' Bryant from United States
Alta Sierra Ski Resort (Alta Sierra at Shirley Meadows) is a wonderful family resort. Great place to learn and also to come and ski and avoid the long lines of other ski resorts. A great place to visit after enjoying the mountain all day is The Greenhorn Grill in Alta Sierra.
December 11, 2005
Jim Atkins from United States
Awesome resort. No lines and you can ski your butt of all day. At night, we enjoy goping to Kernville and staying at some of the local bed and breafasts. The kids love Shirley Meadow, and is a great family resort.
December 11, 2005
Mark Winger from United States
Great family resort. The new owners have put a lot of money back in to the resort over the last few years. We travel from Los Angeles to Shirley Meadows to ski becuase it's a wonderful family resort. The owners are always on the mountain which creates the "family" atmosphere.
December 08, 2005
Rod Kane from United States
Great little family ski hill. Terrain is all beginner to intermediate, but some expert terrain can be found in the trees after a snowfall of 4' or more.