- Other resorts in Greece are reporting: powder (0) | good piste (0)
- Get e-mail snow alerts for Pilion
- Print this forecast
Visitor reviews for Pilion Ski Resort
March 03, 2012
Rib Driver from Greece
This little ski resort is truly amazing, both in terms of the scenery and in terms of the utter incompetence of its management to maintain a climate of civility and order in the lift lines during weekends. I skied there today (March 3, 2012) and I must admit that the usual indifference of the lift attendants towards those who cut in front of skiers waiting in lift lines reached new heights. Given that the lift that was servicing the youth races taking place there broke down, all the kids in the resort started pretending they were athletes and in classic Greek tradition attempted en mass to cut at the front of the lift lines. It was obvious that the kids attending the lifts were letting their friends cut in front of everyone else. Unfortunately, the ski resort management need to decide what kind of business they want to run.
Based on 13 votes. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Pilion.
Public Transport: 3.1
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Pilion, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Pilion, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.6
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Pilion.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Pilion, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Pilion is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Pilion relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Pilion, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Pilion are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Pilion is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.2
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Pilion, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.1
(1) Pilion usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 2.8
(1) The staff at Pilion are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Pilion are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.1
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 2.7
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Pilion has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Pilion, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Pilion, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Pilion, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Pilion has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.2
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 2.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.5
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.5
(1) Overall, Pilion is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.4
(1) Overall, Pilion is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
Based on 13 votes. Vote
February 22, 2011
olympios from United Kingdom
I had the best ski lesson today. I have only skied three times before. Today was my second proper lesson. My teacher took me around the lower slopes and on the chair lift for the first time. I feel a better skier now and I can't wait to go back.
Olympios, aged 9
March 09, 2010
Nikos from Greece
Pelion is the most beautiful ski resort I ever skied on. Ok, equipment is old but the runs are exiting and the scenery is amazing. Try going in clear skies and you will see Mt Athos to Mt Parnasos easily and the magic of the Aegean sea of course. What a great day off!
February 18, 2010
Chris Wicks from United Kingdom
We love to ski on Pelion (Pilion). A small but incredibly friendly centre and so beautiful. Avoid the weekends and there are so few people you never have to queue for lifts. The range of runs is excellent.
A big concern is the lack of investment to maintain lifts. Pelion 1 has not worked for many weeks now as it has some major repairs needed and I am told by workers there, the centre operators do not seem willing or able to make the investment.
Today with excellent snow and warm sunny skys the 2 person lift was closed for 2 days maintenance. So it is not possible to ski the top runs which are the best and most varied. Our friends from England may not risk coming again all this way. Let us hope the investment to maintain the equipment is made otherwise I fear this centre (Pilion) will decline and loose all custom other than those who live very nearby.
November 16, 2008
shitz from Greece
Pilio is just unique - mainly for its flora but also for the well known 24 villages some of which retain their traditional -first half of the 20th century- architecture as a whole.
The climate is special too given that a ski resort of just 1500m at the top has frequently in the past hit some maximum coverages. Forest thickness is amazing!
And there is always the sea...Must see!
January 31, 2006
NASOS from Greece
Pelion is of the most beautiful Greek mountains, it is part of the Greek mythology and it's a good choice for winter and summer vacations too. It is a friendly snow resort, not dangerous. It has many things to see, like villages, and the traditional food will be a reason to extend your holidays. In Summer you can swim in the Aegean pelagos, very friendly sea. Watch the mountain behind the amazing beaches. Talk about paradise duuuude!!!
November 05, 2005
Stavros from Greece
PILION IS ONE THE BEST MOUNTAINS IN GREECE. IT IS NOT VERY HIGH BUT IT IS VERY BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS THICK FORESTS AND IT IS COVERED WITH SNOW ABOYT 6 MONTHS.IT IS WORTH VISITING IT AND DO NOT FORGET TO TRY TRADITIONAL FOOD IN ITS 24 VILLAGES