Ski Japan - Shizuoka

Mount Fuji Resort Reviews

• Weather Forecast for Mount Fuji at  m altitude issued: 8 am11 Dec 2016 (local time)
Ski Japan - Shizuoka

Mount Fuji Resort Reviews

JaMount Fuji

Use the buttons below to tell us…

Visitor reviews for Mount Fuji Ski Resort

• September 02, 2014
    from Japan

Since discovering this site, I always check the weather forecast on the summit before going to Mt. Fuji.

I have been to the summit 25 times now. The forecast, on this site, is generally very accurate but the weather on Fuji is changeable and on my last trip (August 15) the forecast was for a clear night sky, mild temperatures and all good for a sunrise. Things took a turn around 01:00 around 3200m with heavy rain and very strong winds. The rain stopped around 05:00 but the winds remained moderately strong until at least 07:00 by which time I was heading back down from the summit.

Most important thing is to be prepared just in case there is a change in the weather. Some extra layers and waterproofs, even when the forecast is good, are definitely a must.

Mt. Fuji is great. I have this site bookmarked and I'm often checking the forecast a week ahead if I get that feeling I need to go to again.

Safe climbing !

• Mount Fuji Ratings

Overall: 2.8. Based on 2 votes and 7 reviews. Vote

Access: 4.0

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Mount Fuji.

Public Transport: 3.0

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Mount Fuji, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Scenery: 5.0

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Accommodation: 1.0

(1) No places to stay in/near Mount Fuji, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 5.0

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 1.0

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Mount Fuji.

Ski in/Ski out: 1.0

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 1.0

(1) There are no child care facilities at Mount Fuji, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowsure: 3.0

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Mount Fuji is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Snowmaking: 1.0

(1) Mount Fuji relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 1.0

(1) There are no snow groomers at Mount Fuji, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Mount Fuji are groomed daily.

Shelter: 1.0

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Mount Fuji is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 1.0

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Mount Fuji, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 5.0

(1) Mount Fuji usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 1.0

(1) The staff at Mount Fuji are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Mount Fuji are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 5.0

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Hire and Repairs: 1.0

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Variety of pistes: 5.0

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Mount Fuji has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Beginners: 5.0

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 5.0

(1) No intermediate terrain at Mount Fuji, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 5.0

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 1.0

(1) Not even a kicker at Mount Fuji, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Off-piste: 5.0

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Cross-country: 3.0

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Mount Fuji, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Mountain Dining: 1.0

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 1.0

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 1.0

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 1.0

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 1.0

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 3.0

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 5.0

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 5.0

(1) Overall, Mount Fuji is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 5.0

(1) Overall, Mount Fuji is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

• October 08, 2013
    from United States

I did a solo night hike last weekend. I climbed starting around sunset on October 5th, 2013. The forecast on this site had showed the minimum temperature at the peak to be 7C overnight and clear skies. When I reached the peak about an hour before midnight the fog was so thick that visibility was less than 5 feet. It was difficult just to find the buildings. Then the temperature began to drop and the wind picked up. In the morning when I woke up my water bottles had frozen inside my pack that I was sitting against. It would take temperatures around -5C to do this, much colder than 7C. So please be careful and prepared that the summit of the mountain can be much colder, wetter, and windier than this websites suggests.

But with that said the sunrise was beautiful and well worth the danger and discomfort of spending the night at the top. I would go again in much worse conditions.

• July 14, 2012
    from Thailand

My husband and I climbed Mt. Fuji just a few days ago, July 11th in the evening until the morning of July 12 in hopes of seeing the summit sunrise early in the a.m. There is a background history of our/my intentions of making the hike. While my father was stationed near Tokyo in the early 1960s with the United States Air Force, he climbed but his hiking stick with all the brands and stamps was stolen. Therefore, since I am living in Bangkok now with my husband, I wanted to climb Mt. Fuji in a trip to Japan, and earn back his hiking stick over 45+ years later to take back when we return to the United States.
    I checked the weather conditions, but there was nothing that could have prepared us for this trip up and down the mountain! We took the JR to Otsuki, then a commuter train to Kawaguchiku. When we arrived, it was sprinkling. I began to get nervous and then even more so because we learned from the attendants at the Kawaguchiku station that the last bus to take us to the 5th Gogome had already left just 20 minutes earlier. In a panic, we contracted with a taxi driver to drive us to the 5th station. It cost us 12,500 Yen! That was about $160 USD, but I had come this far and was not going to let my father or us down. So we paid the cash, and as we were driving along, it was dark and gloomy with rain.
    When we arrived, there was nobody really there, just a few people walking around in and out of the shop. We purchased a cheap set of rain gear and a cover for my husband's backpack, which kept his expensive camera inside. We met a young man from Germany who asked if he could hike with us. The shop closed at 10 and that is when we began our ascent.
    Again, we have never done this before, but this was completely out of our league, and as we'd learn the next morning upon arrival back at the 5th station, something that ranks among one of the worst conditions on record according to one Japanese guide, who leads groups up and down the mountain as a job, and he's hiked the mountain over 150 times!
    Thank goodness I got the rain gear. If I was smarter, I'd have put the pants on at the outset, but it wasn't raining so much at the lower elevations. We stopped at the 7th station to get out of the rain that was becoming heavier, along with stronger winds.
    Even with the intense and severe weather conditions, we were making good time along the Yoshida Trail, the one most popular to climb at night because it is from this side of the summit to the top that one can see the sunrise. That is what we were aiming for. Unfortunately, we would not see a sunrise with the thick fog and cloud cover bringing the rain we endured.
    We kept going, and stopped briefly to talk to some attendants at one hut at the original 8th station. He said about 40 more minutes and we'd summit. He invited us in, but we decided to keep going and we knew we would turn around right away and descend because it would be before sunrise, and we couldn't see anything anyway.
    We kept going and then it got so severe, I was so scared for my life. Now, we are not climbers by nature. My husband is a P.E. teacher and I run many marathons, do Muay Thai, play soccer, lift weights, etc. You get the idea. We are in shape, but being physically fit was nowhere near what it took to get through this rough stretch which seemed interminable!
    I forgot to mention that because it was raining so much and so hard, nobody could brand our walking sticks, which was the ícing on the cake, if you will. It was so terrible we were crouching down holding on to the sides we could grip to avoid being whisked away by the powerful winds and rain. My husband had no protection gear on, and he was actually wearing shorts. Amazingly, however, we weren't cold while climbing, even though it was about 5 degrees Celsius, with over 70 km. winds coming at us. We were so scared for our safety that after we finished, just 300 meters shy of the summit, where we could see two lights, maybe from flashlights where people were seeking shelter somehow (although I was told there is nothing at the summit except the summit itself), we had to turn around and try our best to get to shelter. We have never been so scared for our lives! And everything we read was about how Mt. Fuji is not an intense hike, that there are 70-year old women and people who wear sandals to hike. Maybe it was because we were in the dark, but that just added to the fright, and we could not understand how people would consider this an easy feat by any means.
    Regardless, we took our time little by little, hiding and shielding ourselves somehow from the sleet and sideways rain pouring over us, soaking us through our clothing and climbing gear, and the strong winds in the night. We made it to some inn, crouched in a bathroom where we saw two men who also decided to turn around. I was feeling so depressed because we hadn't reached our goal. It was barely 4 a.m., so it took us roughly 5.5 hrs. in such conditions, where this trail is estimated to normally take about 5-7 hrs, in favorable weather, probably later in July or in August. Being so early in the climbing season, maybe it is this intense. I was not sure. But we were soon asked to leave by an attendant at this inn unless we each paid 3000 yen for just 3 hours. We literally did not have a choice, and thankfully after our expensive cab trip, we had just enough to cover that expense, and the bus fare back to the train station of 1500 yen apiece. It was enough time for the sun to rise and for my husband to get out of his wickedly soaked clothing, get in to a sleeping bag and take a rest. We were so shaken with the heightened emotional states we were in. I didn't sleep a wink. I just listened to that wind whistle through and rock this little inn, coupled with the noise of other guests who were getting ready to depart, and the rain picking up in strength.
    Fortunately, when it was time to leave, we had sunlight, but when I saw the light and the mountain, I was even more scared to know what we had actually climbed up without seeing except for maybe 5 feet in front of ourselves with our tiny flashlights. Our clothes were still pretty wet, but we heard it would take about 4-5 hrs. in these conditions to descend. We knew we had better get going to get back on that bus at the 5th station in a reasonable time frame. While the wind was still crazy, along with the rain, descending on the Yoshida Trail was, well, for lack of better words, quite pleasant and much easier than not being able to see where we were to go. We saw many guide posts that had been yanked from their original positions in the mountain, probably due to the winds. The trail at that point going down was pretty flat, but you needed to be cautious that you didn't slip on some of the larger lava rocks on those switchbacks and curves. It was pretty narrow in some parts. We saw many others hiking down who also said they stopped, but I think we were among the only few who made it up so far that night. In fact, we warned time and time again to others who were passing us while we were coming back down, DO NOT GO! TURN AROUND! IT IS TOO DANGEROUS. Now, many spoke English, but how to explain this in Japanese in the darkness with crazy winds and rain halting us from maintaining any sort of upright position or grip? Some just didn't get it and they kept going.
    It gets better. We descended in about 1.75 hours. We saw many police vehicles at the 5th station and many were huddled inside the shop where we'd purchased our gear. It was there that we learned that all buses were canceled! The conditions were so bad even at the base of the mountain that they were not letting any buses come up to retrieve us hikers and tour guests who'd climbed throughout the night! What were we going to do? We had only enough yen to get us on a bus back to the train station, and there were no ATMs to extract cash, even to pay a taxi once again! (insert sarcastic laugh there). However, we began talking with one Japanese tour guide, who was especially helpful, as he speaks English well, and he explained this to us. He said in all his years and over 150+ hikes up the mountain, he has never witnessed it like this in July. In a way, I felt somewhat relieved and amazed just by how much we achieved the night before. Here we were, rushing to get back down the mountain and a bus would not even be coming for us. Anyway, after about 20 minutes of standing in the shop and changing in to some other clothing, taking off my rain gear, we were informed by this tour guide that they would send a couple buses, but those would be the only buses and the rest would be stranded until the next day when the weather (hopefully) would improve. It was just that dangerous for even vehicles to travel the distance from the base of Mt. Fuji to where we were at the 5th station. Just shortly before 11 a.m., about 2 hours after we got back, a couple of buses arrived to take about 150 of us back to Kawaguchiku Station and the direct bus to Shinjuku. In fact, when we got back to the entrance gates, we were 'greeted' by TV reporters and cameras to get the stories on what had happened. Boy, that would have made an interesting story if I could only speak Japanese. We had spoken with many hikers, young, old, foreign and Japanese who had made the journey, and many had similar stories and fears as us. Like I said earlier, I was depressed because my only wish was to get that walking stick branded at every single station we could, and either mail it or bring it back with me in a year when I return to Wisconsin to visit my parents and family. The picture my father painted about his climb was very different indeed from what my husband and I experienced. I like to think we are adventurous, fearless in some senses, and especially fit. But this 'adventure' played with our emotions and conscience beyond my wildest imagination. Surely, the evening of July 11 to the dawn/early morning of July 12, 2012 will live in our memories forever. With or without branding and stamps on my stick for my father, it will be such a pleasure to give that to him. No pictures to even prove we did it, but I am not a good enough liar to make up a tall tale like this. So now Mt. Fuji is just a memory. And if there was any more icing left to top that cake, it came when I saw a recent Instagram photo posted that showed beautiful Mt. Fuji with green pastures leading up to it in the distance, taken just one day before we hiked. Certainly, their photo doesn't match up to the experience or image I paint in my own head when I think of Mt. Fuji. I just wish maybe it would have been clearer to see that sunrise, but it probably would not have accounted for such a magnificent story, now would it?

• August 10, 2011
    from India

A big salute first of all to Fuji san.
    This is one experience that I will never forget throughout my lifetime. The feeling of bliss and ecstasy of reaching the summit is out of this world. I have been living in Japan only for the past 3 months and having achieved this feat makes me feel very proud.
    We were a group 11 and we started the climb at 8:50 pm on 29 July 2011 and reached the 8th station at around 1 a.m. This is the point where people start giving up as it gets colder and the climb takes a toll on you. 3 of our group dropped out here. After a short rest we started our ascend towards the summit and by the time we reached the 9th station it was 3 am. From here on it's just ones will power that takes them to the summit. The peculiar silence and the head lights swaying around with ice cold wind blowing is something that has to be experienced. At 4.30 am we reached the summit and we could see the feeling of kings and queens of the world on everybody's face who had achieved this amazing thing. It was the same with us too!
    For all the years to come these memories will remain in everyone of our hearts. A BIG thanks to Japan and its wonderful helpful people.
    If you are in Japan, just pack a bag and head to Fuji.
    Krishnan

• April 16, 2011
    from Iran

Sorry I forgot to send my condolences to all Japanese families who lost their honoures during last earthquakes accompanied with great disaster caused by next Sunami. and the problems of Fukushima nuclear power plant.
    The nation who had passed the wastages of 2 previous accidents of Hiroshima and Nagazaki and are bearing the side effects yet !
    I remember an earthquake there in Japan during our stay in 1974, when we were rested at room in week-end mid day, sunday.
    The strength was as much as we fell down to the floor from our beds.
    we jumped up to leave dormitory by stairs from 7th. stages.
    But outside in middle of street, we saw just our small group of Irananians there, without any Japanese fellow workers arround!
    Soon after, we returned back, passing through the looks of astonished wide eyes of Japanese reception staffs ! who were saying something like the challenge of the technology against such a phenomenon !
    I hope such disasters do not repeat nowhere, never and for none...