Macugnaga Resort Reviews
12 pm 24 Jan 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Macugnaga at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Macugnaga Ski Resort
February 21, 2016
Dana De Nault from Brazil
Fantastic small Italian resort! Traditional Italian Alpine food and charm. Outstanding.
Overall: 3.9. Based on 6 votes and 16 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Macugnaga.
Public Transport: 3.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Macugnaga, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Macugnaga, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.3
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Macugnaga.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Macugnaga, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Macugnaga is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Macugnaga relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Macugnaga, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Macugnaga are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Macugnaga is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.6
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Macugnaga, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.5
(1) Macugnaga usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.8
(1) The staff at Macugnaga are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Macugnaga are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.7
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.7
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Macugnaga has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Macugnaga, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Macugnaga, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Macugnaga, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Macugnaga has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.4
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.2
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.2
(1) Overall, Macugnaga is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.7
(1) Overall, Macugnaga is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 30, 2015
Luca from Italy
30 Dicembre 2015.
Attenzione: a lasciare incustodite anche per poco tempo cose o effetti personali.
Ho lasciato la macchina fotografica nella zona vicino alla casetta dei maestri di sci la borsa con la macchina fotografica, l'hanno aperta rubato macchina, carica batterie, cavo e batteria di ricambio poi l'hanno richiusa e lasciata li.
Complimenti alle persone che frequentano questo luogo!
April 04, 2010
Claire from United Kingdom
Just come back after another great skiing holiday. Conditions are great at Macugnaga. Slopes are empty. It's really a little gem of a place. This is really a fab place to learn to ski or go for a weekend. We stayed in hotel Signal where the hoteliers really are great. They can't do enough for you & the price includes private collection from the airport & the food was great: spinach ricotta was gorgeous.
Don't go expecting amazing apres-ski though.
It's early April and they have just had 70cms of fresh snow which the snow reports website aren't reporting. It's a shame as the local area could have got more business over Easter.
The ski passes are much cheaper than other large resorts: we paid 11 euros during the week & 16 euros on a weekend.
Easyjet fly into the local airport so this reduces the overall price.
December 02, 2009
Carolyne & Martin from United Kingdom
It's great to see that Macugnaga is getting some good reviews. Plenty of stuff on 'youtube' and 'skiinfo' for those who would like to see. We'll be there again in 2010 through pinkmountainholidays.com and Rachel. By the sounds of things there will be quite a few people this season - hope we don't have to queue for the lifts!!!
November 27, 2009
Louis from United Kingdom
Can't wait to go back to Macugnaga. A group of us went to Macugnaga in March 2008. Although that year the snow conditions were not the best we had a wonderful time. The resort is quiet but we made our own fun. Fantasticaly situated with panoramic views of the mountains, the food is delicious and the people are very friendly. This time there are 22 of us going in Feb 2010 staying in the Hotel Signal. We know we are in for a fab holiday with good food, wine, conditions and company. If you want to relax, ski, and get away from the mad rush of the modern resort then I recomend a visit to Macugnaga. Most hotels will accomodate dates of your choice. Ski hard, be safe!!
November 15, 2009
Carl and Jane from United Kingdom
Had a wonderful holiday last Feb in Macugnaga; what a great find especially if you want to get away from the crowds. The resort is really friendly and we stayed in a great little family run hotel right by the piste called the Cristallo who couldn't do enough for us. We booked through pinkmountainholidays.com who were very professional and well organised. In fact we were so pleased with the holidays we have booked again for Feb 10. If you want great value, stunning scenery and the place to yourselves Macugnaga is definately the place for you.
March 12, 2009
Michelle from United Kingdom
What another great stay in Macugnaga at Hotel Signal. Claudio is the best host ever. There was plenty of snow, infact I have never seen so much snow. People are great and food is excellent. Don't think we will ever stop going to Macugnaga. We took some of our friends who couldn't ski and they loved it. Great place for beginners. Easy to reach with loads of cheap flights available.
August 18, 2008
nathaly from United Kingdom
I spent March 2008 at this resort in the hotel Dufour, with web site macugnagaresort.co.uk
Highly recommend if you are bringing children or beginners, or if you just want to ski in a relaxed atmosphere.
Nathaly & Mark
December 10, 2007
Carolyne & Martin from United Kingdom
Pleased to announce that there is now a company doing ski holidays to Macugnaga. http://www.pinkmountainholidays.co.uk/
and they've had a great start this year with plenty of snow.
February 16, 2006
Carolyne& Martin from London from United Kingdom
We've been going to Macugnaga for years and have nothing but praise for this great resort. We've tried other places but there's no place like it. The hotel Cristallo is wonderful and a very short walk to the lift (under the right conditions and provided the chickens are in their sheds, it's even possible to ski back to the hotel door).
Don't know what we'd do if we couldn't go to Macugnaga each year.
The instructors are the very best.
Great mountain restaurants. Great instructors. No queues.
A FANTASTIC PLACE!