Lauchernalp - Lötschental Resort Reviews
6 am 25 Feb 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Lauchernalp - Lotschental at m altitude issued:
Lauchernalp - Lötschental
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Lauchernalp - Lötschental Ski Resort
October 12, 2012
Jacco from Netherlands
The area is not that big. Skiing is nice. The slopes are long and some are very technical. Large off-pise area. Mostly is skiing to the village of Wiler (bottom station) not possible. The views are very nice. The valley is beautiful. Large tracks for langlaufen and hiking. In the evening you can see the mountain goats east of Eisden (small village near Blatten).
The buses are free with a skipass. Buses drive between the station of Goppenstein and Blatten and they stop, of course, at the bottom station of the cable car. The restaurants are ok, the food also. Only a few hotels which are not big hotels. Much possiblllity to rent chalet in every village.
Reaching the valley from the south is possible by car. From the north you have to go with the car on the train at the station of Kandersteg.
The airfield of Zurich is, I think, 2 hours by train. Never done that.
Lauchernalp - Lötschental Ratings
Overall: 3.9. Based on 6 votes and 2 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Lauchernalp - Lötschental.
Public Transport: 4.7
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Lauchernalp - Lötschental, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Lauchernalp - Lötschental, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.2
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Lauchernalp - Lötschental.
Ski in/Ski out: 5.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Lauchernalp - Lötschental, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Lauchernalp - Lötschental is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Lauchernalp - Lötschental relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Lauchernalp - Lötschental, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Lauchernalp - Lötschental are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Lauchernalp - Lötschental is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Lauchernalp - Lötschental, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.3
(1) Lauchernalp - Lötschental usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.3
(1) The staff at Lauchernalp - Lötschental are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Lauchernalp - Lötschental are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.2
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Lauchernalp - Lötschental has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Lauchernalp - Lötschental, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Lauchernalp - Lötschental, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Lauchernalp - Lötschental, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Lauchernalp - Lötschental has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Lauchernalp - Lötschental is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.8
(1) Overall, Lauchernalp - Lötschental is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
July 27, 2010
Zach from United States
A friend and I were planning on skiing Kandersteg one day coming down from Interlaken. However, as the train wound its way through the mountains and arrived at Kandersteg, no one got off. So, in a moment's decision, we decided to follow the crowd. In this case, following the crowd was a good decision. Everyone seemed to get off at one station and immediately started loading buses, so we followed everyone off the train and onto the buses. It turned out to be the best decision we made that trip. The mountain at Lauchernalp - Lötschental was amazing, the village was picturesque, and the sun shone all day. We spent a lot of time in the off-piste on the far skier's left side of the mountain. It was an amazing experience and some apres-ski Bier und Goulasch Suppe was a great way to end the day. We went in mid March and the weather was perfectly sunny all day, the temperature at the base hovering around 0 C. Go. It's wonderful.