Ovindoli Resort Reviews
7 pm 28 Jun 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Ovindoli at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Ovindoli Ski Resort
November 11, 2006
Gerry Iacovitti from Canada
Commercially unspoiled. Local people and culture, along with intimate size of the village lead to amazing charm. My kind of place, very understated. I like to find fun myself, without the constant bombardment of corporate influence... those who like discos, bars, hipsters/scensters would be bored, but I suppose most of you are always bored. Most establishments in Ovindoli are locally operated. The only people who really know of the area are the Romani, but they're tolerated... just kidding. There could be more runs created, but I suppose that could infringe on the areas charm. A short hike will allow for some off piste possibilities. Nice in the summer too. The cable car runs up to the treeline in the summer; a short hike will take you to the summit of around 7300 ft, just watch out for the wild boars :)
Overall: 4.6. Based on 4 votes and 3 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Ovindoli.
Public Transport: 3.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Ovindoli, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Ovindoli, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Ovindoli.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.5
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Ovindoli, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Ovindoli is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Ovindoli relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Ovindoli, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Ovindoli are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Ovindoli is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Ovindoli, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 5.0
(1) Ovindoli usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.2
(1) The staff at Ovindoli are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Ovindoli are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.8
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.5
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Ovindoli has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Ovindoli, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Ovindoli, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Ovindoli, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Ovindoli has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 5.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.5
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.5
(1) Overall, Ovindoli is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 5.0
(1) Overall, Ovindoli is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
March 21, 2006
Bob from Ireland
Spent a few days boarding here in the second week of March. I was dubious about how good this place (which I had never heard of) was going to be. It was absolutely brilliant. We wanted a cheap holiday with great snow and that was exactly what we got. If you want to drink wine and play cards (on a limited budget) in the evening then happy days otherwise very little going on. It is very cheap compared to other places that I have been around Europe. We were pretty much the only foreigners around. Great piste, great off-piste. Snow was fresh (March 9-14). Only negative was the weather with a lot of low cloud and snow but that's the risk you take. Would definitely come back for a few days - a week may be a little long.
December 14, 2005
fabio attili from Italy
This is a great year!!
The season started on the 3rd of December 2005 with 40 cm of snow in the village and 110 cm at the summit of the lifts.
Now (14th December) all the lifts are opened and the temperature is perfect to ride the snow with my snowboard (I use to go with hard snowboard like many others in Ovindoli).
Attractive town in the Apennines below the Magnolo summit offering extensive skiing for all abilities to 2223m. Lower down the pistes run between the trees and have extensive snowmaking, but the top third of the ski area is above the tree-line and contains off-piste possibilities in 3 wide bowls..