Raise (Lake District Ski
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Raise (Lake District Ski Ski Resort
February 06, 2018
Bernhard from United Kingdom
Good fresh Snow, opening 07/02/2018.
Raise (Lake District Ski Ratings
Overall: 2.5. Based on 5 votes and 6 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Raise (Lake District Ski.
Public Transport: 1.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Raise (Lake District Ski, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Raise (Lake District Ski, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.8
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 1.3
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Raise (Lake District Ski.
Ski in/Ski out: 1.4
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Raise (Lake District Ski, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Raise (Lake District Ski is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Raise (Lake District Ski relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 1.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Raise (Lake District Ski, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Raise (Lake District Ski are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Raise (Lake District Ski is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 1.2
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Raise (Lake District Ski, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 5.0
(1) Raise (Lake District Ski usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 5.0
(1) The staff at Raise (Lake District Ski are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Raise (Lake District Ski are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 1.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 1.2
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 2.8
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Raise (Lake District Ski has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Raise (Lake District Ski, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 1.4
(1) Not even a kicker at Raise (Lake District Ski, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Raise (Lake District Ski, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Raise (Lake District Ski has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 1.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.2
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 5.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 5.0
(1) Overall, Raise (Lake District Ski is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.8
(1) Overall, Raise (Lake District Ski is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 30, 2016
Bernhard from Falkland Islands
Raise: if you are a keen skier and enjoy a challenge you will love Raise in the Helvellyn Range; very often you can skin up to the ski area or take an hour's hike to the slope and enjoy a day of lift access to some good red and blue runs (not for complete beginners). At the end of the day some skiers decide to walk over to the Helvellyn face and do an extreme off-piste run down to Red Tarn (not for the fainthearted); seek local advice and enjoy...
February 12, 2016
Craig from United Kingdom
Took a day off work after hearing there was heavy snow at Raise. Went up on 14/1/2016 and met up with members whom I met on the Facebook group. The snow was deep and it took just over an hour and a half to get to the lodge but it was worth it! It's not a groomed slope but the conditions were superb! I'd only ever visited na inside slope so this was my first time outside. 2ft of powder in most places took some getting used to (as did the tow) but it was an enjoyable experience. Did not have to brave the walk back to the car park as it was skiable all the way down off-piste!
January 08, 2012
j from United Kingdom
There is plenty of off piste and many interesting geological features.
January 15, 2010
Stuart from United Kingdom
Raise is a great place to ski and board with a variety of runs: medium to hard. With a warm welcome to all new members.
February 03, 2009
David Bates from United Kingdom
Raise is an amazing place but don't expect the Alps in quality snow or runs. This is for the hardcore skier or snowboarder who doesn't mind walking for an hour either way to enjoy the scenery and good times. You must join the club at Raise to use the tow but this can be done when you get there; see the Lake District ski club website. It's really worth it and I have never had so much satisfaction like boarding in The Lakes.