Los Penitentes Resort Reviews
7 pm 29 Apr 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Los Penitentes at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Los Penitentes Ski Resort
July 11, 2016
Santiago from Argentina
Voy todos los años a Penitentes y veo que este año arranco una temporada muy buena de nieve, se nota la intención de mejorar en sus servicios-otros años hacían agua-, este año los medios están económicos en comparación con otros lugares y como siempre ofrece unos fuera de pistas muy buenos, ojala este año los siga acompañando las nevadas para que al fin tengan una buena temporada que les permita ingresos para mejorar la infraestructura. A seguir apoyando que es una buena alternativa.
Los Penitentes Ratings
Overall: 2.9. Based on 19 votes and 21 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Los Penitentes.
Public Transport: 3.7
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Los Penitentes, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Los Penitentes, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.4
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 1.9
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Los Penitentes.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.3
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Los Penitentes, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Los Penitentes is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Los Penitentes relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.3
(1) There are no snow groomers at Los Penitentes, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Los Penitentes are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Los Penitentes is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.5
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Los Penitentes, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 2.9
(1) Los Penitentes usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.2
(1) The staff at Los Penitentes are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Los Penitentes are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 2.6
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.5
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Los Penitentes has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Los Penitentes, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.3
(1) Not even a kicker at Los Penitentes, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Los Penitentes, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Los Penitentes has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.6
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 2.1
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.7
(1) Overall, Los Penitentes is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.8
(1) Overall, Los Penitentes is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
June 09, 2016
Jeronimo from Argentina
Esquié en todas partes del mundo como, Grandvalira, Chamonix, Vail, Aspen, Beaver Creek, Park City, Whiteface, Valdez, Queenstown, Cardrona y por todos los centros de Argentina y chile. Pero nunca como el gran Penitentes. Su calidez en un centro chico para compartir con familia y amigos es increíble y más porque allí aprendí a esquiar a los 5 años. Sin dudas en mi opinión y conocimiento es el centro de esquí con mejor calidad de nieve polvo. Te banco Penitentes!
July 02, 2012
roger blairs from Australia
Good fun day trip from Mendosa. Cheaper than Las Lenas. If you stay the night bring earplugs as the international highway runs through the resort and trucks thunder through the resort all night!
August 15, 2011
Percy from South Africa
Nice place, cheaper than Las Leñas. Near Mendoza. Not crowded. The service was good (in a hostel) and very helpful with info. Also near there you have Aconcagua Park, and Puente del Inca, with other options for lifts. It was my first time, and certainly not the last.
August 20, 2008
Sandra from Argentina
Very accurate report from snow-forecast.com.On August 15th and 16th there was a very heavy snowfall .It snowed 40 cm on bottom.The following days it was sunny with an excellent quality of snow.
May 21, 2006
roger blairs from Australia
Good little resort with some challenging runs. Cheap, no crowds. Best option is a day trip from Mendoza. Don't stay there overnight, the resort is dissected by the Transandean highway and huge trucks rumble past all night. It feels like mini earthquakes as they pass!
September 21, 2005
manuel from Argentina
very good little mountain with nice lines, although very few lifts. Very close from portillo as a good option if you dont get snow. But if you get some powder, its all for yourself, as it's never crowded.