Madesimo Resort Reviews
7 pm 28 May 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Madesimo at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Madesimo Ski Resort
January 18, 2017
paul barry from Ireland
Madesimo is a small village high in the mountains with a truly picturesque setting. Friendly small local bars and good choice of restaurants serving authentic Italian food. You don't have to walk very far in the village to access the ski lifts as there are three. The hotels are a little dated but are a good standard for most skiers or snowboarders. We, as a group, are going to Madesimo at the end of Jan 2017 and staying at the K2. This hotel is great for food and very reasonable.
Overall: 4.4. Based on 3 votes and 9 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Madesimo.
Public Transport: 4.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Madesimo, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Madesimo, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 5.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Madesimo.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.7
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Madesimo, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Madesimo is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Madesimo relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.3
(1) There are no snow groomers at Madesimo, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Madesimo are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Madesimo is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Madesimo, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 5.0
(1) Madesimo usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.7
(1) The staff at Madesimo are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Madesimo are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.7
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.7
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.7
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Madesimo has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Madesimo, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.7
(1) Not even a kicker at Madesimo, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Madesimo, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Madesimo has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.3
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.3
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.3
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.7
(1) Overall, Madesimo is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.3
(1) Overall, Madesimo is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 03, 2013
Russell from United Kingdom
This will be my 15th year. Not as many as some but I still cannot wait to enjoy the slopes and hospitality in Hotel Albergo K2. Last year I took a week late in March and spent most of the time in Val de Lei but still fantastic skiing in glorious sunshine.This year I will be there in mid January (the snow reports look good) but am sorry to note the night skiing is only on Saturdays (the day most arrive and depart!).
February 18, 2009
john mitchell from United Kingdom
Skied at Madesimo during the first two weeks in February. Fantastic snow. Some runs were closed because of too much snow. Away from weekends, it's millionaire's skiing on empty pistes.
Madesimo is well worth a visit for a few days.
November 22, 2008
Howard from United Kingdom
I really miss you Madesimo
I look forward to seeing you soon
Simply the very best and the Albergo Emet is unparalleled
unlike my skiing.
PS How is my Aquelro Bar?
December 24, 2007
mike rowlands from Australia
I lived in Milan for two years and spent quite a few days there as it is so close to the city. I think that this is a great little resort and well worth visiting for a few days.
If you're learning it is ok but not the greatest as there is a great learner slope (with a chair lift!) but the intermediate slopes aren't so great as they tend to have some very steep sections.
Intermediates - it's pretty good as there are some nice runs that are reasonable in length.
Advanced - ok as there are two great marked off-piste runs which rock when there is enough snow, not a lot else though.
Families - I reckon that it's a good spot as it isn't too big and it's easy to find people.
Good accommodation, good transport (bus leaves early from Milan and leaves at 5pm perfect!), great food and wine, friendly, not too packed although it can be at the weekends.
November 08, 2007
Jenny from United Kingdom
My husband & I have been to Madesimo on numerous occasions and always enjoy the easy going atmosphere, uncrowded lifts & pistes (except at weekends) & the all round family feel. We always stay at the Hotel Ferre which is good value, friendly & has an amazing wine list. There is skiing for all abilities and each year the lifts seem to be updated & improved. Up the mountain there are several bars & restaurants, all of which are good. The village is pretty quiet when we go in March but after a day's skiing it's enough and there are some lovely bars where you can enjoy apres-ski/pre-supper drinks. We love it !!
November 20, 2006
valodja from Czech Republic
Been there before Christmas 2005. There were just a couple of people, so ideal for speed-carve training. Only approximately half of the resort was opened and also perhaps the most beautiful part of the slopes - descending from 2950 to the Lei valley behind the hill - was closed. There was approximately 50cms of snow and some icy places later in the day on the steeper end of the slopes falling towards Madesimo village. Go there as you see all the resort is opened and you will be satisfied. So was I, even if we have actually been skying only on some 10-15kms of slopes. But it was a good&hard carve training from my view. My friends didn´t enjoy the stay so much and they didn´t agree to go there again this year :-( but you can try. Maybe just miss the weekend rush and it´ll be ok. Our week-stay was just about 140euro in an appartment with a 6 day skipass :-)) Great value for money. There are wonderful prices also at the end of March/beginning of April and the snow has had quite a good resistance until late spring in this resort in late season.
January 27, 2006
ian from United Kingdom
A fantastic place full of welcoming people, especially at the hotel Ferre where Monica and Yanie are super. You can ski the resort in a day so you really get to know the place. It is always interesting especilly at the steep end to all the runs as you get near to the village. Well worth a visit.
November 02, 2005
smithy from United Kingdom
This place taught me to snowboard,even though it isn't the best place for it,
but i really enjoyed it. the town has a descent amount of restaraunts, and has a 'homely' feel to it. the skiing is great when theres plenty of snow,
and many people i know go back there year after year.