Mayrhofen Resort Reviews
1 pm 09 Oct 2015(local time) Weather Forecast for Mayrhofen at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Mayrhofen Ski Resort
November 11, 2013
m.chapple from United Kingdom
Skied Mayrhofen this year and enjoyed most aspects of what it had to offer. It was a family event. Firstly, the accommodation was a 65m2 apartment; 3 bedrooms, for 5 people which was a joy. The town is indeed picture postcard with plenty going on off the slopes; swimming/water park is great. The skiing itself is not door step for sure, but away from the busy times this was not a problem. The runs are varied with excellent mountain cafes along the way. Yes, this resorts ticks plenty of the right boxes and it must be half the costs of its Swiss and French counterparts. Booked to go to Mayrhofen for Feb 2014.
Overall: 4.5. Based on 18 votes and 46 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Mayrhofen.
Public Transport: 4.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Mayrhofen, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Mayrhofen, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.5
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Mayrhofen.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.7
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Mayrhofen, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Mayrhofen is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Mayrhofen relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.8
(1) There are no snow groomers at Mayrhofen, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Mayrhofen are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Mayrhofen is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.9
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Mayrhofen, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Mayrhofen usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.7
(1) The staff at Mayrhofen are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Mayrhofen are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.7
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.9
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.6
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Mayrhofen has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Mayrhofen, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.8
(1) Not even a kicker at Mayrhofen, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Mayrhofen, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Mayrhofen has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.6
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.8
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.4
(1) Overall, Mayrhofen is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.6
(1) Overall, Mayrhofen is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
October 04, 2012
partygirl from United Kingdom
Me and my mates were in Mayrhofen last winter and had an absolute wild time. We are 6 female snowboarders from Bristol and we partied hard, real hard. We boarded around the VANS park and the Penkon, then started to party at 3.30 up top, before going to the Ice Bar by the Penkon lift. Now that place has an atmostphere with some cool people. We liked the Schlussel later, about 10.30 where the more mature guys treated us girls.
Brill hol and back for more in Feb 2013. Rocknroll
March 02, 2012
JIM CLARK from United Kingdom
Hi, just skied 2 weeks in Zillertlal. Tell you what..awesome.
Ok, maybe a good winter, but we skied powder and lush snow every day. The variation is brilliant.
Mayrhofen..powder..park..apres!..Gerlos..powder and more..Hintertux..mega..party on.
What more can I say!
February 16, 2012
gerhard from Austria
Another 55cm powder snow this morning down in village today. Trying to get my car out this morning with difficulty, no work today so going skiing instead ,snowsville.
[note from the editor: if you are able to submit regular snow reports to the website, please do write to the Help Desk :
February 06, 2012
Jane,from,kent from United Kingdom
Hello, returned yesterday (come down blues :( ) from a mixed ski holiday to the resort of Mayrhofen in the Austrian Alps. There were 18 in total staying in 3 different accommodations.
Usually we get a large group chalet in France, but decided on a change of scenery this year. What a pleasant surprise I got and so did the majority of the group.
The accommodation was great, spacious, private (no chalet bores) and felt upmarket compared to the cramped French chalets. The skiing was also a surprise: plenty of reds and blues and some harder stuff for the boys who also were raving about it. However, it was the town itself I most enjoyed. What a great party town.
Overall, good skiing, superb apres, brill hotel food, spa and jacuzzi and it was voted in on the last night, unanimously to return in 2013. Can't wait.
January 22, 2012
gerhard from Austria
Back again in the Sport Hotel. Fantastic conditions this morning with another 50cm of fresh snow up top and 30cm still in the village at 630m.
Working this afternoon but just did first lift up this morning and had some brilliant off-piste powder skiing. You could ski everywhere and anywhere and the mountain was quiet. What a season, probably one of the best for 20 years.
December 31, 2011
gerhard from Austria
Sitting in the Sport Hotel watching the 3rd straight day of snow and 40cm in the village. Going to be a great season. New bars this year along with further new lifts and mountain restaurants. Impressive resort........... and that's from an Innsbruck resident and regular St Anton skier.
November 28, 2011
John G from United Kingdom
Why is the Zillertal valley excellent? Forget the crowded Penken lift and go to the one near Hippach. Easy to get up & down and less busy.
Then take a 15 minute train ride to Zell am Ziller and do the runs to Krimmel. Awesome. Then try the Kaltenbach area (just a little further by train) and you have another super resort. Why anyone could fault the Zillertal Valley I have no idea? We're going back for the fourth time next year.
Oh, and the Zillertaler bier ist auch sehr gut!
June 20, 2011
seasonaire26 from United Kingdom
I have just completed a season in Mayrhofen, in mid April. The town is beautiful, with real heart, unlike Val or Verbier (my last 2 resorts). Ok, ski-wise not as prolific, but if you look around there is some fantastic skiing to be had.
Real people, real community and very friendly and accommodating. Superb for families.
Great apres/night life to suit all pockets and life styles.
The reviewer who complained of the lift queues, yes, agree but only at the highest part of the season from the Penkon. The Horberg lift or Finkenburg lift, accessible by ski bus, to the same area is about 10 mins away and never queues.
Hintertux glacier must be the best in Europe. Superb powder from Oct/May. Many lifts now linked in throughout the Zillertal and great resorts, each one different (Kaltenbach, Zell, Fugen, Lannersbach Gerlos).
Basically, if you want masses of pistes/off-piste/ignorant people and with no charm and to get fleeced of all your money, go to Val d'Isere/Tignes/Verbier/Courcheval etc, etc. If you want a real ski experience, real people and value try Mayrhofen.
March 21, 2011
fatboyslim from United Kingdom
Who's doing the Snowbombing this year?
Glastonbury on snow.
Don't listen to the ol fuddy duddies, Mayrhofen rocks all year.
We just came back from a week at the Stoanerhof. Best park in Europe with outrageous off-piste under the cable car. Top banana.
See you in April when the town becomes partyville.