Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil Resort Reviews
7 am 21 Oct 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil at m altitude issued:
Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil Ski Resort
February 25, 2010
Lee Bellion from United Kingdom
I have been skiing in Morgins (Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil) for years and it's a great place for skiing. Situated inbetween the ski runs of Chatel (FR) and the ski runs of Champoussin (CH), so each day there are new runs to discover. Perfect resort for beginners as the blue runs can be found at the top of the Foilleuse lift so beginners have the opportunity to see the Dents des Midi mountain range. The piste "La Combe" is a lovely wide piste good for beginners and intermediates. Swiss exchange rate does make things a little expensive but a meal in the Cafe des Sports is a must! With new ski lifts on the plans, Morgins is the place to go. A perfect resort for all!!
Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil Ratings
Overall: 4.0. Based on 3 votes and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil.
Public Transport: 3.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.3
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.3
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.7
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.7
(1) There are no snow groomers at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.7
(1) Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.7
(1) The staff at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.7
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.3
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.7
(1) Not even a kicker at Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.3
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.3
(1) Overall, Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 01, 2009
Heidi from United Kingdom
Morgins is still a beautiful ski village and family orientated. Famillies with older teenagers (or younger parents!) will be pleased to hear that the two main bars in the village are under new management and have lots of events, djs, gigs and themed evenings planned for this winter. The night club also has French djs who come over to do guest spots. This doesn't detract from Morgins charm; it just adds an extra dimension to the place.
April 08, 2009
Krinks from United Kingdom
This (Morgins - Les Portes du Soleil) is a great place to explore the Portes Du Soleil. Morgins is a chocolate box village with some great little eateries; you must try the vin chaux from the restaurant on the ski home from Champoussin, fantastic and worth the visit. Highly recommended with children; very safe and friendly resort. Love it.
March 25, 2008
Travelled Skiier! from United Kingdom
Ignore any previous reviews - if you're looking for the real experience without loud bars, fried food and end to end discos - this beautiful little chocolate box Swiss village is for you.
Whether you are a family with small children or a couple looking for adventurous skiing, Morgins has it all - but don't come if you are looking for top nightlife clubs! You may pay a little more but the restaurants serve freshly cooked local fare!
Morgins is linked to a huge area of skiing for the more discerning skier who will never be bored! Like most resorts: avoid the peak school holiday times!
Let Morgins speak for itself!
December 01, 2006
Smoucher from United Kingdom
This place is horrible. Terribly crowded, poor lift service. No decent restaurants, no night-life. Very over-priced compared to nearby resorts.